“Clean, central location and comfortable.” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
Ranked #41 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Clean, central location and comfortable.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

This hotel is a great central location and was very clean. We stayed in a room with 2 double beds - it was large and spacious as well as immaculate. The beds were very comfortable and there was no noise disturbances from neighbours/outside.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Soph-W-123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
claremont, california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

My first time in Philadelphia, and the hotel staff couldn't have been more helpful! The room was clean and comfortable, which I expected from a Marriott, but I have to say that the concierge desk had the MOST helpful staff I have encountered in any other hotel. The restaurant meals were not very good, so I suggest you go elsewhere for meals. The hotel is well located in Central City, and easy access to local landmarks and wonderful restaurants. Be sure to cross the street to the Reading Terminal… wonderful markets and restaurants.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank trekkrsal
Potomac, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

We just returned from a 2 day stay. We're rewards members and loyal customers so we always stay at the Marriott brand if it's at our destination. Our experiences have always been good to excellent. BUT, this was a horrible experience. Also, we're from the DC area, where many of our friends work for corporate Marriott. I plan to tell all of them of my experience at this terribly managed and run property. I found the facilities to be older but well maintained. However, the main problem is in the horrible service. Many employees were really nice but just never properly trained. But, some were hopelessly uncaring and rude and should be released. Many common and simple situations can be handled with scripted responses, but so many employees failed miserably at handling these situations. Tougher situations should be deferred to a empathetic manager, but the employees just blow it off and give the impression that they didn't give a damn (I'm not sure if the managers were empathetic or customer service oriented, this hotel would have better service). The front desk is a huge cesspool of rude behavior and bad service. Of my half dozen contacts, they almost never made eye contact, rarely gave a genuine smile, were half hearted in their service, and always acted like I was bothering them. On my arrival date, I called to ask the front desk to save me a double bed room as I was running late and would arrive around midnight. There are 5 in my family and a king room would be a problem. The man who answered said he would honor my request. When I arrived, all double bed rooms were gone. My phone call was a waste of time!! The front desk host coldly and rudely stated that it was hotel policy that they can't promise what room you get. That's true and I think that's a idiotic and stupid policy. I'm paying lots of money here. When I buy a silver Lexus sedan, I don't get a yellow Corolla hatchback when I pick up. When Hertz doesn't have the car I reserved, they upgrade me. This man showed no empathy, and barely looked up. He directed my family to the elevators which lead us to 20 minutes of wandering around. He didn't bother telling us we needed to get off at the 3rd floor, go across a skywalk and into a different tower!! I have half dozen other negative experiences similar to those told by other reviewers: no rollaway bed available, no blankets available, hours to receive requested items, dozens of rings before someone picks up, etc..... etc. I don't want to repeat what you have already read. Lastly, I would like to mention that after check out, the valet drove up my car with a flat tire. I dropped off my car the previous night without a flat. The valet was obviously very worried he was going to be in trouble. After discussing the matter with his colleagues, they decided they wanted to change my tire for me and send me on my way. They adamantly denied any responsibility for the flat tire. I did let them know I would be contacting my insurance company to inquire about this matter. They can't deny this happening as there are numerous front entrance security camera showing me dropping my car off with healthy tires, receiving the car with a flat, and the men changing my tires. I'm grateful all five of us got home safely while driving on a donut spare. This hotel has all the ingredients of greatness but fails miserably because of poor service and management. I've read all the form letter like responses by management in the other reviews. None actually take responsibility or try to make amends to legit complaints. Poor Value. There are a dozen other hotels within 6 blocks of the Marriott.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank EndoMaster
Barbara F, Executive Guest Experience Liaison at Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments here...we appreciate the feedback. We are so sorry you had such a terrible experience at our hotel last weekend! As you know, the hotel was extremely busy with a chess tournament and a volleyball tournament. Double bedded rooms and extra linens were in very high demand. Unfortunately, the inventory of both were depleted and there were some requests that we just could not accommodate. We are reviewing the events of the weekend with our team to see where adjustments need to be made for future weekends such as this. Your comments regarding the rude and cold behavior of our staff have been shared with our Front Office Manager for immediate corrective action. Thank you again for your time and consideration. We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Philadelphia Marriott.
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

I stayed here for 7 days and 6 nights for a conference. The staff were well trained and handled the room and the facilities well. Everyone was nice and went out to their way to help whenever they could. I ate Marriott food at several catered events during the event and the food was very good. Breakfast was a the level of a top Marriott hotel

The hotel was in walking distance to many downtown historic landmarks as well as shopping in the large markets and all of the major stores and restaurants.

Room Tip: High rooms give a view over the buildings.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank VanessaKUSA
Woodbridge, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

The hotel was very clean. Staff were extremely friendly and professional. Valet service was good experience as well. This hotel was close to everything that one will need or want to do. Nice pool and gym as well. I wish they had a hot tub. I will recommend this hotel to everyone and will stay there again in the future:)

Perfect Trip.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

very crowded hotel

no robe in room

my neighbors were incredibly noisy and when I called the concierge they said they would do something but nothing changed and they didn't call to follow up

you have to pay for wifi

guests need a card to come upstairs so I needed to get dressed and bring my friend up

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Barbara F, Executive Guest Experience Liaison at Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor! We appreciate the opportunity to learn from your feedback. Please accept our apologies for the issues you experienced during your stay especially the noise from other guests. We take great pride in ensuring a memorable experience for all of our guests and regret that we were unable to do that for you. Your comments will be shared with the appropriate members of my team so that corrective actions can be taken for the future. We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Philadelphia Marriott.
Cork
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on business for two nights. It is a very well located hotel just beside the conference centre. It has a good atmosphere in the lobby wit the bar and restaurant adjacent.
My room was in the tower which was very unusual as the windows were basically two portholes which made the room dark. Not a problem for me as I washout each evening.
Only negative was waitress at breakfast one morning explaining to me that the coffee was not cold as it was in a flask even though I was drinking it

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business