“Our saving grace...”

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
Ranked #41 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed August 9, 2009

Stayed for one night after the hotel we originally had reservations at was too noisy. The bed was super comfortable. Room stayed dark so you didn't get woken up by the sun. Bed was super comfortable. You don't have to park at the Marriott since valet parking was expensive and there were always crowds of people waiting for their cars. There is an independent parking lot right across the street and it was cheaper. Location was great--the train was nearby and the Reading Terminal Market was right across the street, where you can wander around and eat til your heart's content. Starbucks was in the lobby but there is a diner at the market where you can have a really good breakfast.

3  Thank allegraversace

Reviewed August 9, 2009

The valet service was very good. Self parking was $47/night. Quiet - didn't hear sirens during the night like other hotels.

1  Thank a_good_night_sleep
Reviewed August 3, 2009

Pros:
--Beautiful building, trendy lobby
--In room, everything good condition, working order, and nicely decorated
--Great bed and bedding - super comfortable foam
--Great location - right next to trolley stop
--Price good for quality of room and location
--Prompt, accurate, friendly morning room service - but only for those who hang out the card the night before.
--Valets very professional, they get keys from anyone parking in the drive, so no one is blocked in.

Con 1 - Pay extra for everything
$42 per night valet parking ($35 per night plus $7 tax! - not including tip!)
$13 per day internet
$45 in salon for men's military trim haircut

Cons 2 - Service
In general, the hotel doesn't seem prepared to operate anywhere near its capacity. They don't seem to have the staff, infrastructure, organizational skills, or desire to support the number of people who fit in their rooms. There were still vacancies when we arrived, but the hotel seemed overwhelmed already. Here are some illustrative examples:
--There was ALWAYS a long line at front desk, no matter the time of day.
--We had to ride the elevator up in order to get one to take us down.
--The gift shop refused to break a $20 without a sale.
--We were locked out of our room when they checked us out one day early.
--Housekeeping was stingy with towels. Each room gets exactly 2 large towels, 2 hand towels, 2 washcloths, and 1 math mat. We asked a maid in the hall for extra full size towels and got another copy of the same exact set, and she noted what room we were in. Then after we left the room, maid service came in and removed all towels in excess of the original standard set!
--Room service doesn't answer phone.
--On check out day, there was no bill under our door. We checked TV and saw that the bill was incorrect. We were overcharged an extra day of internet, and room service had not yet posted two hours later.
--Front desk doesn't answer phone. Express checkout no answer. Dial 0 no answer.
--We had to checkout at the front desk even though they supposedly have express checkout.

Overall, if you want a nice place to stay at a good price, and are willing to "fend for yourselves" rather than expecting service during your stay, this is a good pick.

1  Thank PrincessBrooke
Reviewed July 31, 2009

For business, location is amazing -- connected by pedestrian bridge to Convention Center, which in turn has a station of the train to the airport in its basement. Easy walking distance to important attractions and eating establishments. Facilities and services are about what you expect of a mainline-brand Marriott. (For a change my room WAS available upon arriving and the front desk was not swamped.) BUT, come on with the little annoyances: inconsistent newspaper delivery; room service hours too limited; and oh, please, a $229/night room at a "business"/convention hotel and NO free internet access in-room? (and IIRC if you use it even once you're charged for every day of the stay). That just feels cheap. Right across the street at the convention center itself or Reading Market you have free access so why would anyone pay?

1  Thank JRDelirious
Reviewed July 30, 2009

I visited Philadelphia for a class I had to take for my business. About 4-6 weeks in advance, I made my reservations at this hotel. The pictures looked great and it seemed to be a very central location. I was planning on driving until I learned they only have valet parking with would have totaled $43.20/day. I asked if there was any off-street parking or parking garages in the area and was told there weren't. Upon arrival, I learned otherwise and saw there was a parking garage directly across the street from the hotel entrance for a much more affordable cost! At the front desk, I wasn't greeted courteously at all. The front desk personnel was extremely unprofessional and condescending. I was originally scheduled to stay in the hotel Sunday night thru Saturday morning and they performed an 'Authorized Hold' on a total of $1008.50 on my credit card. Since I'm a government employee, I reserved the room at the government rate, which would have made my total bill much less than the above mentioned amount. Previously to departing for this trip, I also called and requested a refrigerator be placed in my room...this was not followed thru with by the hotel and I had to, again speak to the front desk. After questioning them, they did have one delivered to my room.

Monday was completely uneventful with the hotel, but Tuesday everything fell apart. After my class, I returned to my room and found the cleaning personnel had left no towels, no wash cloths, no hand towels, no bath mat, no soap, and no shampoo. They also hadn't cleaned the floors. 30 minutes after the first call to the front desk and 3 calls later, the above mentioned toiletries were finally delivered to the room. I could have walked down to the front desk and retrieved the items myself! About an hour later, I heard a noise at the door. At first, I thought it was someone trying to get into the room next door and I finally realized someone was opening my door! If the safety lock hadn't been latched, the inividual would have entered my room! Once I realized the person was trying to get into my room, I went to the door and looked out the peep-hole and overheard the individual speaking on the courtesy phone to the front desk. He said he had just checked in and was having difficulty getting the door to his room to open. I then received a phone call from the front desk asking me if I had locked someone out of my room. I told them no and that I'd been occupying this room since Sunday. Then, a security guard showed up at my room and wanted to know if it was, in fact, my room! I couldn't believe it. When they assign rooms, they can see if a room is already occupied...the front desk was extremely inefficient since they assigned my room to another person and issued them a key to my room. At that point, I decided my safety and security had been compromised and I immediately made reservations for the next night at a neighboring hotel. The front desk did remove one night's stay from my bill.

