“Needs a refreshed look”

Ranked #40 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
New York City, New York
“Needs a refreshed look”
Reviewed January 24, 2007

Since I am a Marriott Rewards gold member, I try to stay at Marriott hotels when I travel for business. I have stayed at the Philadelphia downtown Marriott many times and I realized in this last stay that I am really tired and disappointed that Marriott has not modernized this hotel over the years. Yes, it is clean, comfortable, has the feather topped bed...but the room still has that "old" Marriott feel of dark old wood armoires, old green club chair, formica counter in the bathroom, etc. I feel as though I am going back in time.......and it gets depressing if you are staying in this type of room for more than one night.

I think I might try the newer Courtyard across the street next time to see if that is better.

• Liked — convenience of being downtown in the heart of Philadelphia
  • Disliked — needs to be updated
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
6 Thank rhkfreespirit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (602)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
ıstanbul
Reviewed January 5, 2007

First off, I always stay in Marriott (I even have a timeshare with them) I stayed there because I had some points to use-up...Big Mistake, I was there one weekend during the Army-Navy game, so I thought this is normal, the next weekend we also came back to give it a second try, I cannot say one positive thing about the Hotel, and trust me I am a sunny-side up person, the place is crazy-busy, -maid-service did not come for two of the days then when they did come, it was at 7pm...yupp, 7pm...there is nothing positive I can say expect the room was okay, the bathroom are out-dated, I would NEVER-EVER, recommended this hotel to any one, unless you did not really Like them. The hotel gave me a headache, and trust me, you go to a hotel to relax-this place is Mison Impossible!
Muzaffer Sicimoglu

• Liked — Location-the Plus of the Hotel
  • Disliked — Insane Craziness
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid-Avoid
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank muzaffer48
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 31, 2006

This is an enormous faciility (close to 2000 rooms) and it couldn't be in a better location. Connected to both the Convention Center and to the Market East Station, and within walking distance of much of what you want to see in Philadelphia. (And right around the corner from ChinaTown, where you can get great food at great prices.) These are standard Marriott rooms and the Marriott standard is high (although the ceilings in a standard Marriott room tend to be fairly low...) Our room was quite large and had 4 great lamps for reading and two large extremely comfortable beds (4 pillows on each bed, and a comforter and a wool throw on each bed)( with extra blankets in the closet just in case...) There was a good sized desk, a handsome console for the television, as well as two comfortable reading chairs and another small table. All the furniture was a nice cherry wood. And the curtains on the windows were thick enough to shut out the light. A very comfortable room. The bathroom was large with plenty of counter space, the hot water was plentiful and the water pressure was good. There were scads of towels. (A shower cap would have been appreciated...) There was a coffee maker in the room, with tea packets provided as well. (There's also a Starbucks in the lobby.) The only problem we had with the room was that because of some acoustical flaw you could easily hear everything that went on in the hallway as if it were taking place in the room! I was woken up several times by the conversations of people walking by, doors being unlocked, etc. We didn't hear a sound from the rooms on either side of us but because we could hear everything the happened in the corridor, I can't say that this was a quiet room. As others have reported, the pool is a joke. It's a lap pool with only one lap! Both times I checked it out, it was packed with happily screaming children. The worst Marriott pool I've ever seen. Do not stay at this Marriott if you ae a serious swimmer! The health club itself was good. There were plenty of tredmills; the one I was on operated smoothly and had a built-in television. . Considering how enormous this hotel is, , everything ran very smoothly. We never had to wait more than a few seconds for an elevator. Although check- in is 4:00, we'd requested an early check in and had no problem getting a room when we arrived at 2:30. We asked if we could check out at 1:00 rather than noon the next day and the response was "of course." Every hotel employee we encountered was pleasant and well-informed. I'd stay at this Marriott again and would recommend it. I've stayed at 7 area hotels or inns over the years and this is my favorite place to stay in Philadelphia.

• Liked — The great location. The large clean room and bathroom. with all the expected amenities and then some.
  • Disliked — The inadequate lap pool and the not-entirely quiet room.
  • Tips/Secrets — Save yourself cab fare to/from the airport by taking the R1 train to/from Market East Station. The station is basically at the Marriott!
  • Stayed December 2006

Nice size room
Lovely building, lobby, restaurant
Quiet
Perfect location

Cons
Sink not in bathroom
No morning room service...starts at 5pm. Weird
Bad tv, no channels, bad reception

• Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
6 Thank KarenDeGennaro
Upstate New York
Reviewed December 29, 2006

