“Great Location!”

Ranked #34 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
tameka94
“Great Location!”
Reviewed March 13, 2008

Located on Avenue of the Arts. Superb location. It is a 10 minute walk to the Convention center. Great places to eat within walking distance. Locate near train station right next to hotel. Rooms were clean. I stayed on 17th floor. My television reception was poor when I arrived but a technician arrived quickly and fixed television. The bed was very comfortable. I did not use internet due to $9.99 per 24 hour price. The room service food was great and delivered on time. I ordered lunch and breakfast. I was awaken one morning by St. Patrick's day parade but otherwise noise level was fine. It was easy to get a cab when needed. I would stay here again in the future.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Internet Fee
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank tameka94

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 1, 2008

Got a great price--75 bucks plus tax for a Saturday night!--and the location was fantastic. Right on the Avenue of the Arts, which is an awesome place to stay. The theaters are there, you're close to City Hall, the Gallery, and Chestnut/Walnut Shopping! I loved the location. There was even a great pizza place right across the street! Staying at this hotel made my birthday party great! Plus, they give you freshly-baked chooclate-chip cookies when you check in!!!!!! That won me over right away.

• Liked — The location! And the cookies!!!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
NJ
Reviewed February 18, 2008

We live in NJ but wanted to get a room for the weekend in Philly as we were going to a show and would be out late. We are a young couple in our late 20's, and we didn't want to spend too much money. After looking around, the DT seemed to be our best choice. It was relatively inexpensive ($167 internet rate @ hilton.com) and the location was excellent.

We self-parked at the next door garage and we left our car there over night and the next day even after we checked out. It cost us $20, which is average. We avoided the valet.

All of the hotel staff were kind and friendly. The concierge (sp?) was very helpful, and after asking us where we wanted to eat, he directed us to a number of fun, nearby pubs withion walking distance. After the crowd at Monk's was too much, we went to Fado, an Irish pub located only 1 block from the hotel. We ate an awesome Irish breakfast there the next day as well. There were many restaurants that were fancier near by too, but we opted for a pub.

The hotel was nice, and the bedding was soft and comfy. Every single staff member was nice, from the check in staff, to housekeeping, to the doorman who flagged us a cab. It wasn't a super luxurious stay, but it was comfortable and clean.

We would definitely stay there again!

• Liked — Inexpensive for area, friendly staff, location
  • Disliked — Not very luxurious
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
4 Thank breaze345
New Jersey
Reviewed February 12, 2008

Hotel was wonderful! We stayed New Year's eve and the room was huge. Staff was super friendly. We also ate at the hotel and it was a great meal. Overall the hotel was great!

• Liked — Alot
  • Disliked — parking was hard to get
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
Wilkes Barre
Reviewed February 4, 2008

Let me say that I love this hotel, and I've stayed here a variety of times. The rooms are great, always enjoy the room service and dining options...just a wonderful stop in downtown Philly.

When I was checking out, the valet comes up to me and tells me "You have flat tire". I was in shock, but came to my senses. "OK", I think, "Ill call AAA". The other valet comes to me "We're bringing it down". What?! They brought my Land Rover down...driving on the rim all the way!!! AAA came to the scene ASAP. But the valet guy was giving me an issue about LEAVING THE CAR SIT TOO LONG! It didn't bother him that they caused the issue. Well, AAA gets an AAA for their fast and trouble free service. But once I got home and took the car in, I had to put on a replacement wheel on the car, $600 all thanks to the Doubletree valet.

Hilton won't even deal with it, they throw it onto the 'independent parking contractor' who claims no liability through the paragraph on the ticket. I though Doubletree and the Hilton Corporation would want to rectify this. I thought wrong!

So, beware the valet. They will drive on your pancake tire!

• Liked — The hotel
  • Disliked — The cracked rim from the valet drivers
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Maryland
Reviewed January 24, 2008

I stayed at this Doubletree for a conference in mid-January and had a very enjoyable stay. Initially I was concerned about street noise on Broad St, as there was a fire just down the street and fire engines sirens blaring immediately as I walked into my room. This, however, was an anomaly, and the street noise was minimal. The location of this hotel is great, as the gentrified "gayborhood" nearby is full of nice restaurants, bars, and shops.

There had been previous reviewers complaining about slow elevators. Nothing could be further from the truth. I was on the 16th floor and never had to wait more than 10 seconds for an elevator to appear.

My room was large, and although my request for a king was unavailable, the two queen beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was fine in terms of size, and the Neutrogena products were a nice touch. The shower height was a little low, as was the water pressure, though not unreasonably so. I like very strong water pressure, so this may not be a concern to most.

Check-in and check-out were a breeze.

One quibble with the Doubletree is the $9.95/24 hours charge for Internet service in the room, which seems draconian, as so many *very inexpensive* properties (Motel 6, Super 8, etc.) are now providing free wireless.

The other quibble is that the adjoining parking garage could be a little more accommodating... instead of the elevator going directly to the lobby level, you must maneuver your luggage through a small, somewhat unpleasant corridor and walk down four steps. This doesn't seem to have been considered for a person with rolling suitcases!

Still, despite these two minor inconveniences, the price and location were great and I would highly recommend this hotel to conference/convention goers!

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed January 17, 2008

I stayed four nights at the Doubletree Hotel on South Broad Street while at a conference at the Philadelphia Convention Center, and I thought it was a very pleasant hotel in a handy location. I would stay here again.
My room was clean and fairly large for a downtown hotel. The bed was extremely comfortable. There wasn't much of a view, but not a problem. The location was great on the Avenue of the Arts, with many restaurants and lots of shopping (some upscale, like Tiffany's, Ralph Lauren, etc.) in walking distance, half a block to the SEPTA line, and about five blocks from the Convention Center. I had a very easy walk to Independence Mall, maybe 10 blocks there.
I rented a car for my last night to do some extra sightseeing, and had to park in the hotel garage. It backs up to the hotel and access is easy, though parking was, not surprisingly, quite expensive and the traffic/narrow streets make it pretty dumb to drive much in Philadelphia anyway.
The hotel staff was also very friendly and helpful when I asked for some directions.

• Liked — Nice comfy bed, great location
  • Disliked — Expensive internet access
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business