“Not bad if you don't setn your expectations too high”

Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City
Ranked #35 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed October 18, 2012

This is just another typical center city business hotel. Utilitarian room, but the window which juts out at an angle makes a great difference and lends flair to a otherwise pretty dull room. Service is so so. There was a line of guests trying to check in and only one associate to help. She took her time while everybody stood waiting impatiently. Eventually another counter opened and the line started moving. When it was my turn, the lady pointed me to another counter because I was an Honors member. She said there was expedited checkin available there! And this after having waited in line for about 20 minutes. I went to the "expedited" counter and was promptly checked in. A nice touch is the warm cooki in a brown bag that gets handed to you rather unceremoniously. Only problem is that the cookies had been kept in a warming oven for so long they were hard as rocks and dry as dust. I tried eating one with a cup of coffee in my room, but could not make up my mind whether the cookie or the coffee tasted worse.

1  Thank Kangaman
OfficeoftheGM, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear Kangaman,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City. I wish that your check in experience was much more smooth. Having our Hilton Honors guests check in at a different terminal is something new to us and we are still trying to perfect that process. I do appreciate your honest feedback.
I do hope that when you do return to see us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City you will see that we have made vast progress in our check in process.
The Management

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Never, I mean N-E-V-E-R will I stay at a Hilton again. I booked a room at the Double Tree on Broad Street in Philadelphia last week, went out to dinner and returned to find half of a bottle of water, a snickers bar wrapper and bobby pins on the floor in front of my couch. The TV was also adjusted to face the couch and the coffee table was slanted as if someone put their feet up and took a break in my room. I contacted security immediately and after having to call the front desk and hotel manager three times during a very long 45 minute wait, (you would think there would be a little more sense of urgency when a customer reports a break in) the "head of security" finally arrived to tell me that nobody had been in my room and these items were a result of poor housekeeping that I had missed when arriving. These items would have been noticed the second someone walked into the room, which is what happened the second I walked into my room after dinner.

The security employee asked to take the items with him (my mistake to allow him and not call the police immediately) and offered to buy my breakfast for my inconvenience which I declined because I didn't want a free breakfast. I wanted to report an incident that I had hoped Hilton would take more seriously. I was more concerned about the guests I saw checking in and staying at the hotel, mostly seniors. I even told the head of security that I was shocked by his severe lack of urgency when a guest reports a break in and he remained completely un-phased. I didn't sleep that night and couldn't wait to check out of Hilton forever.

I called the corporate offices the following week because I really needed someone to take this seriously and spoke to a customer service representative who told me that she would contact the hotel general manager who would investigate the situation. A day later, I received an email from the general manager who advised that the "head of security" that night had reported that nothing occurred other than poor house keeping and I could be upgraded on my next visit. Since he left his work/corporate and mobile number on the email, I called both and left a message to please call me back so that we can discuss this further. Of course to this day, I have never heard from him. I called back my customer service representative to tell them how displeased I was with this response and that lack of security is a very serious issue for a hotel and that I am concerned for their guests. I was told there that nothing else would be done.

It is Hilton's total disregard for their guest's security that really leaves me bewildered. I live in New York and we are told if you see anything suspicious report it and each incident is taken seriously. With Hilton Double Tree in Philadelphia and Hilton corporate offices, I have an unauthorized person who entered my hotel room, left their trash left behind as clear evidence and I'm told that I'm seeing things! I requested a copy of my "Key Entrance Report" since they are computerized and Hilton denied the request because as the customer service representative advised, "It is for internal use only". I was also told that there was a note on the file that housekeeping would be advised of security standards due to my incident. I think the representative was throwing me bone because she heard my incredulous frustration.

So I can't even say shame on you Hilton, because you clearly do not care! I don't know how you sleep at night, because as a guest of your hotel...I couldn't! It is by far the worst experience I have ever had trying to do the right thing to keep people safe in your hotel.

DO NOT STAY HERE!!! IT IS NOT WORTH YOUR SECURITY!!! There are several very nice and very clean hotels in the close vicinity.

