“An Above Average Convention Hotel”

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
Ranked #42 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed October 21, 2012

As many have noted on here-the Downtown Philadelphia Marriott is a simply enormous hotel. I believe it is over 1,400 rooms all told. So that being said, yes its always hustling and bustling, and when crowded, will probably never seem like there is enough staff. None of this should come as a surprise to anyone booking this hotel at this point.

Overall, however, my impression during my recent stay was that the staff really tries to convey that they take each guest seriously, and strive to not make you feel like a number in the 1,000+ que of guests. That being said, were there some slip up's-of course. This is a classic example of where I wish Trip Advisor would permit a reviewer to give a "half star" rating, as the best rating for the Philadelphia Marriott would be a 3.5. Above average, but not really "Very Good" as the rating implies.

My room was one of the "Marquis Suite's," which I believe is just a fancy name for standard one bedroom suite. That being said however, the room was modern, tastefully decorated and everything where it should be/working fine, etc. My understanding is that rooms in the "Headhouse Tower" are newer/nicer, however, I had no complaints about the room's condition in the main building.

I do, however, have one significant issue, that I think most everyone should know about. The thermostat in my room was very clearly motion controlled, just like an outside security light. Consequently, despite setting the A/C at 72 degrees, every time I came back into the room, it was warm, because no one had been moving around to trigger the thermostat. This didn't become a significant problem until night. The thermostat for the Suite was located in the living room--where I WAS NOT sleeping. Consequently, every two hours I would wake up dripping with sweat and have to get up and go wave my arms at the thermostat to get it to turn the A/C on. Consequently, at night the system will never hold a constant temperature. No matter how far I turned it down, after a few hours I would wake up baking. This is a major interior design flaw that Marriott has to rectify. I understand the point of the prospect of energy savings from the motion controlled device-and it didn't significantly bother me when I came back to a warmish room as it would cool down quickly as soon as I entered. But, at night this became a nightmare.

1  Thank Shoeiejs
Write a ReviewReviews (3,363)

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stayed for one night using Marriott points with hubby. Excellent quick check in with Ross. Ross advised us of things to do in the local area, checked us in within about 5 minutes, gave us a King room on the 12th floor and even asked if we would need a late check out on Sunday. This hotel is in an absolutely perfect area for walking around to restaurants, historic area, Reading Market, museums, etc. Another reviewer noted some of the homelessness in the area, which I somewhat agree with, although I don't find it all that unusual in the heart of a large city, and didn't pay much attention to it. Weather was perfect for us to be walking around, so that really helped. Parking price is the usual high price for a city, but location to me is everything and I was happy to have parked the car and walked everywhere. The reason for my average rating however was the room really needed to be updated. We found the bed especially to be uncomfortable and the room temperature was limited to no lower than 65 degrees, which was actually a bit warm for me when sleeping. But that may be just me as I like it cooler at night when sleeping. Room, however, was very clean, and because of the location I would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed here on business, had a room next to a hospitality suite. I went to the front desk and they moved me to a different room and threw in a free breakfast, although I got up too early to take advantage of it (the restaurant opens at 6:30am). The room was a little small, but comfortable and clean (and the new one quiet).

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the 6th floor to avoid any convention functions.
1  Thank irbflyfish
Reviewed October 18, 2012

This hotel has an excellent location, near the convention center and the Reading Terminal Market. However, I did not feel the hotel was up to Marriott standards. On the plus side:
• Fantastic concierge service - excellent restaurant recommendations and booking
• Beds were very comfortable, with a mountain of soft pillows

I was disappointed by 3 things in the room that indicate a lack of up-keep
o Bathtub faucet coming out of Wall
o Patched holes in bathroom floor tiles
o Wallpaper bubbling in the bedroom

For the price, Marriott can do a lot better than this

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Riley73
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for two nights while attending a convention at the attached Philadelphia Convention Center. For convenience, if you're attending a convention there, it's super. The location is right next to the City Hall ... and there are dozens and dozens of restaurants within an easy walk.

My room, on the 9th floor, was very comfortable and clean. A typical Marriott. My room was ultra quiet, despite being in the middle of the central business district. I was able to rest well during the night on the super comfortable bed and do work during the day without disruption. The internet was high-speed and excellent.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The Starbuck's in the lobby a nice touch. Overall, a very good choice for business travel.

Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

A one night stop over, arriving late after a long flight etc etc. Huge room, clean well serviced, but the bed was hard and most uncomfortable,so really didn't sleep well, not an auspicious start. Room miles away from reception, so called a bell boy to deal with luggage when we left, mainly because we would never have found our way back to reception without him as a guide.

Booked breakfast in bedroom, priced on menu card at $14 each plus taxes & room service etc, my husband later let it slip that we had been charged $55 - felt very ripped off.

Had a long wait for valet service to bring car around, despite arranging beforehand.

Will not stay at a Marriott again, ever.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed at this Marriott for a convention which may be the reason for the costly price. The room was not worth the $400 a night price tag. However the room was clean and the staff were very helpful. The location was good as well, in walking distance of many Philly attractions.
Due to the mass amount of people staying they may have put me in an 'extra room', it did not have a microwave, coffee machine or hair dryer. The bed also came down from the wall, it was very low and not super comfortable. Definitely not worth the price.