Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
  • Bar/Lounge
Sleep Inn Center City(Philadelphia)
  • Room Service
3,458 results
All reviewsconvention centeracross the streetthe reading terminal marketheadhouse towergreat locationthe concierge loungecity halllarge hotelhard rock cafevalet parkingmarket streetwithin walking distanceattending a conferenceliberty belllobby barper dayflower show
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 2, 2009

I stayed 3 nights for a conference in September. Like the reviewer before me, for being a business hotel the internet was a pain. I finally gave up and used the free internet at the convention center. Other minor complaints involved long waits for the elevators (ALL the time) and very slow airline check-in kiosks (there were 2 but most people just gave up). On a more positive note, the room was comfortable, I slept better then I sleep at home. I had a standard, nice corner room with a semi-view of the city center. The bellhops were obviously used to large conferences all checking out, storing luggage, and then needing cabs to the airport…all that went surprisingly smooth. If you have a conference at the convention center this is the place. Being connected to the center was a HUGE plus. Personally, that is the biggest thing this hotel has to offer. I wouldn’t go back if it wasn’t for a convention as well as my company footing the bill ($237+/night).

Reviewed October 1, 2009

For business travelers, and even most leisure travelers, reliable, trouble-free laptop internet access is a must. Yet this Marriott has still not figured out how to provide that reliable, trouble-free internet connection.

Here is my experience: Got to hotel room, had two hours to go before business meeting, and needed to use every minute to catch up on email correspondence. Plug computer into RJ45 jack on the wired internet access box in room, start computer, wait for boot-up. No access. Lights are blinking just fine. Computer shows an IP address. OK. Turn off computer. Try again. Same result. Punch the “at your service” or whatever Marriott calls it on their phone, speak with person who tells me “a technician will be right up”. Wait 20 minutes. Call “at your service line again” and speak to a different person. Different person says that “internet must be activated at front desk” and that is probably why it is not working. She says she will get it “activated”. Try again, no internet. Call “at your service line” a 3rd time and at the same time get a knock on door. Technician arrives. Technician says this happens all the time. Asks me to try another cable (duh-cable is not the problem as my computer says I have the internal hotel IP address which I would not have if it was the cable). But I comply and try another cable. Does not work any better with the other cable. Then try once more with turning off computer and turning back on. Finally, a series of screens saying I am connected, and then a series of questions on screens! Technician says to ignore those screens. Internet is on! Guess the hotel finally got around to activating internet for my room, for the $12.95/day. Just wasted 45 minutes out of my two hours.

So why is it when I visit a Holiday Inn, or other low-price budget hotel that offers free internet to its guests, I rarely encounter a problem with internet access. But more times than not when staying at a hotel that is supposed to offer more service, I not only get dinged anywhere from $10 to $16 per day for internet access, but also have problems with the internet connection, either getting it going in the beginning, or keeping it connected. My guess is the hotel’s insistence in charging for it puts a series of complications into the scheme making it trouble-prone and unreliable.

When are hotels, like this Marriott, going to understand that internet access is pretty much now the same as having a bathroom to use in the room. It is expected. Just as no hotel would think of putting a coin-lock on the bathroom door and asking the guest to insert money every time the guest wanted to use the bathroom with the possibility that coins might jam, the internet access should be as reliable and trouble-free as using the room’s bathroom.

At this Marriott, as with other hotels with charging schemes, I was required to log into their charging screens on a daily basis or the internet would not work. Also, I would be working in the middle of the day and all of a sudden my internet connection would drop. I would have to log in again, agreeing to pay them the $12.95/day.

When I got my bill, I was charged for internet access twice each day. The second charge was removed without question, but I guess two people finally got around to “activating” the wired internet connection for my room.

Most laughable, the wired internet box in the room had some pronouncement on it like “instant internet access”. I guess that should have been my warning.

