“Location can't be beaten!”

Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City
Ranked #34 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Bethany
“Location can't be beaten!”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Close to restaurant, shopping. Decent size rooms. For some unknown reason I made a reservation for a handicapped room.At the reception I was told that my room is near, very, very near to the elevators. I came for a conference and I actually had a talk the next day so good sleep was very important, so the lady at the reception-Kim was extremely nice and she changed my room to a quieter one.I also received a free breakfast in the morning of my talk .The rooms are all kind of corner, mine was on the 21-st floor with spectacular views. Overall a very good experience. I am staying here for the last 3 years and I enjoy every time.

Room Tip: Handicapped accessible are closed to elevators so very noisy.
1 Thank Orly68

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This hotel is awful. There is construction going on that starts at 5am. First there's beeping from all the trucks. Then you hear the engines of the crane start up. After that, there's all manner of banging. If you're looking for a place to sleep, try somewhere else.

The front desk is also horribly rude.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank verybusybusy
KTPM, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear verybusybusy,
Thank you for the comments about your recent stay. We do apologize for the noise problems you encountered due to the nearby construction. The noise ordinance in Philadelphia requires that all contruction not take place before 7AM and the hotel has requested that the contractor abide by this rule. We closely monitor all noise violations and report them to the city. Wehave been reassured that the jack hammering that was taking place during your stay is completed and that the noise level you experienced has ceased.
Again, we apologize that your visit coincided with this stage of their construction project and hope you will stay with again in the future.
LA California
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I checked in for a one night stay at the Doubletree on South Broad Street and proceeded to my room - 2108 - and as I was unlocking the door I made a mental note that I was on the back side of the elevator shaft. Yep, you guessed it. By the way I am not waiting to write this review until I return home, I am in the room doing it now.

Upon entering my room I immediately heard the elevator mechanics making this rolling noise that sounded like a small subway train. Up and down, up and down. I called the desk to to request a new room and was TOTALLY dismissed and was told it was not possible but to check back. Who me, check back, what kind of customer service is that? So I decided to suck it up. Well upon my return from dinner it WOULD NOT STOP! I swear this was the ONLY elevator that was being used. I called down to talk to the night manager only to be told "She is with a customer." I left my name ( of course she recognized it) and I have yet to get a call back.

My suggestion is to stay at another hotel in Philly. If you do stay here ask upon check in if the room is next to the back wall of the elevator shaft. This was an extremely disappointing stay and tarnished my first trip to Philly. The one bright side is that I did get my first PhillyCheesesteak sandwich.

Very disappointed, especially since my wife and I are Hilton Honors Silver award holders so much for being in a loyalty program.

1 Thank 79
Dear 79,
Thank you for your comments and we apologize that our response to you room relocation request was not handled properly. We value you as a HHonors guest and hope that you will give us another opportunity should you return to Philadelphia. Please feel free to contact our Director of Front Office and she will make sure that your accomodations will be perfect.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed March 26, 2013

The only two things going for the Doubletree Philadelphia are their location and their very friendly and helpful staff. The hotel has never really been up to par with other members of the Doubletree/Hilton family, but now they seem to have found new ways to mislead and disappoint their guests. Though I live in Philadelphia, I occasionally like to getaway for a night every now and then. There are only a handful of hotels in center city Philadelphia that have whirlpools -- which is usually a deciding factor for me -- and now there is one fewer.

Despite advertising on hotels.com, the hotel's own website and the in-room directory of services that features a hot tub, the hotel recently removed it as part of their renovations to add more rooms. Now the gym and pool area -- which used to have a bright, sky-lit solarium and outdoor terrace -- are stuck in a windowless box and the jacuzzi is gone as well. When I spoke with one of the front desk representatives, she informed me that a number of other guests have also complained about this misrepresentation, despite the staff's calls to the Doubletree marketing/sales department. To her credit, she was very sympathetic and knocked off part (but not all) of my room rental charge.

In short, I will NOT stay at the Doubletree again and I would NOT recommend it to anyone. For the price you pay, you could stay at any number of hotels in center city -- and get a better room, better facilities and better food. Even the Hampton Inn (also a member of the Hilton family) near the convention center is nicer and a heck of a lot cheaper.

Room Tip: The corner rooms have awesome views, but only have one queen bed.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Jonathan O
Dear Jonathan O,

Please accept our apologies for the hassle and frustration the misinformation regarding our whirlpool has caused you. Any mention of the whirlpool was removed from the Hotel's webpage when the hot tub was removed. We also have requested that all third party websites, such as Hotels.com, also remove this feature. We strive to provide the best in service and accommodations and we regret you felt mislead by the advertised amenities. We will share your comments with our team and continue to find the web sites that have this misinformation corrected to prevent similar experiences moving forward. We hope you were able to enjoy your staycation in the area and apologize again for the disappointment.
Columbia, Maryland, EEUU
Reviewed March 26, 2013

i stayed while at a convention from 195/night. not a good value. the lounge bar is horrible, not enough seating and not inexpensive. internet is 10/day, and went out for a 24 hour period. location was ok, but far from convention center. not a typical doubletree. i would search for better value.

2 Thank cpgaylor
Dear cpgaylor,
Thank you for the comments regarding you recent stay for the PITTCON convention in Philadelphia. We apologize that you experienced problems with our internet connections. We see that all high speed internet services were complimentary for your group, so we hope that helped mitigate the inconvenience somewhat. Our "Stranding O" Bar is very popular with both hotel guests and locals; as a result, seating can sometimes be a challenge. Our pricing is very competetive with all of the surrounding bars and restaurants. Thank you again for sharing your comments and we hope you will try us agian when in Philadelphia.
State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a conference that was at the convention center. Used shuttle back and forth, but walked some times and it is close enough. Hotel was decent, but not quite up to the Hilton standard. The exec lounge was really minimal, and the rooms were in need of updating. Restaurant was good, as long as you got the right server. Some of them were really slow and it took forever. In general the hotel was ok, but not excellent.

Stayed March 2013
1 Thank FLDorman
Oneida, NY
Reviewed March 21, 2013

If it's location you want, you'll have a hard time beating the Doubletree. Located on Broad street just a few blocks south of Market (and City Hall), this is in easy walking distance of most everything you'd want to see in Philadelphia. The room itself was clean, spacious and attractive, and I have rarely slept in a hotel bed more comfortable than this. Parking is in a 6-story garage adjoining the premises and you can park it yourself without the need for valet service. Check-in staff were efficient, even if it came slightly at the price of friendliness, but after a 4-hour drive ... I'll take efficient every time. The chocolate chip cookie they give you didn't hurt at all. Plenty to see and do within only a few blocks and there are more great restaurants is a 5- or 6-block radius than you can count. I'm not a big fan of big cities, but Philly is my city and this is where I'll gladly stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple