“Great Location, Average Room”

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
Ranked #41 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
“Great Location, Average Room”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed for the weekend of my birthday for two nights. While the room was nice, it wasn't anything special. The main thing I didn't like was the fact that we didn't have a refrigerator in our room. I thought they came standard in hotel rooms but apparently not. Something I did like is that you need a cardkey to go to the hotel room floors so it was like an added safety knowing that not just anyone could come in. Although the hotel room itself was average, the location was perfect. Just steps away from public transportation and within walking distance to the historic district, Center City and many other things. It's also right across the street from Reading Terminal Market. I would stay here again based on the location alone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (602)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The staff was very responsive and gave us a room with a great view of city hall. There was supposed to be a fridge in the room but one was sent within 5 minutes of my second request.
Pool- was a fair size but not at all crowded (it probably would be in the summer). The water was a nice temperature.

Food- I was a little surprised not to have more food options in the hotel. Circ is a swanky bar/lounge (but is not for kids) and 13 had a paltry selection of food (which was mediocre at best). The staff was friendly but it's not worth eating there. Walk across the street to Reading Terminal Market or Maggianos.

The concierge was less than helpful recommending restaurants nearby (I'm in Philadelphia I refuse to eat at Chili's). She seemed to be in a hurry to do something else each time I asked she started walking away before I'd finished my response. Not cool.

Also- My smoke detector went of at 3:00- talk about a rude awakening. I wish I had known that i could take off of the wall and take the battery out like I do at home. My 6 y/o and I were miserable for ten minutes waiting for maintenance.

Room service was wonderful and speedy considering the size of the hotel. The room was neat and clean. No complaints!

Mani/Pedi- I guess the hotel's salon is closed. It was recommended that we go to 4 Season's Nail Salon. The service was great but the neighborhood was NOT. Keep a tight grip on your bag. My daughter had lots of questions about the homeless people sleeping on the sidewalk (one was shrieking). Caught a two man team that had me marked to steal my purse/wallet. Had I waited 30 seconds longer to change directions our trip would not have gone so well. Scary.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This chain hotel is in a perfect location for the history seeking. A typically classiy Marriot with lovely rooms and impeciable service. For food, take advantage of the Reading Terminal Market across the street, sit under the cherry blossom trees and watch the world go by, or hop on the city tour buses at the Marriot's doorstep.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the "City Hall " give you a spectacular view.
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We Price lined this great hotel for a stay before we headed to New York. It was great from the moment we walked in. They upgraded my kids and myself to a suite which was awesome. The location is minutes from Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. It is right next to Reading terminal which has all the food you could want. Some of the best ice cream. The restaurant is in there that has the best sandwich in the USA voted from Man vs. Food show also! Awesome location, great staff, and nice rooms. We even had a great swim while there!

NY,NY
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

The only reason to ever stay here is the location. I'm kicking myself for staying here again above and beyond that. As usual there is no upgrade available at check in even though Ive been a rewards member for 15 years and there are many rooms available online upon check-in. Incredibly inept management flourishes at this property. There are 5 birds nests prominently diplayed in the Marriott sign on Filbert st. How nice. Room service is a joke and the employees are uneducated and untrained reference hospitality and professionalism. Just listen to them taking breaks outside property on Filbert st complaining about this place. Again, location is great to just about everything including restaurant row and shopping and terminal market. Aside from that this is potentially the must incompetently run Marriott I have ever seen. Rooms have a musty odor which is incredible since they were refurbished in 2011. Overall its just a very disappointing property. To the Regional people im asking you to replace the management here, please!!!

• Stayed April 2013
Laurel, Maryland
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Marriott Downtown Philadelphia for the weekend of April 12 to 14. It was a very nice stay. The staff was great and if I needed anything they were fast to accommodate me. The hotel is in a great location. It is close to restaurants, attractions and transportation. If you need a bigger room stay in the Head House wing they have a king bed with pull out sofa. Reading terminal market is right across the street, make sure you go there. Do not use the hotel parking, their is a parking garage across the street. It is self service and a little cheaper.all in all it was a good stay and will stay their on my next trip to Philadelphia.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two nights. It was a beautiful facility! It was a quick access to all of downtown. The only negative was the parking!! It was almost $40 per night to park (as are most downtown hotels) and the staff was less than courteous! As we waited for almost 45 minutes for our vehicle to be retrieved, we heard the revving of an engine with and deep acceleration followed byloud screech and bang of a vehicle into the concrete barrier. As the vehicle approached its disturbed owners, the attendant passed the keys over to the owner with no explanation as to why the entire side of the vehicle was damaged. He simply told the vehicle owners to refer to his supervisor who did nothing! I felt this was very alarming! How can a vehicle worth more than $40,000 have thousands of dollars of damage without any explaination or course of action to fix the vehicle!

• Stayed August 2012