“Most Horrible Stay Ever!”

Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City
Ranked #34 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Ewing, New Jersey
“Most Horrible Stay Ever!”
Reviewed September 5, 2011

I booked 4 rooms for my guests to my bachelor party, 8-27-11, at the DoubleTree by Hilton in Center City Philadelphia. At 3:30 PM, the first guests arrived and actively pursued to their room by the GM for carrying a cooler. The GM was told the group would be out all night and will return for bed. GM approved. At 2:30-3 AM a noise complaint was lodged and security arrived and warned one room. 5 minutes later security evicted 3 rooms for the complaint of one room into Hurricane Irene and state of emergency. At 5 AM security and police woke up room 4 to evict for association. Police convinced security there was no issue. Asst GM agreed after 30-45 mins for us to stay in lobby to my fiancé after we were already forced to seek shelter elsewhere. Rooms were also charged smoking fees for bogus claims after an expired cigar was found. Cameras out front would prove we had smoked and extinguished outside. Repeated attempts to resolve this with GM proved disrespectful and unsuccessful.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ben W
OfficeoftheGM, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
Dear Ben W,
As I am sure you are aware I have been in contact with your fiancé numerous times over the course of the past few weeks. Unfortunately, we have not been able to agree on any resolution from the events related to your Bachelor Party at our hotel.

By your own account your guests had begun to arrive around 330pm. Carrying a cooler? By my own account, your guests arrived with numerous cases of beer and more than one cooler. As the General Manager it is my responsibility to ensure that all our guests have a relaxing stay. Being proactive, I had approached your guests and was told you were going out for the night and would be returning later. At that time, I did notify everyone of our strict ‘No Party’ policy.

From your own admission, a noise complaint was lodged about rooms that were a part of your reservation around 2:30-3AM. Upon receiving a first noise complaint we issued a warning that if a second complaint is made we will evict the guests. Upon yet another noise complaint, a verbal altercation with a member of your party, disturbing and frightening even more guests, my trained management was left with no other option but to evict the rooms involved.

After some time and discussion with police all members were permitted to seek shelter in our lobby until morning. We could not risk further disturbance to more guests by allowing you to return to the guest room floors.

In an effort of good faith, we have removed the environmental fee that was charged to your room(s). This was reflected on your credit card. If you would require further details on that matter resolved 9/1/11 please feel free to contact my office.

Bill Fitzgerald

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Nicety situated walking distance from Philadelphia center. Spacious, clean and very comfortable. We slept very well. Nice and cozy. Front desk professional and polite

• Stayed September 2011
OfficeoftheGM, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
Dear tjp1994,
I appreciate the time you took to post a review of your recent stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City. Thank you for commenting on your welcome experience. It is something that we are trying to improve and I will take your comments very seriously. Conversely, I will be sure to let our restaurant and room service staff know that both of your experiences were positive ones.

I hope to see you again at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.

short_girl_70
Reviewed September 1, 2011

It is locted and a very good area. There are alot of food places, shopping and sightseeing within walking distance of the hotel. The room I had was right beisde the elevator and it was not noisy at all. I thought it would be but it wasn't. Very nice hotel. The rooms were a good size. You have to pay for internet. I was kind of suprised by that.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Dear short_girl_70,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City. It's nice to know that you were able to get out and experience some of the great restaurants and shopping that is right in our area. Although, you do have to pay for internet in your room it is free in the public areas, such as the lobby.
I hope that if you are ever traveling back to Philadelphia that you choose to stay with us again at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.

New York City, New York
Reviewed August 26, 2011

This was a modern new hotel. But the only problem was that the pool was very small opposed to the photo online. But overall is was a great hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank cardtraveler
OfficeoftheGM, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
Dear cardtraveler,
Thank you for taking the time to post a reivew of yur recent stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City. I am pleased that you had a pleasant stay with us. We have recently taken new photos of the hotel, perhaps we will consider replacing our pool photo-I appreciate your feedback.

Should you ever find yourself in Philadelphia we hope to see you again at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.

Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I stayed at the Doubletree in August for a conference and while the room I finally landed in was okay, I had to look at three different rooms before I found one that was clean enough (they were all stinky) and passable for a 3 day stay. I paid $15 for a chicken salad in the bistro. The chicken was microwaved and so dry I could not eat it. I sent it back and got a second one that was marginally better. I was with a client so I did not want to send it back, but it truly was inedible. DO NOT waste your money on the bistro. The surrounding restaurants are cheaper and much better quality.

Then they overbooked the conference rooms and as a result the conference was a total disaster, being split between three different floors and room changes at the last minute. I have heard that the conference organizers are pursuing legal action, but cannot confirm this right now. There is nothing good I can say about the hotel. It had the smell of stale food when we walked in.

To add insult to injury, I split the cost of the room with a roommate (and I saw her bill, so I know they charged her). I just looked at my bill and they have charged me for the full stay. I have stayed in several Philly hotels before and I can say with certainty I will never stay at the DoubleTree again. I am waiting to hear back from the hotel on this matter and I expect to get it resolved, but this was just the icing on the cake for me after the horrible experience I had.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank sam_e1975
OfficeoftheGM, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
Dear sam_e1975,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to inform me of your dissatisfaction you had experienced during your stay. I hope that the billing issues have been resolved-if they have not please do feel free to reach out to my office and we will look further into this. Although, we do strive for all of our guests to have the most enjoyable time during their stay we do at times have a few misses. I am truly sorry that your stay with us was so unpleasant.

New Jersey
Reviewed August 20, 2011

We stayed here for 1 night in order to attend a family function. The hotel is in a great location in the arts area. There are numerous fine restaurants in walking distance. While this wasn't our purpose this hotel is well located for sightseeing and enjoying the city's culture.

Service was very good but the room was a little tight. I suppose a samll room is to be expected in a city hotel.

Our room included the breakfast buffet which had some cooked foods and the usual array of fresh fruit bread and juices.

The attached parking garage was convenient and reasonably priced for hotel guests. Public transportation is nearby if you don't want to drive around.

• Stayed August 2011
OfficeoftheGM, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, August 22, 2011
Dear RoyU,
Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City. I hope that you had an enjoyable time with your family.

Like you had mentioned we are very centrally located and close to many restaurants, shops and attractions.

Thank you for mentioning our breakfast-we had recently made some changes and it is nice to get some feedback.

I hope that if you are ever returning to Philadelphia that you will consider staying with us again at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.

Los Angeles
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Stayed here one night recently on an awards stay. I am a Hilton Diamond member. The hotel is very centrally located and ok overall; however the front desk staff was less than helpful. I checked in late in the evening and the desk staff had a difficult time finding me an appropriate room for a family of four. The first room was a king that was so tiny it was impossible for a rollaway to fit. The next room they sent us to had a leaky ceiling in the bathroom. You can imagine my frustration at this point. The third room finally was ok but I was upset when the front desk asked a bellman to call me to give me my new room number. The front desk was apologetic and sent a bottle of wine but I dont drink and I am with two young children. The front desk staff did not seem to know how to handle the the entire situation.

However, when I complained to the Asst. General Manager, he quickly apologized and agreed the whole scenario was not handled properly and promptly refunded my HHonors points back to my account and picked up the tab for our room service dinner. This was excellent customer service.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dear mtufeck,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.
I will be sure to address your concerns with our Front Desk Director. This is a scenario that should have been handled much differently. Although, your stay with us had it's highs and lows I am thankful that our Assistant General Manager was able to make some of it right for you.
I hope that if your travels to ever bring you back to Philadelphia you will consider staying with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Phildelphia Center City.