Room Tip: This used to be my favorite hotel, but never again. The Ritz Carlton, The Weston and The Bellevue a...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank James B

Dear James B,
The safety and security of our guests is always our highest priority, and while we will not get into a public debate about the specifics, we will state that this claim of an alleged breach of security was taken very seriously. A computer lock read of the programmable lock to the guestroom in question was performed by the Security Manager. The results of that lock readout showed there were no key card entries into the guestroom during the timeframe that the guest was away to dinner. There were also no signs of a forced entry. This information was shared with the guest in a respectful and dignified manner and within a reasonable timeframe of the hotel receiving the complaint.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

good and not as good - i stayed many times here and am hilton gold. convenient location to everything, kimmel Center, rittenhouse, washington sq west. restaurants, theater and easy access Braod street line to stadiums. rooms, nice, typical Dble Tree. Bar - terrible, one of the worst hotel bars. concierge lounge, below average. low tables and attendee uniterested.

this past stay, they have a new hilton honors check in. you are asked to go to the desk which is also a concierge and wait for your packet. Meanwhile, the front desk is handling non honors guests at a much faster pace siince there are more agents and quite frankly checkking somone in takes less time then giving directions and advice.

My advice, remove the honors check in. i waited behind someone for quite some time and ended up going back to the front desk. the front desk person treated me rudely and said my packet was over at the other desk and i would have to wait for someone to get it. Really odd as a gold to be treated that way.

bottom line, good location, good price, need to get back to treating better customers properly and please improve the bar.

Room Tip: high floors away from facing broad street

Dear MBF6288,
Thank you for taking the time post a review of your recent stay with us. Thank you for being a Gold Level Hilton Honors member and for continuing to stay with us. The moving of the Hilton Honors desk is something new we are trying and hope to keep improving the level of service that we will be able to provide to those guests checking in. I truly appreciate your honest feedback on this process.
My hopes are that when you do return to stay with us again at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City you will see we have figured out how to check you in more smoothly from our New Hilton Honors Desk.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

This was a business trip. The conference I attended was held there. Every staff member from a wide variety of departments were friendly and helpful. Smiles abound. The food served by the hotel at the conference was great. The rooms were clean. No complaints. I would stay there again.

1  Thank JBBTraveler

Dear JBBTraveler,
Thanks for taking the time to post comments on your recent stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.
It's great to have read that you had a great conference and your stay with us was wonderful.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

I stayed here for 2 days while on business. The experience to start was not great because there was no bellhop at the entrance. So I drove around the hotel and found a garage that wasn't marked very well at all. But there was no shortage of signs warning visitors to take valuables and lock doors. (And it cost me 25 per night). The staff at the registration desk were all pleasant and check in was a breeze. The rooms were all up to date, but I couldn't help but notice rust on the door hinges, and my shower wasnt working properly. The food served by catering was good. The gym was just ok.

All in all, this hotel was full of weird contrasts... Beautiful lobby; dilapidated elevators... Poorly marked garage; full of warning signs; Nicely appointed rooms... With rusty door hinges. Almost felt like they were trying really hard, but missing a few key elements.

The price was good- matched the value.

• Stayed: October 2012

Dear NicheyNouse,
I appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at the Doubletree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City. I wish there could have been more that we could have done to make your stay more than just ok-which is how I read your review. Everything was just not quite right. It does appear that the staff members that you did encounter were pleasant and helpful.
I hope that if is ever a chance to visit Philadelphia that you would come back and stay with us again at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Close to everything you may want to do in Center City. Nice view of Avenue of the Arts also, aka Broad St. The bar was comfortable & convenient. Not the friendliest bartender, but also not rude, just did his job. The restaurant staff was helpful also, & the food was quite good & extremely reasonable price-wise compared to other Hotels.
Rooms are spacious & comfortable. We would have liked an in-room mini-fridge, but used ice machine instead.
Enjoyable stay!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed over the weekend and as far as accommodations the Hotel is in need of a renovation. Room was just plain worn out. Room overall was very small compared to other Hilton properties and properties in general. Small and aged bathroom with several different colored paint patches, King bed took up most of the room but it did have a small desk and chair for working at. Bed was very comfortable and overall the room was clean and organized. As a Diamond member we were given a free continental breakfast coupon for each morning but we had to pay the difference for a full breakfast. This was a first for us as long time Diamonds that we had to pay for a 'breakfast upgrade". It was only 4 bucks a person which we paid.
We definitely will not stay at this property again as there are several other options within the City Center..but as a loyal Hilton patron.. I was truly disappointed in this property.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple