“good, could be better”

Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City
Ranked #35 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed October 17, 2012

good and not as good - i stayed many times here and am hilton gold. convenient location to everything, kimmel Center, rittenhouse, washington sq west. restaurants, theater and easy access Braod street line to stadiums. rooms, nice, typical Dble Tree. Bar - terrible, one of the worst hotel bars. concierge lounge, below average. low tables and attendee uniterested.

this past stay, they have a new hilton honors check in. you are asked to go to the desk which is also a concierge and wait for your packet. Meanwhile, the front desk is handling non honors guests at a much faster pace siince there are more agents and quite frankly checkking somone in takes less time then giving directions and advice.

My advice, remove the honors check in. i waited behind someone for quite some time and ended up going back to the front desk. the front desk person treated me rudely and said my packet was over at the other desk and i would have to wait for someone to get it. Really odd as a gold to be treated that way.

bottom line, good location, good price, need to get back to treating better customers properly and please improve the bar.

Room Tip: high floors away from facing broad street
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
OfficeoftheGM, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear MBF6288,
Thank you for taking the time post a review of your recent stay with us. Thank you for being a Gold Level Hilton Honors member and for continuing to stay with us. The moving of the Hilton Honors desk is something new we are trying and hope to keep improving the level of service that we will be able to provide to those guests checking in. I truly appreciate your honest feedback on this process.
My hopes are that when you do return to stay with us again at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City you will see we have figured out how to check you in more smoothly from our New Hilton Honors Desk.
The Management Team

Write a ReviewReviews (3,557)

Reviewed October 17, 2012

This was a business trip. The conference I attended was held there. Every staff member from a wide variety of departments were friendly and helpful. Smiles abound. The food served by the hotel at the conference was great. The rooms were clean. No complaints. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JBBTraveler

Dear JBBTraveler,
Thanks for taking the time to post comments on your recent stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.
It's great to have read that you had a great conference and your stay with us was wonderful.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

I stayed here for 2 days while on business. The experience to start was not great because there was no bellhop at the entrance. So I drove around the hotel and found a garage that wasn't marked very well at all. But there was no shortage of signs warning visitors to take valuables and lock doors. (And it cost me 25 per night). The staff at the registration desk were all pleasant and check in was a breeze. The rooms were all up to date, but I couldn't help but notice rust on the door hinges, and my shower wasnt working properly. The food served by catering was good. The gym was just ok.

All in all, this hotel was full of weird contrasts... Beautiful lobby; dilapidated elevators... Poorly marked garage; full of warning signs; Nicely appointed rooms... With rusty door hinges. Almost felt like they were trying really hard, but missing a few key elements.

The price was good- matched the value.

• Stayed: October 2012

Dear NicheyNouse,
I appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at the Doubletree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City. I wish there could have been more that we could have done to make your stay more than just ok-which is how I read your review. Everything was just not quite right. It does appear that the staff members that you did encounter were pleasant and helpful.
I hope that if is ever a chance to visit Philadelphia that you would come back and stay with us again at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Close to everything you may want to do in Center City. Nice view of Avenue of the Arts also, aka Broad St. The bar was comfortable & convenient. Not the friendliest bartender, but also not rude, just did his job. The restaurant staff was helpful also, & the food was quite good & extremely reasonable price-wise compared to other Hotels.
Rooms are spacious & comfortable. We would have liked an in-room mini-fridge, but used ice machine instead.
Enjoyable stay!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed over the weekend and as far as accommodations the Hotel is in need of a renovation. Room was just plain worn out. Room overall was very small compared to other Hilton properties and properties in general. Small and aged bathroom with several different colored paint patches, King bed took up most of the room but it did have a small desk and chair for working at. Bed was very comfortable and overall the room was clean and organized. As a Diamond member we were given a free continental breakfast coupon for each morning but we had to pay the difference for a full breakfast. This was a first for us as long time Diamonds that we had to pay for a 'breakfast upgrade". It was only 4 bucks a person which we paid.
We definitely will not stay at this property again as there are several other options within the City Center..but as a loyal Hilton patron.. I was truly disappointed in this property.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This hotel was very clean and in an area that we felt safe in. We were able to walk to some restaurants and some of Philly's attractions. The service we received at this hotel was top notch. One stand out employee was Osman "Os" the bellman, he was fantastic and went out of his way for my children and us. Request a corner room on a high floor, my kids loved looking out at night and seeing all of the lights. The pool area was small and the photo on the website was a bit deceiving. It looked like they were doing some work to the outside area near the pool. If they are adding an outdoor balcony type area I think it would be fantastic. Overall nice hotel and we would stay again.

Room Tip: Request a corner room on a higher floor. The view is nice.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
OfficeoftheGM, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Dear JIIIA,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City. I will be sure to let Osman know that what he did for you folks made an impact on your stay. He is a top notch employee! It's great to know that both you and your children had such a great stay with us.
I do hope to see you again at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.
Kevin Murnane

Reviewed October 13, 2012

I recently stayed at the DoubleTree Center City on business and I have to say that I was quite impressed with my room. The furniture and view made me feel like I was Don Draper and Conrad Hilton called me into Philly to do some advertising work. Mad Men references aside, I was pleased with my room, the customer service, and the overall cleanliness and aesthetics of the hotel, but I still left disappointed. First of all, the hotel lacks self-service washers and dryers. They do offer guest laundry service, but this is inconvenient if you prefer to do your own laundry or just realize that you need clean clothes at the wrong time. I feel like if I can do my own laundry at a budget hotel, then I should at least have that option at a luxury hotel. Another problem is the lack of free internet. As a business traveler who bills hotel stays to my company, I felt very uncomfortable having to pay for internet. Overall, I loved the hotel, but feel somewhat ambivalent about my stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business