“Great value, perfect location”

Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City
Ranked #35 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed June 11, 2011

We stayed here for 5 days on a trip home from New Zealand (we used to live in Philly). The Doubletree has had some really bad reviews on this site so I have to admit I was dreading it a bit and expecting it to be "a cheap place to sleep". But we experienced nothing but politeness, eagerness to help, and clean rooms.

It's perfect for travelers staying for a few days, tourists, and families. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for a honeymoon or romantic stay.

Here are my two complaints:
- they should eliminate the rooms positioned next to the elevators. You feel like you're IN the elevator shaft. It's a horrible location.
- the climate control is the typical dry, forced air that most hotels have. Would've been nice to open a window, but I don't think the building was designed for that.

Here are our compliments:
- On our first day we had a really good breakfast in the hotel - excellent, friendly service and decent prices. A few nights later we had drinks in the lobby and the bartender was really accommodating of a friend's request for a White Russian (they had to go and get milk).
- Free wifi!
- Our room was clean, quiet, and had good toiletries. The bed was comfortable, the pillows could be a little firmer. Flatscreen TV, modern dresser, nice armchair and ottoman. - The Wolfgang Puck coffee was surprisingly good - it would've been nice if they gave you more than just 3 sachets in case you want a second cup, but that's a teeny gripe!
- I didn't go to the pool but my husband did and said it was okay - nothing amazing but totally fine.
- The hotel is located on Broad St right in the middle of the city. We were walking distance to everything! It's a perfect location and our knowledge of the city confirms this -- we struggled to think of a hotel that has a better location. We walked to South Philly, up to Rittenhouse Square, over to Old City. We went shopping on Walnut St, had drinks at the neighborhood restaurants like El Vez and Vintage, wandered up the Avenue of the Arts to neighboring hotels like The Ritz Carlton and Park Hyatt... It was perfect.
- We left Philly for a few days then returned for one last night and stayed at the same hotel - they put us in one of the dreaded rooms next to the elevator. We called down to the front desk and they switched us IMMEDIATELY and without any hassle. The room they put us in was fabulous - it had a sofa, chair, lots of room for our huge suitcases, and more of that great coffee!

The prices were totally reasonable. If we're ever in Philly again we'll be staying here!

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the elevators!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
OfficeoftheGM, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2011

Dear TamaBlue,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I was happy to learn that you did like us enough during the first part of your stay to return for a second visit during your visit to the states. It's great that you let yourself fidn out how great we really are.

It seems that you (or your husband) were able to experience much of what the hotel has to offer-restaurants, bar and pool. As well as our great location. I'm sure it was great to be back to Philadelphia to visit and see how things are changed since you have moved. It seems like you hit all the good spots! I love El Vez! It really is one of my favorite places in the city.

I'm glad to know that you had found the rooms that you stayed in to your liking. We have just recently upgraded our bath products. That new scent is amazing!

Glad that you had a safe return home and if you do ever find yourself back again I do hope that you chose to stay with us again.

Bill Fitzgerald

Write a ReviewReviews (3,528)

Reviewed June 7, 2011

The staff was VERY helpful and gave us personal attention. Even though we were only there for 1 night, we were very pleased. They gave us a room on the corner with fantastic views of Broad Street. Plenty of room for myself, my husband, our 5 year old & the 1 year old in a port-a-crib. The beds were fabulous. The location is fantastic.

Room Tip: We booked the room through Expedia.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
OfficeoftheGM, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2011

Dear Jessydarby,
Thank for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City. It pleases me to know that your whole family had such a great trip and that you found your room the right size for you all. We do like to pride ourselves on the fact that our staff can go above and beyond and I thank you for appalauding them.

We hope that the next time your travels bring you to Philadelphia that you choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed May 27, 2011

We were a group of 20 for a wedding in town . My anxieties for 10 room reservation were taken care of from the minute i placed my first call to the last check out . My preferences were taken care of patiently even though the hotel was full. My room choices for families to be together to the distant cousin were accommodated. nice staff from the top manager I came in contact with to the bell boy.however the balcony restaurant seems to be over priced and a different management, not very bad though,acceptable if you have no time to go out to the city. THe lobby is open aired but noisy sometimes , good as a lobby not cozy for a serious conversation meeting. the rooms are renovated and spacious. nice pool . close to every thing if you like to walk. you really feel in the heart of the city . Good value specially if you get group rates. nice view of the Broad street if you ask for it. I will definitely return.. THANK YOU ALL for our memorable stay...

Room Tip: ask for higher up and on Broad street
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
OfficeoftheGM, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2011

Dear mia155032,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review of your recent stay with us at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.

I am so glad that your block of rooms was a success and everyone was able to enjoy themselves while in town for the wedding! Organizing a group of people for any event can be stressful and knowing that it was handled professionally and accurately does make all the difference. It seems you were able to take advantage of not only our great location but many of our amenities. That pool is going to get more and more popular with the summer coming!

We look forward to having you back as a guest!

Reviewed May 27, 2011

Great base from which to explore Philadelphia - everything in walking distance. especially close to the gay neighbourhood.

Decent rooms, beds comfortable. Breakfast a bit disappointing - have to pay extra to have hot breakfast with voucher for continental.

Bar area smallish.

• Stayed: May 2011

Dear ryanbruce,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us. I can tell that you took full advantage of our location by getting out and seeing some of what Philadelphia has to offer. Our location is perfect for that.

I was sorry to read that you found breakfast disappointing. We have recently made some upgrades to the service and the offerings. I hope next time you find it more to your liking.

I hope to see you again sometime soon at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.

Reviewed May 19, 2011

I travel to this hotel every 10 weeks for business. This is my 'go to' Phili hotel.

The Good:
-Prompt, delicious room service
-Great location near numerous restaurants and theaters
-Good Amenities/fixtures and furniture
-Beautiful views
-Nice television

The Mediocre:
-Wireless Internet (you may need to pay for it and the quality is so-so)
-There always seems to be a line for check in/check out and there's no designated HHonors line

The Bad:
-Room size is is normal for NYC standards. I'd expect them to be a little more spacious in Phili
-I received poor service at the Standing O restaurant in the lobby.
-As a HHonors diamond member, I usually receive a room upgrade at about 50% of my stays at doubletrees in busier markets, but after staying at this hotel no less than 10 times, I have never received an upgrade. This make me suspect that staff as not as diligent in ensuring HHonors member get room upgrades.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business

Dear RingOrosie,
Thank you for taking the time to post of review of your recent stays here with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City. I have to say I really do appreciate the way you spelled out your review. It was very clear and to the point.

The Good: Thank you for your comment on Room Service-that is something that we have been trying to improve upon and it seems to be working! I will be sure to let those employees know that their hard work is not going unnoticed.

The Mediocre: We have recently changed our wireless service and yes we are still trying to work the kinks out. Hopefully, for your next stay all things will be running more smooth. We do actually have a designated HHonors line along with a specific agent to assist those guests that are HHonors members. Next time at check-in-look for the sign in front of that agent to assist you.

The Bad:The topic of upgrading our most frequest guests is something that is on the forefront of both myself and our Director of Front Desk. We have recently been trying to upgrade as many of our Hhonors guests as possible.

We do hope that you will come back and visit us soon at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.

Reviewed May 3, 2011

At first they put me in a room facing the noisy main street, tho' I'd asked to be in a tranquil section. Even though the place was sold out, a really nice young man named Donnie went out of his way to switch me to another room. The place needs a facelift, and it is a little too pricey, but it was a pleasant stay all in all, and I do recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
OfficeoftheGM, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2011

Dear chrisman48,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City. I will be sure to let Donnie know that he had made the difference in your stay. We do have some future renovation plans in the works and I hope that when you return to stay with us you will get to experience some of those.

We hope that when you do return to Philadelphia that you choose to stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.

Reviewed April 30, 2011

I wanted to say that we had the best time ever when we stayed at the Doubletree Hotel. The location is great! There are so many restaurants to eat at that would fit any budget. I also wanted to take an oppertunity and mention some of the individuals that made our stay unforgettable. There was a Gerald Morris from engineering that went out of his way to fix a minor problem with our room. He stayed there until the minor issue was resolved and would not accept any type of tip we offered to say thank you… all he said was it would make him happy if we enjoy our stay. I was truly humbled by his response to me. We also had the pleasure of being greeted by Osmond’s smile he always had a recommendation of a restaurant or directions on how to get where we were going. Then there was also a Lewis that also ensured we had what ever we needed. Stan from food and beverage was also such a pleasure to deal with. Everyone at this hotel was very kind and helpful during our entire stay. I would truly recommend this hotel to anyone. They truly give you a five star experience.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
OfficeoftheGM, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2011

Dear BermiMom,
Thank you for taking the time to post such a warm response about your recent stay with us at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City. I was delighted to see that you had such a positivte experience with so many of our employees. I will be sure that each of them are recognized for their efforts. It means so much to them when a guest does remember them. It shows that their job is not going unnoticed. I also like to know that they are going out of their way to make guests feel welcome and tending to their needs.

We hope that when you return to Philadelphia that you come back to see us again at the Doubletree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City.