“Great location, but noisy.”

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
Ranked #41 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Recently stayed at the Downtown Marriott, and although the location is perfect, the noise level wasn't. We booked a king bed room and when we checked in at 4pm (not late) there were only doubles left, unless we took one right near the elevators or a handicap room. The view was of the a/c units. Because this is near the convention center, the noise level was extremely loud, as it was booked. Unfortunately guests who came back to their rooms at 2am were not courteous to those sleeping and were very loud. Also, I guess housekeeping just consists of change of towels, making the bed and emptying the trash. The bathroom floor was never cleaned, nor the shower and the carpet wasn't vacuumed once.

Room Tip: Apparently you need to pay more for better rooms!

Reviewed April 25, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for the 3rd time. My 1st visit was 13 years ago and my second visit was 4 years ago. So I've seen the downhill slide. They have upgraded the rooms with flat screen TV(s) that feature the same awful channel selection as most hotels. Since my first visit there are a number of things that are no longer at the hotel. Most notably the steak house and the hot tub in the pool area.
If you intend to stay at this hotel I would suggest packing your own pillows. The pillows aren't fit for a shiatsu. They are about the size of a 8 1/2 by 11 inch sheet of paper and about an inch to an inch and a half thick.
You have to use your card key to go everywhere. This should be a clue to how safe the area of downtown Philadelphia is these days. There are homeless people everywhere. They hang around the entrance to the Reading Terminal Market and beg for money, food, etc. I had read about the homeless problem and it is all true.
I only ate breakfast in "13" one morning. It was the usual $25 eggs and toast. If you go there eat in Reading Terminal for about $15.
The staff was a mixed bag. When I called about the pillows the guy basically laughed at me. When I went to the concierge the woman behind the counter was about as useless as they get. However the man behind the counter that night was EXCEPTIONAL!
If you are going to Philly for leisure travel and you've never been there before you will find a day or 2 worth to see. If you are thinking about your second trip GO SOMEPLACE ELSE!

Room Tip: Don't let them put you next to a suite with a connecting door unless you want to hear everything...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Great choice in philly downtown, very convenient if travelling from the airport with the public train as the station is right below the hotel. The food market is very close too and is not to be missed.
The hotel itself is massive, we were given the room in the annexe. The room was huge, recently renovated with a little living room area (sofa, armchair, table), and was very cozy.
Shame the free WiFi was available in the lobby only, but this is the only improvement I can suggest.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the annexe
1  Thank 4cranbourne
Reviewed April 24, 2013

If you want to be in the center of Philadelphia, this would be the place. It is next to the Convention Center, City Hall, Terminal Market, several bus and trolley stops and the Market East station. Liberty Bell is about 6 blocks away. Reasonable prices, many rooms and great hotel service. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: We stayed here a couple of times and the rooms overlooking City Hall were out favorites.
1  Thank CabernetFrank
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed for the weekend of my birthday for two nights. While the room was nice, it wasn't anything special. The main thing I didn't like was the fact that we didn't have a refrigerator in our room. I thought they came standard in hotel rooms but apparently not. Something I did like is that you need a cardkey to go to the hotel room floors so it was like an added safety knowing that not just anyone could come in. Although the hotel room itself was average, the location was perfect. Just steps away from public transportation and within walking distance to the historic district, Center City and many other things. It's also right across the street from Reading Terminal Market. I would stay here again based on the location alone.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

The staff was very responsive and gave us a room with a great view of city hall. There was supposed to be a fridge in the room but one was sent within 5 minutes of my second request.
Pool- was a fair size but not at all crowded (it probably would be in the summer). The water was a nice temperature.

Food- I was a little surprised not to have more food options in the hotel. Circ is a swanky bar/lounge (but is not for kids) and 13 had a paltry selection of food (which was mediocre at best). The staff was friendly but it's not worth eating there. Walk across the street to Reading Terminal Market or Maggianos.

The concierge was less than helpful recommending restaurants nearby (I'm in Philadelphia I refuse to eat at Chili's). She seemed to be in a hurry to do something else each time I asked she started walking away before I'd finished my response. Not cool.

Also- My smoke detector went of at 3:00- talk about a rude awakening. I wish I had known that i could take off of the wall and take the battery out like I do at home. My 6 y/o and I were miserable for ten minutes waiting for maintenance.

Room service was wonderful and speedy considering the size of the hotel. The room was neat and clean. No complaints!

Mani/Pedi- I guess the hotel's salon is closed. It was recommended that we go to 4 Season's Nail Salon. The service was great but the neighborhood was NOT. Keep a tight grip on your bag. My daughter had lots of questions about the homeless people sleeping on the sidewalk (one was shrieking). Caught a two man team that had me marked to steal my purse/wallet. Had I waited 30 seconds longer to change directions our trip would not have gone so well. Scary.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This chain hotel is in a perfect location for the history seeking. A typically classiy Marriot with lovely rooms and impeciable service. For food, take advantage of the Reading Terminal Market across the street, sit under the cherry blossom trees and watch the world go by, or hop on the city tour buses at the Marriot's doorstep.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the "City Hall " give you a spectacular view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family