3  Thank John073
Reviewed September 30, 2009

The minute I arrived at the Marriott, I thought it was a very nice hotel. At check in I asked the Rep for a window with a scenery and was advised that all the windows look at buildings. Upon reaching my room on the 12th floor with laptop, luggage, etc. in tow. I noticed I was given a King size bed (I asked for a double bed room & made the reservations for this) and my view was looking at the roof of a building in the midst of being repaired. I called the front desk and advised them of my situation and was asked to come back down to the 1st floor to change rooms. I then advised them to send someone up with a new room key and was told someone would be up soon. Finally someone came up and put me in a decent double bed room. The rooms themselves are pretty nice but need some repair. In my room I noticed the Fire Alarm was hanging on by a wire from the wall and would have fell if not for the lone wires. The ceiling in the bathroom was in need of some touch up and the furniture/chairs just look old. I noticed no refrigerators came with the room, so I later went to the frontdesk and requested the refrigerator. This Marriott has a Starbucks, Kinko's & Restaurant 13 attached to it's lobby. This hotel DOES NOT have a Business Center. You can opt to pay the $13 fee charged by the hotel for internet or go to Kinko's and pay their computer usage fee. I do not know if you need to have a wireless card to access internet in Starbucks (which closes around 10 pm). The Restaurant 13 is nice with a bar but the tables are pretty dimly lit.

The hotel is located right next to the Reading Terminal Market which hosts a variety of places to eat and fresh fruit stands. Your across the street from a 7-11, Maggiano's (Italian) and Hard Rock Cafe. If you want to venture to the well know Philly Cheesesteak spot called "Pat's King of Steaks" or "Geno's", it's about a $10 fare.

Upon leaving the hotel, it was very crowded for a convention and the cabs could not come up to the door due to the valet cars taking up space. I asked the hotel clerk outside and was advised it would be better to walk to the sidewalk and try to get a taxi. "What kind of service is the hotel providing, if the customers have to go hail their own cab??" I walked to the side walk and inquired about a cab and was met with a lot of feedback due to me wanting to use a Charge Card. A kind gentleman walked by and seen my predicament. This man offered me a token to go catch the rail service at the next corner to get to the train station. I preceeded to walk to the last cab driver in line and requested his assistance to which he kindly took me to the train station.

The hotel provides parking but there is a charge.

Cab Drivers: They do not care to come up to the front door to pick you up if they don't see luggage because they assume you are not going far and it will be less than a $10/$20 ride. They prefer CASH!!! I actually had some cab drivers provide smart comments about me using a Charge Card due to the fact they don't receive the money and may have to pay a $1/$2 fee to get the funds. I had Cab drivers who would drive right past the building I was going to and want to take me around the block just to drop me off on the other side of the street and build up their fare versus letting me out or making a U-Turn.

Reviewed September 20, 2009

Beautiful hotel. Great restaurants and subway near by. Parking expensive and slow to get you your car, but convenient. We had two rooms, one with doubles the other with a King and at check in requested a roll a way bed. We were told no problem. After checking in at 4:30 pm we went to dinner. At 7pm after dinner no bed yet. We had a meeting and thought we would give them a bit more time. Arriving back to our room at 10:45 pm tired and ready for bed, suprise, no roll a way. WE called the desk and were told it would be an hour. Bottom line, they were slow and rude and it was a few minutes before midnight before they had us settled. I was not real impressed with the costumer support. The beds were very comfortable. Just beware of the staff.

1  Thank dsringer
Reviewed September 14, 2009

We stayed at this hotel on the last night of our week-long trip before flying back home. I won it on Priceline for $58.00. We had a rental car and opted for Marriott's valet parking so we would have in/out privileges. (With tax it came to $43.20) This hotel appears mammoth upon entry and is definitely a convention hotel. We stood in line, got a cordial greeting and luckily early check-in as requested. We were assigned a corner King bed room- the furthest room from the elevator- on the 10th floor. It overlooked part of Reading Terminal Market.

The good: Marriott's soft beds/pillows, Bath & Body Works Aromatherapy shampoo/conditioner/lotion, large corner bathroom with great lighting, mirrored closet doors, hairdryer, iron/board, coffee/maker, a lot of electrical outlets and of course...location of hotel.

The bad: Small cramped room with one chair and a desk/chair, needed dusting, smudges on tabletops, trash in one of the nightstands, grimy bathroom faucet and stray hairs in tub and floor, no ventilation in bathroom (stayed foggy for 20 minutes after showers).

There were a lot of people coming and going from many different entrances but there was no security for room access (such as using your room key to access elevators to guestrooms like The Courtyard next door has).

My Priceline rate was good, but I would definitely not pay rack rate for this hotel. From the appearance and location, I believe we were assigned a "Priceline room".

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple