“Right in the middle of things”

Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City
Ranked #33 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Ottawa, Ontario
“Right in the middle of things”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Overall I was pleased with this hotel. Check in was quick and who doesn't love to be given a warm chocolate chip cookie. The room was a nice size, but the bathroom was on the small side. I had a room overlooking Broad Street which was nice. The location of the hotel is superb, but yes you are going to hear the traffic and sirens that seem to never end. It's a price to pay to stay in a great location. The bed was very comfortable with plenty of pillows. My room was right near the elevators and I wasn't bothered by any hallway or elevator noise. Although the bathroom was on the small side you are provided with plush towels, which I find is something rare these days. Parking is expensive, but once again this comes with staying downtown. There are plenty of shops and restaurants all within walking distance.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
OfficeoftheGM, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear aveclesfilles,
Yes! Everyone loves a cookie!
Thanks for posting a review of your recent stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.
I appreciate you recognizing that some things are not in our control and will just be the way they are because we are in a Center City location. That being said our location gives you access to shops, restaurants, theatre and subway-all within walking distance.
If your travels bring you back to Philadelphia I hope that you choose to stay with us again at the Doubletreeby Hilton Philadelphia Center City.
Kevin Murnane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (552)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Oakland, California
Reviewed October 4, 2012

If the service was strong, this would be a "must stay" hotel...but I'll get to the service later.
The hotel is relatively new, and very beautifully appointed - both the public areas and the rooms. The lobby is beautiful, and the lobby bar is open, welcoming, and comfortable. The restaurant is on the mezzanine level and removed from the hustle of the lobby - nice. I had breakfast there, and it was fine (not memorable). The location is EXTREMELY convenient if you are going to any of the major theater/arts venues - all within easy walking distance - and easy walking distance to Walnut Avenue and great shopping. They call themselves "Center City" but technically they are in the Arts District and quasi Rittenhouse District...but a very short and easy walk to Center City.
My room was on the 26th floor (top floor) on a corner. Huge, gorgeous views, quiet, well appointed. I didn't expect this nice room from a DoubleTree. Nicely surprised. Valet was quick and courteous.
Now, the bad stuff. Service here is sucks. It's clearly systemic with the hotel.
When I checked in, I stood at the counter for a few minutes (maybe 3) before the clerk acknowledged me (she was doing paperwork or something solo). I gave her my credit card and id, she worked on the computer and gave me a room key. She did not ask me if I was familiar with the property (I was not), did not tell me where the elevators were (I found them), did not ask if I needed help with my bags (I didn't), did not thank me for staying with them, did not acknowledge me as a Diamond member (I knew she was aware because of the room key upgrade). I didn't even get a smile when she handed me the key. OK, whatever...maybe she was having a very bad day and was in pain. No problem. The next day I left my room at 7am for meetings...I got caught in the rain at lunch so I went back to my room at 2pm to change for dinner - and housekeeping was JUST cleaning my room - at 2pm!! Argh!
The following morning I had breakfast in the restaurant. Host was very friendly...but it took 6 minutes for the waiter to show up! Yes, I was watching the clock. My coffee was never re-filled by the waiter (fortunately there was a coffee pot by the entrance, so twice I went and refilled my coffee).
Verdict - go for the location, competitive rates and clean rooms. Don't expect typical high-standard Hilton service (I am a loyal Hilton guest, but clearly Doubletree has different standards).

Dear BernardRose,
I appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City. Thank you for you very in depth description of the both the hotel itself and your stay.
It's great that you loved your rooms location and the size of your room-I am sure you enjoyed the view as well.
I wish our service was more dependable during your stay-I think that would have made your stay close to perfect with us. Customer Service is something that we consistently work on here. I will be sure to address the points that you mentioned with the appropriate departments.
My hopes are that if you are ever staying in the Philadelphia area that you will come back and stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City. I would want you to come back just to see what the real service is that we provide to our guests.
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Had a previous positive stay at this venerable downtown property next to the Septa subway, but was quite disappointed and surprised at the run-down condition of this hotel. Service is minimal and not particularly engated, breakfast is forgettable, and the rooms are clean but dated. Had hoped for more as the prices certainly suggest something more special than what I received and saw. It truly seems as if its best days are behind it and will look elsewhere in the future when center city accommodations are called for

Room Tip: Designed at odd angles, so I'm not sure one room is better than the next.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
OfficeoftheGM, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear singabob,
I appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City. I am thankful that after staying with us before you had decided to stay with us again, but I wish you would have things more to your liking. As a large hotel in Center City we are consistently making improvements to our property; in fact the rooms were updated just a few years ago and the dining room on the second floor is jsut over a year old.
I do wish that you would consider a return stay with us when you are back in Philadelphia.
I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.

Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This hotel is really good, Ive had the chance of staying here two years ago and all the staff has been always nice and very helpful. The food quality is also good and the rooms are always clean. Housekeeping staff is extremely nice as well.

Room Tip: all the rooms finishing in 20 are spacious for 1 person.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
OfficeoftheGM, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear patito8796,
Thanks for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City. It's great to read of the wonderful stay you had with us.
We hope to see you again soon at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Doubletree by Hilton is a great hotel in a central location of Philadelphia. I traveled to Philly for business and was pleasantly surprised by the decor and the friendliness of the staff. The room was tastefully decorated and clean, and came with a fantastic view of Broad Street. The first night of my trip I ate at the restaurant in the hotel (The Balcony). Although there were limited options for a vegetarian, the Tomato soup and salad I had were tasty.

Parking ($25/day for self-parking) was convenient as the hotel has a relationship with the garage right next door; however, there were issues with getting in/out because of the outdated system the garage uses. I was told, however, that they are in the process of updating this to work more efficiently.

Room Tip: The higher rooms slightly drown out the police/ambulance/fire sirens that blare throughout the city...
Dear Benzboy06,
I appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City. I am glad that you had such a great stay and were able to enjoy dinner in Balcony. That is our newest restaurant!
The information you received regarding the parking lot next tot he hotel was correct. There is going to be a system upgrade and we should soon be able to accept credit cards upon exit.
My hopes are that if your travels bring you to Philadelphia that you will chose to stay with us again at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 25, 2012

The Doubletree is in an excellent location, across the street from performing arts venues, a quick subway ride to the sports stadiums and a short walk to the 13th Street restaurant row. It is a bit of a hike with baggage from the airport train.

My room was on a corner with a fantastic view up Broad Street. The decor kinda reminds me of 1960's style -- in a good way -- with "blond" furniture. The room was very spacious and comfortable. The bathroom was surprisingly small; the door barely clears the toilet and seems always to be in the way.

The flaw is that the room had a connecting door to the adjacent room which allowed sound to pass between the rooms unimpeded. One night during my stay there were several small children in the adjoining room who were up past midnight and were quite rambunctious -- you could hear them clearly. Finally they went to bed and so did I. At 3:30 AM one of the kids woke up crying and the sound carried into my room plenty loud enough to wake me up!

Room Tip: If there are rooms that don't have connecting doors to an adjacent room, you will avoid the risk...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
OfficeoftheGM, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Frank P,
i appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.
I hope that you were in town to enjoy some of the sites that you had menitoned or perhaps in town for a game! We are located very conveniently located for both! For your next stay I would suggest taking a cab or arraning for transportation from 30th Street Station. We are not too far located from there, but with luggage it would be a bit of a hike.

I am sorry that the guests in the adjoining room for the one night made your stay less pleasant for that night, but I hope the rest of your stay was perfect. You had mentioned the view-due to the design of the room many of our rooms have great views. The view is either up and down Broad Street or into New Jersey.

I hope the next time you do come to Philadelphia I hope to chose to stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.

Fairport, New York
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This was probably the best service we have ever recieved at a hotel. We were greated by our doorman Craig who immediately helped valet park our car and take our bags. We checked in at the front desk and the place was very busy. As soon as we were done checking in, Craig was there to assist us to our rooms. Throughout our stay we saw Craig at the door and he was always asking us if we needed anything and how our stay was going!!

The location of this hotel was perfect in Center City. We were able to walk all the way to the major tourist sites or take the subway. Market St. does get a little sketchy in some parts, but it wasn't anything that was too scary (its about 2 blocks of meh!) The place was probably one of the most cleanest hotels I have ever stayed in. They even have recycling in the rooms!!

We even decided to rest and have some drinks at the "Standing O". You will want to ask for "Big Baby Jerill" He is awesome and his service is outstanding. He lives to make people happy. We even took our picture with him, it was great. If he doesn't have the answer, he goes and finds the answer for you!!

Our last night we ate in the hotel's "Mezzaine" Restaurant (I probably spelled it wrong). Again, great food, great service!!

The only downfall was the price for breakfast. It is not free for complimentary breakfast at the Mezzaine, but it tasted amazing. I just thought that it should be complimentary with the option to buy additional b-fast. Also parking in Philly is really hard to find and is never free. So we did have to pay for parking, but to have a valet take care of it, and to have your car close is ideal in Philly. We never [--] drove around, so the only reason we had a car was because we drove to Philly. I recommend flying into the city, taking a taxi to this hotel and walking/subway your way around the city. It will just end up being cheaper.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple