“much better the second time around!”

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
Ranked #41 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I visited this hotel with my family after having a so-so experience the first time a year or so ago, and it was a vast improvement! Very nice stay -- comfortable rooms, nice pool, and 13 is a great restaurant! I'm not sure what happened the last time, but this time we ate there 4 times and every meal was excellent. Get the steak salad! No complaints, and now I can definitely recommend this hotel. They really kicked it up a notch. It is just a quick walk to the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall so very conveniently located if those are your plans. Starbucks in the lobby is always appreciated!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,342)

Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a conference that was being held there. This is nicer than a typical downtown Marriott, with a large and beautiful lobby area. Check-in was fast and friendly, the room was spacious and very clean, and the conference was very well managed. We had the chance to use the pool, located near the fitness area. It was not busy at the time but is quite large with lots of deck seating and an attentive attendant. We also had a few drinks in the lobby bar, which was modern and stylish. The hotel is located near so many of the area attractions that it made it easy for us to explore the neighborhood and find a great restaurant just minutes away. One tip: the hotel parking is quite expensive, but there are many city parking lots nearby for less than half the price.

Room Tip: The higher floors are quieter
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Marriott Hotels always seem to do a good job. This one was no exception. Plenty of amenities. In particular I enjoyed the indoor pool, fitness center and their in-house restaurant/lounge - Thirteen. My only disappointment was the fact that they charged for Wi-Fi. Even the small budget type hotels offer free Internet! This should be a Marriott included amenity. In any case, the hotel is walking distance from the main Philly attractions and the staff is very helpful in everything from arranging a shuttle to the airport to making some dining suggestions.

Room Tip: They do have a historic section/building which is part of the hotel. I didn't stay in that part...
Reviewed October 3, 2012

First time to Philly for a business meeting. Hotel is near a lot of goods and services. Hotel staff was VERY friendly, no complaints on service. Room was very clean and the room attendant did a great job. Bed linens were great, loved the comforter. Biggest complaints... The hotel shower head. I understand about water savings, but it took longer and I use more water trying to get the shampoo out of my hair. I don't like the fine shower heads. The desk lamp was centered on right side of desk, could not move it. Biggest complaint of all no Food Network channel. There must have been 16 ESPN or sports channels. Huge disappointment for my husband and I. A/C went to 65 and did not work great. Stupid complaint is the lotion stinks and smells like lemon, so bring your own.

Room Tip: If you want a view ask for one, ours was a roof top.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I spent four nights at this Marriott at the end of September. It is an extremely large, busy, and impersonal hotel (right next to the convention center), but the rooms are decent size and the location is excellent. There were many meetings going on when I stayed and the lobby was Grand Central and very noisy. The service is spotty. The first room they gave me was right next to the very noisy ice machine. I called the guest services line and the representative was indifferent and bordered on rude - she told that they had no other rooms available and when I said I would not stay four nights next to the ice machine and would change hotels, she said "fine." I went to the front desk and the clerk was extremely friendly and helpful and put me in a beautiful, large, and very quiet room in the Head House Tower across the street (connected by a sky bridge). The concierge lounge is rather tired (and small for the number of people circulating through it). Overall, a functional but busy and impersonal hotel that appears to cater to large groups, meetings, conventions, etc.

Room Tip: The Head House Tower has large, quiet rooms, but is separated from the main hotel by escalators and...
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Upon checkin for a conference, which my company pre-paid my rooms for, i was informed I needed to present the pre-pay credit card or use my own personal card. I did not have the card, as our office manager made the reservation, and the card was in his possession. They would not let me check in, unless I put one night on my card. I then contacted our office manager who after explaining situation to at least 4 people, faxed over signed charge forms to keep the billing on office card, as originally arragned and he informed me all was taken care of. Upon checkout, the one night stay was still on my personal card. Desk person told me there was nothing she could do, and to call back on Monday. I called on Monday to also be sure me and company were not double billed for same room. Was informed I needed office manager with original card to call. he did and after 3 days, we have still heard nothing back about the resolution. First time in my extensive business travel I have encountered this situation. The desk staff were not helpful at all, and made me feel I was inconveniencing them. I know this is a minor complaint but when you travel constantly for business and try to follow your company protocol, it was disappointing to face the situation, but even worse to have no help in resolving. On the positive, the rooms were typical Marriott, very clean, comfortable beds, nice amenities. Conference venue was nice. Location was great.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

I stayed here after having a horrible experience at another Philadelphia Hotel (see my other review). This hotel was in a great location and had amazingly helpful front desk staff. My room was amazing, with plenty of room, awesome bathroom/shower, etc.

Not much else to say about this hotel other than I would highly recommend staying here if you are ever in the downtown Philly area!