“Good as Usual”

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
Ranked #41 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed April 3, 2014

2nd time staying at the hotel was for the Philadelphia Half marathon in November 2013. I had stayed here in July on a personal trip and was impressed so I came back. Even with the hotel completely booked the customer service was excellent. They had my room ready very early and were able to offer me late checkout.The hotel itself is built above a major transit hub and is connected to the convention center and Reading Market. You can reach all three without stepping outside! The hotel is also right by City Hall so it is a walking distance to everything. I will be staying with them in November 2014 for the Philadelphia Marathon.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jetsfan101703
There are newer reviews for Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

Reviewed April 2, 2014

This hotel couldn't be in a better location. So close to many of the sights - it seemed like the hotel was centrally located to most things we wanted to visit. A don't miss - go next door to the Reading Terminal Market - just below the transportation station. The terminal market is where the locals and the tourists eat. It is an indoor market full of food and shopping kiosks. Had some of the most amazing foods there compared with some of the fancy expensive restaurants. Enjoyed what the market had to offer much more. Had some of the best cheesesteak sandwiches at the Market - as opposed to the couple of tourist traps. In fact, several locales said don't go to the tourist traps that sell cheesesteak sandwiches. A little on the hotel - it's a basic downtown Marriott - decent and clean.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Marty375
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

The room's were small, the walls are paper thin, the view was horrible, the service was even worst, the bathroom was old and outdated, (but they did upgrade the sink area THATS IT!) the shower floor looked liked it never been cleaned, and I would have thought by this being a Marriott hotel especially downtown that it would have been nicer. Paid $250 to stay at this horrible hotel. I was so pissed when I got to the room, I will not be returning here. The staff were completely clueless about the restaurants in the area and the room service menu (we didn't have one and they never brought one up after I said we don't have one). Parking was convenient but over priced and the room service was decent but I could have saved my money.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ElleFountaine
Randy A, Manager at Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your stay. We are only sorry to hear that your experience was not a good one. I would like the opportunity to make some corrections in our processes and have the ability to make it up to you, so if you like, could you please forward your room number and dates of stay to randy.arpea@marriott.com. I look forward to the opportunity to respond to you personally.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Large, but ok Marriott hotel. Good location on Market Street, especially for the part beyond City Hall and towards Rittenhouse Sq. The part to independence Sq. is not very nice...
We stayed for one night in mid March in a twin double. Good room size, but the beds are very high. I'm 5ft10 and had troubles climbing into the bed... Nice bathroom with all the amenities you could expect. BUT... When should Marriott and the American hotel chains alike understand that complimentary WiFi is a must? I certainly refuse to pay for something like that. If you walk across the street to Macy's - they've got free WiFi. As European, I also prefer complimentary breakfast. But perhaps - that's just me...

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelagent12345
Barbara F, Executive Guest Experience Liaison at Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay with us. We appreciate the opportunity to benefit from your feedback. Please accept our apologies for the difficulty you had with the height of the bed and your disappointment in having to pay for WIFI. We will use your feedback in our efforts to improve our product and service. Thank you again for your time and consideration. We hope we have another opportunity to welcome you back to the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

Reviewed March 27, 2014

I would not stay here again. The only plus was the location. Everything else seemed as though we were staying at a 2 star hotel, rather than a Marriott. Look elsewhere if you want value and a nice hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Hbteach
Randy A, Manager at Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your stay and our great location. We are only sorry to hear that the rest of your experience was not as good; and for that we are sorry. We appreciate your business and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

Recently stayed here for a convention - few things you need to know, A. it's a downtown hotel parking is not getting any cheaper if you can avoid driving in, do so! B. it is a convention hotel, I get it but really 1.75 miles to get to the conference center from my hotel room... just don't forget anything when you leave your room!

Check-in was fairly good, they were busy obviously but handled it well.... thought someone should have been in the lobby with free water or something for the rate we were paying; staff was pleasant, Tiffany and Roger from the desk especially. BEWARE** Check your dry cleaning when you receive it back, I noticed the zipper on my jacket was broken upon it being returned to my room. I brought this up upon checkout and Tiffany was able to take care of the issue by refunding me for the dry cleaning bill (now hopefully I can get that zipper fixed for $25.00) however she took care of the issue without having to get a supervisor or someone else as she could tell I was anxious to leave after having been there for 4 days! Housekeeping was also very pleasant and engaging each time I passed any of them; loved the ladies on the 9th floor!; All in-all though it is centrally located which makes it pretty easy to get to and from this location (plus for me as I was able to go about Philadelphia and New Jersey fairly easily throughout the week) clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Keni P
Reviewed March 27, 2014

My husband underwent surgery at the Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. We had booked two nights at the Loews Hotel which is directly across the street from the Marriott. Unfortunately, he had to stay an extra night in the hospital. Loews was NOT accommodating. In fact, I was basically thrown out on the street with my luggage.

Fortunately, I noticed the Marriott. I went to the front desk, and was helped by two wonderful professional, courteous, and sympathetic ladies. I can't say enough about them. I wish I remembered their names.

I was given a nice corner room. It was very cozy, clean, and comfortable. It was also a large room with a very nice bathroom. Although I was alone, I felt very safe.

The next morning, I went down for breakfast in the hotel's restaurant. My waitress was also very nice and inviting. The food was very good, albeit a little on the expensive side.

The hotel is a very large hotel, but I had no difficulty finding my way around it. It caters to a lot of business men and women, but I would not hesitate to stay here again for any reason.

I would highly recommend staying at the Marriott on Market Street.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo