“Great Business Hotel”

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
Ranked #42 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Always a great stay in Philly, front desk is always prompt and rooms are great for a Marriott - always a consistent experience. Close to dining, train station, etc....I stay here 8 to 10 times a year...

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,346)

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Perhaps I was just expecting more from this hotel. Living in the suburbs of Philadelphia my husband and I stay over night in the city mutliple times a year to go out to dinner and enjoy a night out without having to worry about driving home. We have stayed at many center city hotels and I must say that I was very dissapointed with this hotel. It appears gigantic and lacks detail to costumer service when compared to some of the other choices of downtown hotels. There was no one there to assist us with our lugguage when we arrived and I watched a bell hop make eye contact with me as I struggled with the door, but didn't offer to help. Check in was quick and our room was clean, but average, my pillow was lumpy ( I know I am picky) but nothing specutacular. The views were very nice and the location was a perk. The worst part was at 3:45 am when the "emergency" alarm" went off telling us an emergency had been reported in our part of the hotel and to wait for further instructions. Personally, I found this message to be unsettling and very confusing, were we to wait it out, or evacuate? Who was making the decision to have us not evacuate? I imagine this was suppose to make us feel better, but for a worrier like me I didn't like being on the 12th floor listening to this message over and over again, so we decided to leave for our own safetly and sanity. We went to the lobby where we saw fire personel. When the alarm ended we sat for a few more minutes and were approached by a female security guard who asked us very rudely if we were staying in this hotel, as if we didn't move fast enough when the alarm ended. I found her questioning tactic to be very rude and I was cranky and tired from having been awoken from the alarm. The next day no one made mention or apologized for the alarm, and on our way out, while in the lobby we were approached by a man asking us for money.

This hotel could do much better, I have concerns about the security, especially, the customer service and the disrupted sleep obviously impacted my review. If you are looking for a nice, romantic night out, I would not recommend this hotel, there are many other hotels in the city that offer a more intimate, detailed and comfortable experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank thrillseekers
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We had two rooms booked for two nights, Dec. 30,31st. I'm always worried traveling during peak times since service usually suffers. This was not the case! The Marriott, manager Michael, all the were beyond impressive. Normal snafu's (being place in a single bed room vs double) were taken care of speedily and with great courtesy. At the end of our trip one elevator stopped working and magically an employee with a walkie talkie showed up and directed our party of 8 (kids, grandmas) to a hidden service elevator and brought us down. I will be coming back again with our family.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a conference in early December 2013. It was the host hotel so I really did not bother shopping around for rates. This is a really nice hotel. There are actually two parts to the hotel, the main complex then an adjacent Headhouse which I stayed in. If given the choice stay in the Headhouse as the rooms are apparently a little larger and the history on display around the entrance to the Headhouse is quite interesting. Having no car I appreciated not having to shell out the nightly parking fee and I also appreciated the proximity of great restaurants and shopping. Unfortunately most of my days were spent in conference but this location is well suited for walking to many of the local historical attractions too. As other reviews have pointed out you must make time for the Reading Terminal Market. It is an unbelievable collection of restaurants, local crafts, gifts, etc… All in all a great place to stay!

Room Tip: Stay in the Headhouse complex if given the choice.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Having lived nearby for a couple years and never visiting the hotel I had not ventured inside of it. Pleasantly surprised at what I experienced. Updated and quite rooms and hallways, great gym and pool, friendly front desk and bell staff. For a center/convention hotel it did not feel too big as most do.

Amenities galore...FedEx Office, Starbucks, Gift Shop, etc all inside plus restaurants and bars. Biggest plus is being across the street from Reading Terminal Market, a must-do for any visit to Philly. You also have Macy's across the street inside of which is the wonderful pipe organ than plays at certain times during the day. City Hall a block away as is the Broad Street line that takes you down to the ball parks.

It is nice to see a Marriott equipped with a different, upgraded soap and shampoo offering, something they should do at other chains within the brand.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We stayed here during a short trip to Philly, but the hotel made us wish we could have stayed longer. The facility was great, with a decent workout room and a nice lobby and restaurants, and the location was perfect. It is a stone's throw from the Reading Terminal Market, a must-see destination in Philly for any foodie. It is also very close to City Hall and a subway line. Moreover, the check-in staff was good enough to let us check in early without any problem when we arrived early. My only objection is to the high parking fee ($48 per night). If we are in Philly again, we will surely look to come back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher is probably better -- you get a good view and are farther from the restaurants etc. on lower...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed on several occasions- most recently with my wife so we could attend a holiday event in Philadelphia, which happened to coincide with Army-Navy weekend. With 1,200 rooms, they are busy enough and usually overwhelmed. Add this dynamic to the equation and it is darn near impossible to get any decent service. And good luck getting your car after checkout. The valet situation is ridiculous. Takes forever, and more hectic than a bus station at rush hour.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple