“Brilly Philly !”

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
Ranked #42 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Whilst the man was lovely and courteous when we checked in he just gave us our key and said have a nice stay, he never told us about the gym or breakfast arrangements. Our room was a lovely size and the beds quilts and pillows have to be the most comfortable I have ever slept in the sheets and quilt covers though had seen better days and really should be replaced. There was a coffee machine with coffee and tea and a new bottle of mineral water every day which was good. The bath was a real disappointment, great for kids but not a fully grown adult ! Toilet rolls seemed in short supply and were not replenished. Towels were tiny and slightly threadbare. Housekeeping wasn't brilliant. Wished there had been a mini bar/fridge in the room and the room service was a very limited menu. The things I have listed are just things that can be easily remedied and not one of these comments ruined my stay and to be honest I had a great time and cannot wait to come to Philly again. The staff on reception and in particular the Concierges were wonderful and so helpful. The ladies and gentlemen at breakfast couldn't do enough to look after us. I especially fell in love with the tiny lady who made the omelettes (didn't have my glasses on so couldn't catch her name) who always made sure I had my poached eggs ! Perfect location for just about everywhere including the airport. I am still giving a 4 because I would definitely go back there. Thanks to all.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Barbara F, Executive Guest Experience Liaison at Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Thank you so much for the great review of your recent stay with us. We appreciate your taking the time to share your feedback! We are in the process of having refrigerators put in the guest rooms. However, we do have some in inventory for those guests who request them. Should your travels bring you back to the Philadelphia Marriott, please feel free to contact me personally so I can make sure that you have one in your room. I can be reached at (215) 625-6030. We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,346)

Reviewed January 24, 2014

The positives include helpful and courteous staff, and particularly helpful bellmen, and also a great central location. There is a full Starbuck's at street level that is accessible from inside the hotel, and similarly a Kinko's for copying and other business services that is at street level and accessible from inside the hotel. I used the health club and they had all of the basic equipment for a good workout. The bed was comfortable. My room had a chair next to a window which overlooked a lovely parking lot, and a good sized desk for working. The bathroom was fine, but the floor showed pock-marked signs of age. There is no fridge in the room. The hotel itself felt outdated. The rooms, the hallways, and the facilities didn't feel like a Marriott hotel. Our visit for a business convention experienced a hot water issue - at least half of the hotel was left without hot water for showers in the morning. The issue persisted until the afternoon - not just in the rooms but also in the main area bathrooms where there was no hot water for washing hands. Additionally, the Grand Ballroom ceiling began to leak during lunch. In fact, it began to drip from the high ceiling onto a colleague who quickly changed seats. There was at least one other leak inside the Grand Ballroom, and then at least one other leak in the hallway outside of it. When I went to the elevator, I found that half of the bay of 6 elevators were not functioning, leaving just 2 or 3 elevators remaining to service that side of the hotel. This is a facility with great potential and an outstanding location, but it does need some real infrastructure improvements and cosmetic updates at this point.

1  Thank WorkingMomChicago
Randy A, Manager at Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

Thank you for the feedback regarding your experience; we appreciate the opportunity to benefit from it. Your positive comments about our staff and location are just some of the positives about our hotel. I do want to apologize for the inconvenience caused as a result of the unforeseen mechanical failure of both boilers in our main tower; which affected our hot water and heat. To further compound this, it had to occur during record low temperatures here in Philadelphia. We are constantly making improvements to our infrastructure so that we can provide a world class experience for all our guests. If you would like to further discuss your experience, please feel free to contact me. In the meantime, we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

Had another terrific stay at the Marriott Downtown. The location, right by the Reading Terminal Market is wonderful with a bunch of restaurants nearby. We have gone there for a quick getaway for the last few years. Rooms are very clean. Wendy, the reservations manager, was an absolute pleasure. We will be returning.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Loved the location. It is convenient to the International Market Place and other places to eat. You have to pay $48 a day for valet parking but at least the car is at the hotel. I have paid $20 or more to park in other areas of the city. Lets talk about the room. It was a room. Nothing great or nothing upgraded. The toilet backed up on the 1st flush. It would have been obvious to housekeeping that something was wrong if they cleaned the toilet. The sink stopper was broken and you couldn't stop up the sink. This would have been obvious to housekeeping also. Crawled into bed that night to find a short black curly hair on my pillow. It was not mine. I have light brown hair. We were afraid to use the glasses in the room since the housekeeping carts did not have clean ones on it. Guess we can cross this hotel off our list for future trips to Philly.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank TALEE2014
Randy A, Manager at Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your recent experience, I appreciate the opportunity to benefit from your feedback. I would like to apologize for the maintenance and cleanliness issues you outlined; your room was definitely not up to our usual high standards. Your feedback will be used to help us moving forward to provide a clean room with everything in working order. Thank you again for your time and consideration, we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

I stayed at this hotel with the hubby who was there for a convention. The room is nice and clean but the hotel got so crowded that getting coffee from the starbucks in the lobby in the morning turned into a 30 minute ordeal! I mean if you dont want people lining around the lobby for a starbucks at least provide a better decent coffee in the room cz that coffee was disgusting! we couldnt drink it! We also ordered room service one night BAD IDEA!!!!! it is HORRIBLE their onion soup i couldnt take more than two spoonfuls as it felt like you were sipping on ocean water it was so salty! and their philly cheese steak sandwhich was just as salty! So if you are hungry and it is late you might be better off with 7-11 food across the lobby!
the only positive thing about the hotel is its cleanliness and its location as it is connected to the convention center and there is a melting pot, a Maggiano's and a chili's right across the street as well as the Reading terminal which i Love! Also it is walking distance to the liberty bell and to a macy's which was nice. Also the staff was very nice and the concierge was wonderful at recommending places to have dinner.

1  Thank Mireilless
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I attended the massive NSCAA Convention this weekend. First visit to Philadelphia and looking forward to returning. The hotel was totally prepared for the large crowd and everything was very efficient.

All employees were very friendly--housekeepers in the hallway ALWAYS said hello and made polite conversation. Bellmen and valets were all very polite, front desk staff was good as well. Staff seemed genuine. I worked at a luxury hotel (front desk) for 5 years and have high standards!

Room was very clean--only thing was that I happened to look up in the bathroom and see a long hair stuck to the ceiling...which was strange...but otherwise the room was clean and comfortable. Very nice bed and I slept well. Unfortunately walls seemed quite thin--I was on the 22nd floor and it was pretty quiet, but on Friday night people were yelling and singing SO loud that I assumed they must have been in the hallway--they were not, they were next door. I cranked up the television to be able to fall asleep.

Hotel is decorated well, lobby bar is gorgeous, having a Starbucks in the lobby was fantastic since I was working the convention and didn't have much time to spare. The convention is in Philly again next year and I look forward to staying here again.

Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

I was there for 1 night with my family and we enjoyed it a lot! It's a few blocks from the main attractions in the city centre, and you can easily find many restaurants within walking range. The room is spacious, clean and quiet. The bathroom is amazingly large, with a nice modern bathtub, a fabulous shower and toilet in separate spaces.

Stayed: May 2013