“Good Business Hotel”

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
Ranked #41 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed May 23, 2014

Stayed during a work conference. The hotel is in a good location central to most things. It is a large busy hotel but their service is always very good.
Rooms are as you would expect, good size clean with plenty of facilities. Staff are excellent and very helpful. Check in fast and efficient, bar staff great and restaurant staff too. - I had nothing to complain about in my week stay, this was my second time here and it was the same both times. Very Good.

Reviewed May 22, 2014

The hotel is located right in the heart of the city and very close to the subway lines. It is an elegant hotel.

Stayed here during a recent business trip and enjoyed it very much. The room was very nice and the staff was friendly. I had one minor issue during my stay but the staff was very helpful in correcting the problem and did a great job on the service recovery.

The good:

Great location (Close to Reading Market, Subways Market Street)
Elegant large lobby
Large well appointed rooms
Good Wifi
Nice Televisions

Opportunities for improvement

None really to speak of, although the woman who assisted me at check out was somewhat difficult and would speak before I could complete my sentences and often respond without listening to what I was saying. It ended well but it was more tense than it should have been.

Reviewed May 22, 2014

This is a very large hotel, situated near Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia. The rooms are large and in good condition. There is an in-room safe. The gym is sizeable, well-equipped and quite busy, one of the busiest and best hotel gyms I’ve seen. The pool is a T-shape and a good length (probably about 15m) for a hotel pool. There is a Starbucks in the hotel lobby. WiFi is available at an extra charge.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 20, 2014

This is very nice property conveniently located in downtown Philly. Part of the hotel is located in the former Head House of the Reading Railroad. While my room wasn't located in the Head House, it was large, nicely appointed, clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The Concierge Room is large with extremely attentive staff. I loved the fact it is located right off the 13th Avenue station, so you can take the train directly from the airport right to the hotel for a mere $8. Easy peasy! I will definitely stay at this property the next time I am in Philly.

1  Thank vanclaners
Reviewed May 19, 2014

The Marriott is located within walking distance to historic sites. The hotel is a typical Marriott in terms of relatively spacious rooms and comfortable beds. The air conditioning was wonderful -- it kept the room at the chosen temperature and we never heard or felt a blower. Check in was easy and very pleasant. For the money, this was a good choice for a girls' weekend in Philadelphia.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor for a view of the city.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 18, 2014

This hotel has an amazing location in the very heart of Center City and was right across from the Reading Terminal Market. On arrival, I was greeted by super-friendly doormen and the check-in staff were lively and gracious. I should note that I was staying at the hotel as part of a larger conference, and a couple of people in my group did not receive the conference materials at check-in as they were supposed to, but I did not experience this particular difficulty.

The lobby has a very open floor plan with an elevated central bar, which was lovely and a great place to hang out between events. There were two banks of elevators, which was a little confusing, but the difference merely resulted in a longer walk once you reached your floor if you choose the wrong set, so not a big deal.

The rooms were generally nice, but included the bare minimum and appeared intended for business travel, rather than leisure. There was no refrigerator or mini-bar in the rooms. There were no robes in the rooms either. What was in the room could use some updating and improvement also. The closet space left much to be desired as in my room the closet was primarily taken up by a central HVAC pillar that left only a little bit of usable space to hang up my coat and suits. Only one of the two phones in my room worked – and in my colleague's room, neither of her phones had a speaker function, which made joining a conference call from her room extremely awkward. The safe in my room also did not work. I tried to call Guest Services on three separate occasions and no one ever answered. Eventually, I just gave up. I liked that the bedside lamp had power outlets built into the base, but the outlets in the lamp do not charge unless the lamp is on, which I didn't realize until the morning when I discovered that my phone was completely charged down. I ended moving one of the other bedside tables aside and unplugging the lamp to reach the other power outlet in the wall. There was a spacious bathroom, although the tub was a bit small. The shower head was large, but the water pressure was poor.

In re-reading this review, I appear to have a lot of complaints, but these are just nit-picks of an otherwise fine hotel. My overall impression of the hotel was positive, and I enjoyed my stay. The time I spent in the room was minimal, mostly just to sleep and the bed was comfortable and came with lots of pillows.

1  Thank khp_infairfax
Randy A, Manager at Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your stay, the hotel’s great location and the friendliness of our staff. I would like to apologize for the room defects you had to endure. Your feedback is vital in our continued effort to improve our guests’ overall experience. I would like to follow-up on these issues so that they can be corrected moving forward. So if you like, could you please forward your name, room number and dates of stay to randy.arpea@marriott.com. We appreciate your business and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

We stay regularly at Marriott branded properties and were very disappointed in this hotel. When we booked, we were guaranteed 2 connecting rooms for our family of 4 (including 2 young children). We also informed the hotel we would be arriving at 8:00 pm. When we arrived, the valet informed us he could not park the car and directed my husband to self park across the street in another garage. So he went to park and I approached the front desk, looking slightly bedraggled after a long day with both children. I received a cool welcome - no smile, no eye contact, and we were made to wait. (Guess I should have worn a badge that said platinum member?) We were then informed that there were no connecting rooms and that the suite my husband had reserved was not ready - and would not be ready until 9:15pm. That was not an option, as the kids were very sleepy, so we took one room. The manager promised to send up a roll away bed immediately. I also called for it when we got to the room. After a 20 minute wait, I called again. That prompted housekeeping to arrive with sheets for the sofa bed, but we had to wait longer for the rollaway. It was clear we were not a priority. And the final straw: The king size bed in the room was the hardest and most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept in at a Marriott- period. Can't wait to leave this place.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Kleo64
Randy A, Manager at Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your recent experience, I appreciate the opportunity to benefit from your feedback. I would like to apologize for the multiple service failures you experience upon arrival and for not fully recognizing you as a Platinum Elite member. It is our goal to make all our guests feel welcome. We will be utilizing your feedback in our quest to improve the service we offer. Thank you again for your time and consideration, we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown.