“Comfort and Modest Elegance”

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
Ranked #42 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I've been to this hotel several times before for meetings, but this was the first time I went for a conference and stayed overnight. The meeting rooms are nothing new, just the usual armless chairs and bland rooms. But the guest rooms are another story entirely! The key cards are the kind that you just hold up to the keypad -- no need to stick it in a slot or anything so mundane. Very simple and dummy-proof. The rooms are soooooo comfy! The bed was great, with fluffy pillows and lots of them. I liked the quiet elegance of the guest rooms, with framed photos of Phili scenes and buildings instead conference art. We paid conference rates for the rooms, and it wasn't cheap, so I'd guess it's pricey if you're not attending a conference. But it was a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,363)

Reviewed August 1, 2013

First of all, I was selected to report for jury duty and needed to stay over night at a hotel.
I have no complaints about this hotel, Very nicely decorated, The employees are very friendly and helpful. Did not have the opportunity to enjoy this one. Because I was stuck at the Federal Courthouse in a jury room all day!. Husband had more time there than I did, But that is okay. Valet parking is the only option available. At 40 dollars a day plus 8 dollars tax. this hotel is very expensive and for the price (non government rate) should at least have a refrigerator in the room.
It is in walking distance to Independence Mall, etc.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I stayed at the Philly Marriott for a conference last week. It was a large conference and the hotel sold out and very busy. I realize the perils of a convention hotel, especially when full of people who usually don't travel, but unfortunately it was not a positive enough experience for me to want to stay here again.

At check in, I was impressed--the General Manager was greeting guests and striking up conversations while we waited. He seems like a good guy, and made the line feel shorter than it was. I am a Gold elite, but did not get a room that one would consider an elite room...very standard. Room was generally comfortable and clean. It was the general service of the hotel that seemed to deteriorate over the 4 nights I stayed. Here are the pros:

1. Comfortable bed
2. Outstanding location...truly outstanding. Easy to get anywhere and a lot of good restaurants and cafes very close.
3. Friendly people. I think the employees generally mean well (except for the service request line). Housekeeper was very friendly, but failed to follow up on requests.

Cons:

1. No recognition of gold. None, never, nada. I did get Club access, so I know they knew. I'm not looking to be showered over, but just a thank you for business would be nice.

2. Club is lousy. Food is good if you can get to it. They don't refresh the food very often nor keep the buffet very clean. Food I was able to get tasted fine, but generally the club is very dirty during breakfast/hors d'eauvers (sp?).
One morning they served with the eggs something that I think was flat, square sausage, but looked more like small french toasts. They looked disgusting, so I never tried. Club is understaffed, and the staff that is there, quite rude. They ran out of drink glasses, so when I went to the kitchen one evening to ask for a glass, woman stated "I'll get them out when I can". Whatever...the paper coffee cup worked just fine, I suppose.

3. At check in, I didn't get a room service menu. The restaurant had a wait, so I went across to Lowes' restaurant--Sole Kitchen. Outstanding. I asked the housekeeper if she could leave a menu for me when she went to my room. She acknowledged very politely and pointed to some that she had in her cart. No menu upon return that evening. So, I went down the street.

4. Bath mat was missing twice, and coffee cup lids missing when I needed them, a very early check out on Sunday.

5. When checking in, and I opened the door, a blast of hot hot air came at me. The room was soooooo hot. I'm talking Phoenix in a car in August hot. I spoke to several others who had the same experience. I get and support conservation, but...

6. On the last night, I called service request at 4:30pm to request Turndown. I needed a shower before heading out to a formal that evening. I had to get up at 4am for an early flight, so wanted to make sure the towels were switched out. Got in at 10pm--no turndown and towels still on the floor. I called the request line--explained that I didn't get turndown. "Ok, I'll send some up". No apology. None...really??? 30 minutes later and needing to go to bed, I called down to see if I was number 3 on the list still or #30. I had already hung up the towels from the floor to use the next morning just in case. Basically, I annoyed the operator--again, no apology--for asking. She said they would be there shortly. At the :50 min mark, they arrived. UNACCEPTABLE...

7. At checkout, I was prepared to answer the question, "How was your stay". Never got the question...rather the clerk excused herself as I walked up to the desk and never really acknowledged anything with me other than to check me out. So, $1000 to the hotel, and not even a thank you.

I stayed at the Hyatt Penn Landing the night before...an older, smaller but much nicer property a short walk to the Independence Mall area. Next time I'm in Philly for a conference, it won't be at the Marriott.

1  Thank KC66212
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is a big and busy conference hotel, well located in downtown Philly with standard Marriott amenities. Regular rooms are rather small; rooms in the Headhouse Tower annex are much larger, however be careful in that some of these are cave-like with only a small, single porthole for a window. Unlike most Marriott hotels where standards are high, I found service here to be hit or miss. Front desk personnel were not unpleasant but not as welcoming as usual. I received no Platinum welcome gift as is customary. Despite no one behind me in line, the concierge was not particularly helpful and couldn't get rid of me fast enough. The TV in my room worked only sporadically throughout my stay -- the hotel blamed the cable company. I downgraded my rating one star for the mere fact that hotel management has the gall to charge $12 for a glass and $41 for a bottle of Woodbridge wine ($6 a bottle in many stores)! I know wine markups at hotels and restaurants are high but come on! I would be inclined to give this hotel another try simply because I am loyal to Marriott, but would hope that these issues are rectified.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed here to do some sightseeing, as well as go to a concert nearby. I got a great deal on this hotel via priceline. The location is perfect, close to the Trocadero concert venue, the heart of downtown, the liberty bell, city hall, the Mutter Museum, etc. The lobby is very nice and semi-fancy looking. The rooms are adequate but nothing special. The beds were pretty comfy, but I was very surprised that there was no mini-fridge in the room. It was very hot when we went and it would have been nice to buy drinks and keep them cold. I think this may be done so that you use their convenient vending machine in the hallway. Nevertheless, I would definitely return here if I got another great priceline deal, but I definitely would not pay full/premium price for this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I stayed here for a convention and found the facilities to be very good.

My only objections were the internet which was slow for a quality hotel and required a new logo-on each day, (I would have given the hotel maximum rating but for this) and the lack of replacement amenities such as toiletries and laundry bags.

My room was comfortable, the hotel location is great (next to a delightful market and close to Chinatown).

Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stayed here mid July for a 3 day medical conference and were not so thrilled. The requests for additional shampoo and towels went unheeded for every day. The parking costs $48 per day and that was over the top. On the plus side, the bellmen and service staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. I wish the front desk staff were half as helpful. Location is great, we easily found our way around. Rooms were not that quiet-street traffic was a steady background ambient sound through our stay. The beds were not comfortable at all - mine was lumpy and uneven, and my back was in total pain by the next morning. The shower was "ok" but there was either no vent or it did not work so every bathroom experience left a little something to be desired. This was a work related conference for me so luckily I was reimbursed but I'd be annoyed if I payed all of this out of my own pocket for a suboptimal experience. BUt hey it's Philly, what else can I say?