We stayed here for a conference--the hotel was completely booked up and they seemed to be overwhelmed, even though you would expect they are used to this, as they are attached to the convention center. The room was fine, but a bit small, and could use some "freshening up" (black marks on the shower curtain, bathroom ceiling starting to peel, room overly warm at night even with the thermostat turned down). They still don't have wireless Internet service at this hotel and you have to pay $9.99 per day for wired broadband (which was "down" for 1 of the 3 days we were here.) The room comes with a very short ethernet cable, so that you have to sit at the desk to use it. A note says that 20 foot cables are available but when I called the front desk to request one, they were all out. The service at this hotel is not very gracious. Both times I called the front desk to request something (the ethernet cable and a pillow--more below), the person said they would either send it up or call back in a specified amount of time, and both times neither of these occurred. When I finally called back after the time had elapsed, they sounded annoyed rather than apologetic and just said they couldn't help me because the hotel was "sold out" and they were out of what I required. The pillow situation was really exasperating. The bed truly was very comfortable, but the pillows were awful. There were two sizes--huge square pillows and little tiny rectangle pillows--and all were very high and firm. Great for watching TV, but for me, impossible for sleeping. I need something flatter and squishier for sleeping. These felt like giant marshmellows that didn't "give" at all, and I slept horribly. When I called the next morning to request a standard sized, normal, flatter pillow, it was a huge hassle. First they said they didn't have any other pillows, then they admitted they were just out of them, then they said they would call me back in 20 minutes and didn't do so. I had to have a long discussion with someone who told me that no one had ever complained about these pillows before, etc., etc., before finally two regular pillows were found and sent up. Why does everything have to be such a hassle? I am not a princess--even at cheap motels I have always been satisfied with the pillows, in the past. Another minor complaint--on our last day the housekeeper forgot to leave any bath towels at all (just hand towels), which we didn't discover until one of us emerged soaking wet from the shower and had to use a hand towel to dry off. I could go on with other minor complaints, but the only other thing I will say is that the pool is TINY, so if you expect to swim laps, don't bother trying. I definitely would not stay here again if I had other options for a future convention.

• Liked — Convenient location, quiet, comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Room on the small side, mediocre service, strangely uncomfortable pillows
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank Ferdinanda
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed December 20, 2006

Recently had to take a last minute one night trip to Philly. I had my choice of hotels since bookings were relatively light the week before Christmas and I picked the Marriott since I earn reward points there and location and tripadvisor reviews were both good.

I really can't believe I was at the same hotel that has all of these positive reviews. Maybe I just got unlucky in the room I was assigned, but here is a short list of my complaints:

1) The room was incredibly dusty, as though it hadn't been used or dusted in several weeks. I left fingerprints in the dust on the alarm clock when I set it and there was a thick film of dust on all of the lamps, coffee maker, etc.
2) Toilet was not flushed when I checked in and there was debris in the sink and hair on the floor. These major EW factors kept me from feeling comfortable and I wore socks whenever I entered the bathroom.
3) Room was right across from the loudest ice machine I have ever encountered. I was woken literally dozens of times throughout the night as new ice was generated and/or people used the machine.
4) Requested a king room, but none were available when I checked in so I settled for a room with two doubles. This ended up being a good thing since the sheets on one of the beds had several holes in them so I slept in the other one.
5) Towels in the bathroom were of poor quality.

On the brighter side:
1) I did find the help at the hotel to be courteous and efficient.
2) I liked the set up of the bathroom with pleny of vanity space for personal items and the ability to get close enough to the mirror to put on make up.

Using my company's corporate rate, I could have stayed at the Ritz for only $15 more which I obviously wished I had done. If you're on more of a budget and/or want to stick with Marriott brand, I'd suggest checking out the nearby Courtyard or Residence Inn. Quality at this Marriott was more on par with a typical Courtyard.

Stayed December 2006
4 Thank overnighttraveller
New Jersey
Reviewed December 14, 2006

stayed here various times with the whole family. The first time i went was for a mother-daughter weekend, then for the race for the cure sponsored by brystol meyers squibb company. Hotel was excellant and first class quality. i'm a fan of starbucks coffee and was happy to see it in the lobby!! very spacious room and lobby. One of the better marriotts i have stayed in the room was moderate size but good enough to fit 4 people. i liked how the hotel was in the center of everything and in walking distance! Theres even an entryway connected to the hotel to a mall(i'm not sure of the name but it's nice to go for a couple of hours) also you must try Maggianos little Italy directly across from the entrance of the hotel it has amazing family-style italian cusiene. overall stay was enjoyeable and the staff was very informative and helpful would defiantly go back.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the beds were a little small
  • Tips/Secrets — stay here!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business