“Very comfortable stay!”

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
Ranked #41 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed April 21, 2009

I had a great 2-night stay. My room was on the top floor and was average size; the bathroom was larger than average. Everything was immaculate. I especially liked the climate control in the room - both temperature and three-setting fan. The bed was the best part -- pillowtop mattress cover, nice feather comforter, and six big fluffy pillows. It was hard to get up in the morning! The room was quiet. I didn't bring a laptop, so I can't comment on internet access. The location is a little far from a lot of the tourist sites, but it's right on the subway. Since the hotel is right on busy Market Street, it felt safe to walk back to the hotel at night.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo

Reviewed April 21, 2009

Rooms were more than adequate. The wireless service was not free, but not expensive, but was VERY FAST. I would rather pay for the fast speed than get poor slow wireless for free. Rooms were good, bathrooms large, everything fine in the room.
I would recommend for business travelers. Did not check out the pool or any of the other things avail at the hotel tho.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 21, 2009

We stayed here for just one night recently after a Phillies game. The Hotel was quite large, and featured a significant amount of amenities (including two boarding pass printing kiosks). The price we paid was much less than their average rate, and for a downtown hotel, I thought the rate was very reasonable. The location is the best feature about the hotel, central to rail, subway, restaurants, the convention center, Reading Terminal, and an easy cab ride almost anywhere. The room was nothing superb, but comfortable with clean and soft beds. The downstairs had several spots to eat and drink, and indeed the bar was bumping until well after 2A. Even though I am from the city, I thought some of the charges were a bit excessive including the $41 overnight parking fee and $13.25 Jamison on the rocks. We parked across the street overnight in a garage that we have used several times before for half that price. Good luck getting in the hotel as well, the actual valet is on the rear of the building and we sat in traffic backed up from people pulling into the full hotel lot for well over 20 minutes just to drive half of a block. Not too bad, a good place to stay for a convention or tourist looking to explore our city.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2009

We stayed at this hotel to attend a convention next door in a concierge level room and I was not at all impressed. The room was quite average. The bathtub drain was rusty. The bath floor mat looked like it had been used several times and not washed!! Yuck!!!! I immediately shoved it away with my shoes. The pillows were the cheap flat kinds, definitely not like other Marriott hotels with their extra fluffy bedding. The concierge lounge although open all day, only had coffee and water served all day, no snacks or fruit like other Marriott hotels. Breakfast was served until 9:00am which was inconvenient because they would run out by 8:30am and the convention guests would end up getting a stale danish and some coffee. All the fruit, eggs, bagels were gone or removed. Overall, just not an impressive hotel considering the cost of the rooms. We couldn't get a good rate because the hotel was almost sold out and we had to stay at that particular hotel. If I ever go back to Philadelphia, I will not waste my money at this hotel.

Reviewed April 19, 2009

Booked this through Priceline for $70 a night. If I'd paid full price I'd have been pretty irate. We asked for a room with a fridge, and when we got to the room, no fridge. Went to the Reading Market, and when we returned the fridge was dumped in the middle of the floor. Fine. Next day returned to the hotel at 5:30 pm and found the room still unmade. Okay. Housekeeping came while we were trying to get ready for dinner. So they wiped out the tub and sink, straightened the covers and left. Turndown came 15 minutes later. Who knew? As we didn't see turndown the first night, or the third. Second and third day, no newspaper. Concierge was non existent. Internet service is $13 a day, and that's ethernet only. I ended up using the Loew's wireless network. For $70 I've got no complaints, if you're paying more and expect a topnotch hotel, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed April 10, 2009

The offerings are basically what one expects from the Marriott chain. Surprisingly, the broadband provision is very dated for a business hotel. The modem that was provided had a missing cable, and the customer service desk had consistently denied that the cable was missing and sent a technician to take a look only 1.5 hours later. By the time the service was available at 11.30 pm, I did not have much time to work online. What was more appalling was that the operations manager that I was referred to became frustrated and raised his voices at the situation.
Overall, it has been a highly negative experience, and I urged the hotel to improve on its broadband access and its customer service.

Reviewed March 30, 2009

I truly enjoyed my stay. The room was clean. The smell was fresh. And the staff was all professional from the moment the cab dropped me off at the front door.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)