Now, for the bill...earlier I mentioned they'd placed an authorized hold on my credit card (which is directly linked to my checking account) for $1008.50. My total bill for 3 night's stay was $357.12. The hold on my account still as not been lifted. As a result, their hold on my accont has caused me to go almost $500 in the hole. They also ended up placing another hold on my account for $176.50. This totals 3X the amount of my actual bill! I though when I checked out, my card would be billed for the actual amount of my bill...wrong. Because of this hold and it's seemingly never ending expiration date, I've been unable to access any $$ yet. This has left me with $30 cash, which I happened to have in my wallet. I made countless phone calls to multiple Marriott entities trying to get the holds released so I could access my account.

Only after contacting the Marriott's Consumer Affairs office was I able to get anyone actually trying to help me with this issue. I'm currently still in Philadelphia and wanted to post my review while all of this is still fresh in my memory! There were a couple of people from Marriott who did seem genuinely compassionate to my situation and seemed to want to assist me in getting this situation resolved. With that being said, I'm sitting in another hotel wondering how I'm going to eat for the next 2 days and get home on only $30 since it doesn't look like the holds will be released before my flight Saturday afternoon.

I would most definitely not recommend this hotel to anyone. The Hilton Garden Inn has been absolutely wonderful! I was greeted warmly and they have been nothing but accomodating. Unlike the Marriott, the Hilton has complimentary high-speed internet use in their room and you can use the phones in your rooms free of charge. Each room also has a microwave and refrigerator and the parking garage is much more affordable than the parking at the Marriott. I've not encountered any unpleasant Hilton employees and I don't foresee that happening before I'm scheduled to leave on Saturday.

2  Thank TitansGirl75
Reviewed July 21, 2009

Came for a conference; otherwise would try not to stay at a large chain. My room was clean-- except my tub floor always felt a little gritty under the foot...
I had no complaints.... but this is not my type of hotel for leisure travel.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 19, 2009

Platinum Marriott member, so it pains me to dislike a property as much as I dislike this one. Have stayed here twice now, a year apart, and am sad to say bad has gotten worse.

Hotel is not in the nicest area of downtown Philly, but is within easy walking distance of better spots. That's about the nicest thing I can say. I shall only raise issues in this review that I experienced on both trips, as I think it reflects consistent problems:

1. Expect reception and At Your Service staff to be average if you're lucky, and surly if it's a day that ends in "Y". These people all come across like they're hangin' out on a corner with their homeys, being annoyed by people who actually want to cross the street. Posture says "Sigh, I have to work now" every time you approach, and they even speak like they're casually chatting to their mates, not serving a paying customer. I like a bit of informality to make me feel welcome, but that's not what this was - it was vehement nonchalance and I was clearly seen as an annoyance.

2. Expect a badly maintained room. On this stay I was in a suite, last stay a normal room. In both cases at least one of the phones in my room didn't work. In this case, two of three didn't work. The bathrooms are old and not ventilated, and the toilets are very difficult to flush, often not fully flushing without several attempts. Housekeeping was as slack as the rest of the service, with most of my things on the bathroom counter being moved all around for cleaning then left in disarray. Once my bed was not even made properly - they just left the covers where I'd pulled them up myself. The room smelled stale no matter what I did.

3. The concierge lounge should be nominated for nuclear testing. Looks nice - it ends there. Staff were even worse than at the front desk. Stayed out the back talking to one another (loudly) and didn't keep an eye on stocks at all. There was almost never any bottled water out (and when there was, it was one or two bottles). The food is the WORST I've ever seen - runny eggs and a few stale pastries and unripe melon for breakfast, and some kind of deep fried philly cheesesteak nibbles at hors doeuvres, with seven bits of broccoli and a few other scant crudites on a plate with some kind of runny dip. No cutlery out, and the broccoli cut so large you couldn't have eaten it without looking like feeding time at the zoo. I was so disgusted, I tried for three mornings/nights (out of seven I stayed) and gave up.

4. The restaurant - 13 - is decent and whilst the greeting staff are usually pretty bad, the serving staff are terrific. Happy to make menu adjustments and attentive enough. They, and the concierges, were the only decent staff.

It goes on and on but you get the drift. Beds are fine - they're up to speed with the recent Marriott upgrades, and the towels appear reasonably new. Other than that, it's tired, old and not good enough.

I have raised these and other issues with the management of the hotel and am awaiting a response. But frankly I don't expect anything to change. This hotel is run down and needs a major overhaul - I don't see it happening in this economic situation and in fact not at all since it always seems to be busy due to its proximity to the convention centre. I won't stay there again.

3  Thank antipodienne