“I expected a better hotel”

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
Ranked #40 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
London, United Kingdom
“I expected a better hotel”
Reviewed April 18, 2010

My partner was here on a conference so I tagged along to visit Philadelphia. According to my partner, the reservation staff was very rude and unhelpful and was very poorly informed about the special conference package/rate. The check-in staff, on the other hand, was very good. She saw that we would be staying for a week and gave us a corner room with a decent view.

The room itself was dated. There was no mini-bar/fridge - even 3* hotels in Europe would have one. The room was enormous but has lots of wasted space. Another arm chair would have been nice. Yes, there was a television, but an old type. I was expecting a hotel of this calibre to have a flat screen tele, not the hulking great thing. All the channels were American. No BBC World Service. So if you want to keep up to date with news in Britain or Europe, you can't ! There is a Japanese channel but the programme is dubbed, and in a rather annoying manner. The bathroom was big enough to have a party in and was generally in a good condition. The shower was VERY nice. The carpet and furniture are showing signs of wear and tear. It was like stepping back into the 90's. May be it can market itself for "a retro experience". The bed, however, was very big comfy. But light sleepers might find the street noise disturbing. We were on the 19th floor and we could hear the buses.

There was a coffee percolator in the room but no kettle, so forget making yourself a cup of tea. That didn't bother me, after all, it's a coffee drinking country. But what got me was the horrible polystyrene cups !! Not only is it wasteful and eco-unfriendly, it is also cheap and nasty! Would you really expect a room costing $175 a night not to provide china cups? Not other hotels I have stayed in, however cheap, failed to provide a proper cups.

I ate there once, breakfast at the restaurant 13. We were greeted rather casually, to say the least. "Are you guys next?" is not the usual greeting I expect at such an establishment. If it were Starbucks, then I would not feel the same way. The waiting staff inside was great. Very friendly and attentive. Perhaps they went to two different training schools.

For such an enormous hotels catered for large conferences and conventions, it is very poorly served with coffee shops. There is one Starbucks in the foyer. Every time I walk past Starbucks, there was a long queue. When the big conference was in full swing, they set up coffee stations in the foyer.Consequently, there were queues everywhere.

There is a fitness centre which is well equipped and well maintained. The pool looked nice but I didn't use it.

The location is it's best point. The area is not as bad as some of the other reviews suggested. It is close to Macy's (hurray!) and the Reading Terminal Market. Forget the buffet breakfast at 13, go and have it there instead. Broad Street isn't far away, either.

If you are coming for a conference and has to stay here, you will have a comfortable enough stay. If you are visiting Philadelphia (a lovely place to visit) on holiday, then there might be other, better hotels. Oh, yes, I forgot. If you stay here, be prepared to meet the crowds of conference delegates. The foyer gets VERY crowded.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (602)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Japan
Reviewed March 28, 2010

We had a bad experience at this hotel. The access to internet is so confusing and deceptive. I connected internet at 9:00 am with payment of about $13 for one day and, after leaving there for a while, I tried to reconnect at 1:00 pm. on the same day, but found it disconnected. I called the front desk and they said the service is available from noon to noon on the next day. There is no clear description on this service, though a small inconspicuous description might be somewhere. This was a terrible experience all the more because we stayed at The Westin Bonaventure at LA last week and they offer the internet with the same price by which you can use it for 24 hours from any time you start. The Marriott also charges a bottle of water on a table in a room with no explanation. We must say this hotel was the worst among ones we have stayed at.

Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 14, 2010

Wifey is very particular about her rooms. From looking at the traveler's photos, I felt pretty good, but the carpets looked old and very work (kinda dirty in appearance). We had to stay for a conference though, so it was going to happen.

CHECK_IN: The train from the airport went directly to the convention center. From there we took an elevator up to the convention center and then followed the many signs across the bridge to the hotel without ever setting foot outdoors. We were checked in at the VIP station very promptly and got our room.

ROOM: It was very clean, comfy. The carpet was ugly and dated, but very clean nonetheless. The TV was very small and cheap for such an expensive place, they def need to upgrade. the beds were great, nice bedding, very comfortable and clean again.

AMENITIES: We didn't use the pool area at all, but I did use the fitness center. It was pretty small, but adequate. They had about 8-9 treadmills, some ellipticals, some nautilus equipment, and some dumbells with benches. Not bad, I got a good workout in anyway.

LOCATION: right in the middle of everything downtown and a short walk to shopping, restaurants, nightlife, etc. Also, connected by tunnels and bridges to the convention center, many shops and restaurants, the reading terminal market, etc., for your convenience so that you don't have to set foot outside. Also, the Fedex and starbuck's in the lobby were a great convenience!

CONFERENCE ROOMS: the conference rooms were pretty standard for a nice hotel. They were nice, well-equipped, and decent sized.

VALUE: very pricey in my opinion. We paid $200/nt for the conference but I'm sure it is usually more. For what you are getting, you should be paying $100-130 tops in my opinion. I would trade the convention center convenience to cut the price in half any day of the week!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Hollywood
Reviewed February 25, 2010

I have never seen a hotel like this. It was amazing! It is connected to the Convention Center and the city. Parts of the hotel was under construction but for the 10 days our convention was there we were not so much in the way. A lot seems to be always going on. As we arrived to check-in I watched our future President leave from a speaking function there. Our international convention had some big names of our own. The rooms were amazing and the food was wonderful and the staff very professional. I am sure the thousands of us that were there had one of the the most best hotel service in our lives. The rooms a clean and roomy. You are surrounded by famous places and landmarks. You will not run out of things to do. I would recommend this hotel again.

Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
Delaware
Reviewed February 24, 2010

I selected this hotel primarily because (1) it adjoins the Philadelphia Convention Center where I was taking the Bar Exam and (2) it had the amenities that I required. I reserved a business package including breakfast and internet. Now that the trip is over, I can hardly explain with words how impressed I am with this hotel. The facilities were impeccable but what has truly inspired to me to sit down and immediately write this review was the customer service. What a rare commodity good customer service has become in this day and age. I have stayed at some of the finest establishments in the both the U.S. and the world and this hotel held its own. The staff genuinely made me feel not only welcome but well looked after.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
PA
Reviewed February 19, 2010

Stayed here just to get away for the weekend. It is in a great location, but it was cold and snowing so we didn't venture out much! The hotel lacked charm...it was clean enough- a mini fridge would have been nice. It was fine nothing spectatular! The older bartender was great!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Cumbrian
Reviewed February 16, 2010

We stayed here to break up our journey to New Orleans in October 2009.
The hotel is very well located with easy access to most of the attractions. The rooms are very comfortable and the staff are some of the friendliest and most helpful we've experienced in USA.
Would definatley stay here again and would recommend without a hesitation!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple