“Perfect for Marathon Stay”

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
Ranked #41 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
North Carolina
“Perfect for Marathon Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed at the Phila Marriott Downtown for one night before running the Marathon. Hotels sell out quickly, so book early. I booked through the race website and got a decent price; overall, I was just happy to get a room in center city near race start.

The location is great for anyone running the race. The hotel is connected to the Convention Center, where packet pickup / expo is held. Great pre-race meal choices abound. The race start is an easy, direct mile walk away.

I was able to check in around 11am. The room was clean and comfortable, with a good selection of TV stations. On the day of my race, I was able to get a late checkout with no hassle. I was very pleased with my short stay, and would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (585)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Downtown Marriott this past weekend for Thanksgiving. Just to set the stage to add a little credibility to my post (versus being just a complaining customer), I exclusively stay in Marriotts for my job and I travel 50% of the year, for full weeks at a time. I am a Platinum member every year, so this is an honest Marriott review.

This is the worst Marriott that I have stayed in, hands down - and I LOVE the brand. I will continue to stay in Marriotts, but this one was just not up to par with other Downtown venues.

The common area facilities are beautiful, but the rooms are not cleaned well. Here is a quick rundown of my stay.

1. After check in at 10 pm, my wife washed her face and used a towel. As she pulled the towel away from her face, she had a clump of someone else's hair on her face that wasn't cleaned from the towel. G. R. O. S. S.

2. I am not an expert, but it looked like there was puke on the toilet. Brownish/yellow streaks down the bowl, and a few chunks of something on the back of the toilet (see picture) - not to mention a brown film on the toilet seat itself.

3. Hair in the sink and in the tub when investigated. As I pulled back the covers of the bed while deciding what to do, I noticed hair on the bottom sheet and hair on the pillow.

4. Was moved to a new room. There was hair in the sink, but at least it had a clean toilet bowl and bed.

The bellman named Dexter escorted me and my wife to a new room (he was the highlight of the trip and should probably be the hotel manager - nice, disarmed my anger, and was extremely apologetic). Promote this man.

**I am generally not a complainer, and I never ask for handouts, but I was disappointed in the resolution. I spoke with the manager the next morning, and after apologizing, he asked if there was anything he could do. I replied that whatever he felt was appropriate would be fine. I was credited 7500 points on to my account (it cost me 30K points to stay in the room). I suppose that I was hoping that the manager would have taken care of the room cost and deposited my points back to me; that is what I would have done and what I expected, I just didn't want to ask for it.

Moral of the story - if you have the flexibility, stay at the Courtyard (it is right across the street).

I will continue to back the Marriott brand and stay in Marriotts for work.

Hope this helps!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Joe S
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

It is hard to go wrong if you choose Marriott, this one is no exception. You do of course have to pay for the comfort but that should not come as a surprise to anyone if you go go for Marriott.
This one had very good service, large and very comfortable rooms.
Has very good security with no access to the floors above 3 without a room key.
Be aware that they charge 45 USD for valet parking overnight and the standard 17 USD for Wifi per day
If you plan to eat breakfast ensure you include that when you book the room.

Room Tip: Get a corner room high up for less noise and good view, XX70 provides an excellent choice.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Brattleboro, Vermont, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Attending the Philadelphia Museum of Art's Annual Craft Show, we decided to stay right downtown for ease of access to the convention center. When Stonie at the check-in desk understood this, he offered to put us in the part of the hotel which adjoins the convention center; thanks, Stonie!
Once in our very comfortable room (kingsize bed, couch, 2 chairs, large bathroom...this was more like a suite than just a room), we wanted to look up some information about local food on our iPhone, but couldn't get an internet connection. We called the front desk to inquire about a code that so many hotels seem to have so that their guests can enjoy wi-fi while in their establishments. Imagine our surprise when we were informed that it would cost us $12.95 for that little perk while we were there. Really, Marriott? With a premium price for your rooms you can't provide free wi-fi? That's just silly.
OK, how about getting my hotel-rooms-only fix of HGTV on the television (a guilty pleasure I look forward to in my infrequent visits to hotels)? Scrolling through all the channels, there was, alas, no HGTV. Had I been interested in watching 4 ESPN channels or the Military Channel (honestly, there is such a thing....who knew?....who cares?), I would have been in good company. That's not how I roll, though.
Our bed was really comfortable, the access to the walkable downtown was great (right next to the Reading Market and all that interesting and varied food), and our overall satisfaction was met. However, god (or the devil, depending on your perspective) is in the details, and asking people to pay for a to-be-taken-for-granted amenity (commonplace at much-less tonier establishments) is frankly, insulting. I think the staff know this, as well. Upon checking out, we mentioned how surprised we were that they would attempt to extract payment for wi-fi and the person checking us out did not even acknowledge our statement to that effect. Embarrassed? Hard to know; I certainly would be if I were an employee there and had to field such feedback from guests.
This shouldn't deter you from going there; just be aware that things we take for granted elsewhere are going to cost you at the Marriott Downtown, and that doesn't reflect well on them.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank ccm436
Portugal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

Coming from a terrible experience in another hotel in Washington DC, Marriott first seemed like paradise!
Feet back on earth…

The Hotel is in a very convenient situation, both close to the Historical part of Town and not far from museums and Rittenhouse square. Not the best neighborhood but we never felt unsafe. Lots of stores around, Macy’s just in front, nice Market next door and subway line 10 steps away. Staff a bit impersonal but efficient. Rooms were not huge but comfortable, with safe and large screen TV.

Sole issue we didn’t like was having to pay for Wifi, otherwise great stay!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
East Islip, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Marriot for the marathon, and the location was great. Walking distance to the start and finish and lots of restaurants fairly close by. We were greeted promptly, with friendly desk help and bell captain. We had to drop our bags off because the room wasn't ready, but we were early, so we expected that. We went for a walk and they called about 3:30 to let us know our room was ready.

The room was pretty comfortable, with a king sized bed, fluffy comforter and lots of pillows.

So my two complaints basically revolve around cleaning service. The shower wasnt completely clean, and there was soap scum and hair in one of the dishes of the shower- yuck. Then, we went to the marathon and came back- no cleaning service yet, no problem, we went out again- each time out and back greeted nicely by the cleaning lady, and when we came back at 3:50, the room was still not clean. It took until 5pm, at which point, we just asked for fresh towels, and dealt with the dirty shower, as we just wanted to relax at that point.

The value was decent, with the price for the weekend better than other recommended marathon hotels.

Overall, i'd recommend it, but might suggest to mgmt for better staffing allowing timely room service.

• Stayed November 2012
Hilton Head, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

this hotel is centrally located. The staff is extremely helpful, especially the concierge staff. Restaurants are within walking distance and the conference center is attached. Starbucks in the lobby - always a busy place! Internet fees are high.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room, away from an ice machine!
Stayed November 2012, traveled on business