“perfect for a short stay”

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
Ranked #42 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Great choice in philly downtown, very convenient if travelling from the airport with the public train as the station is right below the hotel. The food market is very close too and is not to be missed.
The hotel itself is massive, we were given the room in the annexe. The room was huge, recently renovated with a little living room area (sofa, armchair, table), and was very cozy.
Shame the free WiFi was available in the lobby only, but this is the only improvement I can suggest.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the annexe
1  Thank 4cranbourne
Write a ReviewReviews (3,392)

Reviewed April 24, 2013

If you want to be in the center of Philadelphia, this would be the place. It is next to the Convention Center, City Hall, Terminal Market, several bus and trolley stops and the Market East station. Liberty Bell is about 6 blocks away. Reasonable prices, many rooms and great hotel service. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: We stayed here a couple of times and the rooms overlooking City Hall were out favorites.
1  Thank CabernetFrank
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed for the weekend of my birthday for two nights. While the room was nice, it wasn't anything special. The main thing I didn't like was the fact that we didn't have a refrigerator in our room. I thought they came standard in hotel rooms but apparently not. Something I did like is that you need a cardkey to go to the hotel room floors so it was like an added safety knowing that not just anyone could come in. Although the hotel room itself was average, the location was perfect. Just steps away from public transportation and within walking distance to the historic district, Center City and many other things. It's also right across the street from Reading Terminal Market. I would stay here again based on the location alone.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

The staff was very responsive and gave us a room with a great view of city hall. There was supposed to be a fridge in the room but one was sent within 5 minutes of my second request.
Pool- was a fair size but not at all crowded (it probably would be in the summer). The water was a nice temperature.

Food- I was a little surprised not to have more food options in the hotel. Circ is a swanky bar/lounge (but is not for kids) and 13 had a paltry selection of food (which was mediocre at best). The staff was friendly but it's not worth eating there. Walk across the street to Reading Terminal Market or Maggianos.

The concierge was less than helpful recommending restaurants nearby (I'm in Philadelphia I refuse to eat at Chili's). She seemed to be in a hurry to do something else each time I asked she started walking away before I'd finished my response. Not cool.

Also- My smoke detector went of at 3:00- talk about a rude awakening. I wish I had known that i could take off of the wall and take the battery out like I do at home. My 6 y/o and I were miserable for ten minutes waiting for maintenance.

Room service was wonderful and speedy considering the size of the hotel. The room was neat and clean. No complaints!

Mani/Pedi- I guess the hotel's salon is closed. It was recommended that we go to 4 Season's Nail Salon. The service was great but the neighborhood was NOT. Keep a tight grip on your bag. My daughter had lots of questions about the homeless people sleeping on the sidewalk (one was shrieking). Caught a two man team that had me marked to steal my purse/wallet. Had I waited 30 seconds longer to change directions our trip would not have gone so well. Scary.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

This chain hotel is in a perfect location for the history seeking. A typically classiy Marriot with lovely rooms and impeciable service. For food, take advantage of the Reading Terminal Market across the street, sit under the cherry blossom trees and watch the world go by, or hop on the city tour buses at the Marriot's doorstep.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the "City Hall " give you a spectacular view.
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We Price lined this great hotel for a stay before we headed to New York. It was great from the moment we walked in. They upgraded my kids and myself to a suite which was awesome. The location is minutes from Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. It is right next to Reading terminal which has all the food you could want. Some of the best ice cream. The restaurant is in there that has the best sandwich in the USA voted from Man vs. Food show also! Awesome location, great staff, and nice rooms. We even had a great swim while there!

Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

The only reason to ever stay here is the location. I'm kicking myself for staying here again above and beyond that. As usual there is no upgrade available at check in even though Ive been a rewards member for 15 years and there are many rooms available online upon check-in. Incredibly inept management flourishes at this property. There are 5 birds nests prominently diplayed in the Marriott sign on Filbert st. How nice. Room service is a joke and the employees are uneducated and untrained reference hospitality and professionalism. Just listen to them taking breaks outside property on Filbert st complaining about this place. Again, location is great to just about everything including restaurant row and shopping and terminal market. Aside from that this is potentially the must incompetently run Marriott I have ever seen. Rooms have a musty odor which is incredible since they were refurbished in 2011. Overall its just a very disappointing property. To the Regional people im asking you to replace the management here, please!!!

• Stayed: April 2013