“Nice place”

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
Ranked #42 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Were here for a convention at this hotel, it's well located. Everything is nearby, and this town is set-up for walking. The rooms are quiet and well appointed, but ours doesn't have a refrigerator. The staff is everywhere and very helpful. During the conference, there seemed to be a problem with fuses blowing during presentations.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Barbara F, Executive Guest Experience Liaison at Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Thank you so much for the great review of your recent stay with us. We appreciate your taking the time to share your positive feedback! We are in the process of having refrigerators put in the guest rooms. However, we do have some in inventory for those guests who request them. Should your travels bring you back to the Philadelphia Marriott, please feel free to contact me personally so I can make sure that you have one in your room. I can be reached at (215) 625-6030. We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,393)

Reviewed October 3, 2013

This was my third stay here and have been able all three times to get a reasonable price for a downtown hotel. It is near everything, has a nice central bar for meeting up and a nice bar menu. Only downside is it can be noisy

Room Tip: Facing Market can be noisy
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I've stayed at many hotels as a frequent traveler(FL,CA, NYC, MS, MN, MD, AR, TX, LA, DC, and currently here in Philly, PA), how ever l've never been treated as if I'm asking too much, but of course you can decide. I'm here at the Marriott - Downtown 1201 Market Street, Philadelphia Pennsylvania, checked in on 10/2/13(Wednesday) - 11/6/13(Sunday). However, I am strongly considering reducing my stay here and going to the Hyatt as I have another business meeting at that location from 11/6/2013 through 11/9/2013 in downtown Philadelphia, by the way Internet in the lobby and in your personal room is free! My bill will be over 1,040.00. My problem is that this Marriott does not recognize all customers as important/equal, important enough to offer equal Internet access to all rewards members. To pay an additional $13 per night for Internet in my room versus going downstairs and possibly being interrupted and inconvenienced while working is not the way a customer should be treated! More over, Internet is available and widely accessible at other properties so why are we charging additional fees??? I've stayed at other Marriott owned properties and this Internet policy is not uniform across the board, as it offers preferential treatment to "certian"rewards members, let alone your ordinary customers!!!! Additionally it's 2013, 20th century, internet is not a luxury item let alone one that should be charged to a client paying to reside at your hotel. On, 11/2/2013, I spoke to a member of management, Mark, Operations Manager/Front Desk Manager here at the Marriott downtown Philadelphia and was told that we can't do anything about it, really? I see that my money is not good enough for the Marriott. I offered my discontent with the situation and asked for the name of the general manager for this particular property. Nevertheless, I will send a letter to Randy Arpea, General Manager (and Marriott Corporate Offices) and discontinue future stays at Marriott owned properties. If you have a Internet policy, then it should be uniform for all properties and not subject to certain locations; certain levels of rewards benefits; and more importantly, it should not expose your lower level rewards members to unfavorable treatment and your ordinary guests to unfair treatment! Frustrated & inconvenienced, Jacob (Marriott #097 153 894)

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Herqueles
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Marriott has 4 properties creating their mini town. Check in was disappointing as first room faced 3 corners surrounded by walls (buildings) and clerk did not try to get a nice room or view for a gold member. Rooms were okay but surely over priced even at convention rates. Lounge was nice but since no drinking glasses out I had an empty wine glass and an attitude from the attendant I did not fill out a slip so she wanted to inspect my empty unused glass as well as my drinking glass with water to see if alcohol. HORRIBLE insult but let it go. All other employees and staff were great

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Rich W
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We were here for a week for a conference. Check in was easy, and the room with a king sized bed is just what you get from Marriott. Clean. Bathroom is fine, not huge but with a decent rain shower and enough counter space for our paraphernalia. My only major objection is that the hairdryer is a tiny 1200 watt dryer, which took forever to dry my long thick hair. When I called to see if any alternative dryer was available, I was told no. Most places have 1650 watts or better, so this was lousy. They do have good coffeemakers in the room which can make tea or coffee, although their condiments include sweet and low as the sweetener. Who uses that anymore? On the plus side, this hotel has a terrific lap pool (just 2 lanes but you can actually swim laps) with a side section for kids. And the gym has excellent machines, although I couldn't find wipes anywhere to clean them off before or after use.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 30, 2013

This hotel has a lot going on. It is right next the the Reading Terminal. ThT is a must visit! The concierge lounge had a standard Marriott breakfast with a pretty good 'light' dinner and dessert at night. My room was great my only let down with the entire hotel was the bathroom. I had this fabulous spacious room with this tight cramped bathroom. A true let down (see pics). Otherwise a great Marriott hotel.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Barbara F, Executive Guest Experience Liaison at Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Thank you so very much for your positive review. We appreciate your taking the time to post your comments and were pleased to hear that you enjoyed our hotel. We hope we have the pleasure to welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed September 30, 2013

it has 2 different buildings; we stayed at the old one, rooms very spacious and comfortable, but lack of technology. it has no free wireless internet connection, (what???). There are 2 fitness areas, watch out! one is top of the line, but the 2nd one quite depressing... plus Starbucks and the best location... 2 blocks from marshalls!!! hahaha

Room Tip: newest building!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for posting your review and sharing your feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed the tower building which is part of the original Reading Railroad train shed and very unique in design. We are continuously working on upgrading our technology so hopefully we will be able to offer wireless internet in the near future. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back!