“Wasnt Impressed....at all”

Ranked #41 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Delaware
“Wasnt Impressed....at all”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2008

My BF and I wanted a quick getaway (we live in DE) for the Valentines weekend. Judging by the size of the hotel and the fact that it is attached to the PA Convention Center, we kind of figured it would be crowded and a little congested. After we checked in, we were told that our room was in the Deluxe Towers and were given specific directions on how to get there (around the construction and up the escalator). when we got around the construction, the up escalator was broken. you would think the people at the desk would know that and give you an alternate route. We were tired, I had on stilettos and it was quite a walk back to the desk so we called from our cell phone. Only to get a rude individual who was impatient and nasty. we decided to figure out how to get to our room on our own.

When we finally found the room, I was in shock when I opened the door and saw the windows. .....oh, there were barely any. Let me try to describe. There was a small circle with glass and it was kind of up high. The rest was just .....wall...... There were 3 of those circular windows, thats it. no way for light to come into the room. It was so depressing. The room was spacious and the beds were comfortable but everthing else was basic. Even the television was a small 19 inch inside of a big case. I was SHOCKED AND APALLED!!!!! These rooms go for $200 plus tax and this one was worth $89 - $99 per night. It was so depressing. We couldnt wait to get out.

The hotel itself is situated right in the heart of downtown. The Reading Terminal Market is right across the street and it is an awesome place to browse around and try different foods. Maggianos Italian Restaurant is across the street and many other stores to eat and shop.

If you want convenience, you could stay here but if you want convenience and a lovely hotel experience that makes you feel like you are on vacation. I would go some place else.

• Liked — The beds were comfortable
  • Disliked — The room, &hotel staff
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Yahna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (585)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2008

I live right outside of Philly and stayed at the Marriott Downtown for a comedy show at the Spectrum. I only stay at Marriotts and was again satisfied with the service and amenities. Ask for a corner room- it makes a hughe difference. There is nothing to not love about this hotel- and the location is amazing. Try the Melting Pot right across the street for dinner.

• Liked — Cleanliness, Location
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank philly614
Ithaca, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2008

I decided to surprise my BF for his birthday by taking him to Philly for a quick getaway. (1 night) He lives in NJ so the trip was a little over an hour. I booked the hotel a few weeks prior using my marriott reward points. I used to travel extensively for my job so I was familiar with the hotel and the area. I would always stay at this Marriott when in town.

As stated clearly on their website.....they are in the middle of lobby construction. I was fully prepared so I requested a high floor to be further away from the noise. Check-in and Valet went smoothly....I even chatted a bit with person checking me in about the plans for the new lobby. Before we left the desk to go up to our room they let us know the phones would be out of commission from 11am-3pm the next day. The room was decent and we were up on the 16th floor. Had a wonderful evening out and returned to the hotel about 1am.

At 7:30am.....the fire alarm goes off!! It didn't go off in the room but out in the hallway. There was beeping and then this obnoxious voice recording telling everyone to evacuate the building and not use the elevator. I started to get some clothes on but then noticed I didn't hear any other guests getting up or in the hallway. So, we called down to the front desk and asked if we need to evacuate.....they said no and it was a mistake/test that the alarm went off. Well....that alarm went off until 9am!!!!!!! I was beside myself! I finally was able to get back to sleep when housekeeping knocked on the door a half hour later to clean the room.....on a Sat!! I usually put the do not disturb sign on the door but I forgot. I let he know we would be out by Noon. By 10am the fire alarm was going off again!!!!

In any case, as I checked out I complained about the fire alarm and they seemed unphased by the fact that it went off. I got the run around that it was a test and it wasn't supposed to go off on a floor with guests. Blah, Blah, Blah....they comped my valet parking but that was about it. I didn't want to make too much of a scene because it was supposed to be a nice birthday weekend.

The time outside of the hotel was wonderful! We got back to NJ and I took a 5 hour nap...I was exhausted!

Stayed January 2008
3 Thank Mecca29
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2008

I stayed at the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown for four nights in January 2008 in order to attend a trade show at the Penn. Convention Ctr., which is connected to the Marriott by a skywalk. I had a "deluxe" room adjacent to a 980 sq ft. suite during my stay. For the purposes of this review, I will confine my comments to the room since very few travellers would be interested in a large suite costing well over $1,000 per night. The hotel is conveniently located two blocks to the east of City Hall and across the street from the Reading Terminal and Market. Their is a subway stop across the street from the hotel, and numerous city buses run along Market St. The hotel is an older property that is not quite up to the usual Marriott standards for a flagship downtown property. The main lobby is undergoing a renovation that will extend through the winter of '08. Many of the winding corridors need renovation, and I suspect that most of the complaints noted in other reviews are valid.

