“ring in the new year”

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
Ranked #41 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We have been staying in Phila. since I can remember with family to celebrate the New Years. We had stayed at the Courtyard (right across the street) which is like no other since it is in a historical land mark building however, since they have redone this Downtown Marriott a few years ago, we now stay here. If you want to be in the city for the New Years Day Mummers parade this hotel is sooo convenient. You are steps away from the parade. I believe there are other hotels that have views overlooking the street of the parade but they are booked out a year to years in advance so good luck with that! We book a week to two in advance and we have never had a problem except for 2 years ago when they had an alumni hockey game in town but we still got a room. There are many restaurants right out the door if you don't want to eat at the Marriott New Years Eve ...we usually go to Maggianos across the street. You're steps away from the parade New Years Day and when it is freezing it is so convenient. (Btw there is a Starbucks in the hotel).The Courtyard has a great breakfast buffet that morning but it is a little pricey but they also have a cozy lounge area where you can also sit in and have a drink or some lunch to warm up and then head back out to brave the weather. This past year we just grabbed some breakfast -like items things from the 7-11 which is right across the street. If you forgot any bubbly there is a liquor store too...right across the street...are you getting the picture here??? This hotel is very convenient. Certainly you do have to drive or take public transportation to the fireworks but that is by the water so if you want to be close to that you have to stay there but we like to be close to the parade. Reading Terminal Market is diagonal from the hotel too and that has lots of great food and places to eat. Macy's, which is in the Wanamakers building, still has the light show so if you have little kids this is amazing to see and again - - - it is right around the corner! We have never had a problem with anything in the room so I don't understand the one review and this hotel does fill up. Two negatives though; one, the pillows are horrible...so hard and two, we had concierge access and the man and woman working New years eve were rather miserable.Not typically what you find at other Marriott I've stayed at so not quite sure if that is how it always is there.We also had stayed in this hotel for our anniversary and invited friends and got other rooms and the hotel could not have been more accommodating. The pool is mobbed with kids but I see this with most hotel pools that are 4 feet deep so if you think you are going to take a couple of laps in quiet you might want to rethink this idea. The rooms were clean and nice and a lot of them have great city views!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Stayed here last night with husband. Valet was efficient, as was check in despite a very full hotel and lots of people checking in all at the same time (appreciated the elite line for rewards members). Staff was friendly, all seemed slightly overwhelmed, but all were pleasant. Room was musty, bed was very worn, with a "divot" in the center of the bed, we both rolled into the divot while sleeping. This morning, hopped into shower and was disappointed to realize we had shampoo and lotion, but no conditioner.
Overall, friendly staff, average, older hotel in need of updates. Good location in downtown Philadelphia.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2013

It's funny, I reviewed this hotel on my last stay and basically said average. I'm not sure what changed this time, but we really enjoyed it (maybe because we had stayed at the Holiday Inn Express the night before and this was SO MUCH better!), it actually probably had alot to do with our check in experience too, last time I was here, I was made to feel inferior having booked on priceline, and told I had to wait for my room and would get a room with two beds, even though I asked for one, it seemed last time everything was a hassle. This time, it was GREAT. The girl who checked me in could not have been nicer, our room was ready right away (noon) I requested a higher floor as we would be there 3 nights, over New Year's and she said no problem at all.
The room itself was great! Big bathroom, really really comfortable bedding, a great view, spacious, clean everything! Loved it!
One thing not to miss is the Reading Terminal Market right across the road, it's a food and market heaven. Eat there for breakfast, lunch, even dinner!!!

Room Tip: a higher floor is really nice....
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Hotel was very nice. Room very comfortable. Indoor pool was a little dirty so we decided not to use it and the water was a little tooo warm.
Staff was friendly and very helpful. We were attending a family wedding and didn't really spend much time in the hotel/room.

Room Tip: We were very satisfied with our standard room. Nothing special, but it was comfortable, and clean.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Any basic hotel should have a functioning TV. This Marriott can't provide that. After staying here for more than 4 weeks for a client project the TV has NEVER once operated properly in ANY room I've stayed at. It takes several minutes for anyone at the front desk to even pick up. It'll take 45 minutes to have someone sent to your room to fix the multiple problems it is bound to have. Broken TV, broken ice machine, dirty bathroom, no menus, ridiculously slow internet...the laundry list of minor annoyances adds up. I also had two employees enter my room at night without due warning when I never called! Way out of line. If I weren't required to stay here... I wouldn't. By far the worst Marriott I've ever stayed at. About the only positive factor is the location.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Motuofm
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We were there right before Christmas, the hotel was not very full. The staff was kind and helpful. Our room was clean and comfortable. The 13 restaurant staff couldn't have been nicer. It is a awesome location. This is more a business and convention hotel, but I would not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ssbelltx
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We arrived at 10 am and check in isn't until 4 pm. Luckily, we were able to check in and go to our room. We were on the 16th floor and got a corner room. Very clean and nice. The entire staff was kind, pleasant and helpful. The pool was clean and well maintained. Didn't eat at the hotel restaurants. Great location! We went to Reading Terminal Market and Maggiano's- right across the street. Also, saw the light show at Macy's (glad we saw it, but not spectacular)- right across the street. Short walk to Walnut Street Theater and to Basilica Sts. Peter and Paul. Very close to Historical parts of Philly. Would go back in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: The higher floors have better views. We saw Ben Franklin statue and parts of the city. Corner rooms...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family