My room was spacious and well laid out. The king bed was extremely comfortable and the linens were clean - up to the usual Marriott quality. There was adequate storage room and better than usual lighting. The bathroom was large, although the tub was not comfortable for a six-ft tall man. The water pressure was adequate, and there was plenty of hot water in mid-January. The towels were plentiful but rather worn. The bathroom sink area was spacious, and the mirrored walls were useful.

My major complaint was that the carpet was very dirty. (I wear white socks in most hotel rooms because the carpets tend to be filthy.) The valet parking is also absurdly expensive at $36. a day plus tax! I parked in the garage across the street from the hotel's main entrance and paid $24. a day - but that included a substantial discount for having my parking validated immediately prior to my departure at the Reading Terminal Market for buying a $4. ice cream cone! That cone saved me $40!

I never ate in the hotel, except for one rather rubbery meal in the suite catered by the hotel's kitchen. I strongly recommend that you eat in Chinatown - three blocks to the northeast of the hotel or in the adjacent Reading Terminal Market (for breakfast or lunch only since it closes at 6 PM). My worst meal was at the exclusive Fork restaurant on Market Street! The food was awful but - mercifully - my company picked up the tab for my incredibly over-priced meal.

The Marriott's pool area did not look very inviting, but I did use the self-serve laundry facilities on the 8th. floor. All the washers and dryers appeared to be in working order.

I would recommend the Marriott for the business traveller and convention goer but would suggest another property for the casual traveller.

• Liked — Convenience
  • Disliked — High parking fees, dirty carpet
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank WorldTravellerMan
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2008

I stayed in the hotel the week of 14 Jan on business. The hotel is undergoing remodeling in the lobby (until mid Apr 2008), but it did not negatively effect my stay. I was not in my room during the day, only at night. My room was extremely quiet.
The internet connection was frustratingly slow at night.
The free work out facility was very nice, about 10 treadmills with TVs, a few ellipiticals and stationary bikes, free weights, and a large lap pool. I never waited for equipment even during prime time.
There are several restaurants very close by.
Overall the room was fine.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — slow, pricey internet access,
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank dallasite95
Wirral, Merseyside, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2008

stayed here for 2 nights in November. The location of hotel is ideal, across the road from the lovely Reading Terminal market, really nice place to wander around and sample all the different foods! Very comfortable room especially the bed (so much so we slept for a solid 12 hours)! Huge bathroom which was great after spending time in NY the week before with a tiny bathroom! Very quiet room which was great, and friendly housekeepers. Starbucks in the hotel too which was great tho there was coffee making facilities in your room. We ate one night in the Champions Bar which is also open to non residents. Very good "bar" style food and then only a short walk back to our room! We would definitely stay here again next time we visit Philly!

Stayed November 2007
1 Thank BibleP
Berwyn, PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2007

We live in the Philadelphia area and decided to do a nice weekend in town for my wife's birthday. Since I am a Platinum member, I decided to book at Marriott Downtown. The website clearly advised that there would be construction taking place in the lobby. I didn't think that meant that they would be jack hammering concrete and it would be so loud you would have to shout at the desk clerk to be understood.

The room was small and substandard for Marriott . It lacked both a refrigerator and safe. Other than shampoo and conditioner, the room lacked personal amenities. It was quiet though.

Because of lobby reconstruction, there was limited food and beverage service. The only place for a drink was the sports bar. It was long on noise and short on atmosphere. There is really no attempt at offering reasonable alternatives.

Another disappointment was that the concierge lounge was closed Saturday and Sunday. As a Platinum member I enjoy this perk. Access to this lounge for breakfast and cocktails was a deciding reason why I chose the Marriott over others in the city. Given all the construction, I am surprised it was closed.

We had a great time in Phila but the Marriott did not add to the experience. There are better places to stay at the same price point. If you are coming to Philadelphia, I would definitely recommend avoiding the the Downtown Marriott.

• Stayed December 2007