“Average, good location but not special”

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
Ranked #41 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed April 16, 2012

My room is quite small. The public space is ordinary. It is bustling and in a convenient spot. There isn't anything special or nice. Just solid. Eating places around here are plentiful. Near the Reading Terminal is nice too.

• Stayed: April 2012

Reviewed April 16, 2012

Spent this past Saturday night at the Marriott while in town to see a friend starring in Doubt at the Walnut Street Theatre. Checking went smoothly and the clerk worked feverishly to find me a king bed, which she did successfully. The room was clean, comfortable and cool. Drinks afterwards in the central bar delightful. Although the hotel was packed, there was no noise in the corridor and I had a great sleep. Breakfast the next day was quite good. I enjoyed staying this time much more than in1990 when I was there for a conference - I believe the hotel was rather new then, so they have worked out the quirks well!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We stayed for one night for a wedding. The location of the hotel is great, and it's easy to walk around the city. We had lunch at the Reading Terminal market, which is a "must see" if you're in the area. We also took the double-decker bus ride, which was fun. The hotel lobby is very nice & large, so it was a good meeting place for our group. Our room was nice, clean, and modern, but very small. No fridge and no free wi-fi were also a bummer. Parking at this hotel is outrageous ($45), so we parked for half that price a block down the street. Overall, the hotel was fine, but due to the high price I probably wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 15, 2012

This Marriott has been the "go to" property for most of my friends and colleagues.

Let's start with location - the hotel is centrally located to most of the tourist destinations that you want to go to. It's right next to The Reading Terminal, seriously just a few steps away. The lobby is pretty large, there's a lounge area downstairs, a restaurant that has decent food, fedex & starbucks all in the lobby of the hotel. The staff is super nice & will definitely go out of their way to help make you feel at home.

The rooms (I've only stayed in a King room) are pretty spacious & clean. The beds are super comfy as are the pillows. Stop by the concierge lounge for refreshments if you have access. They generally have a decent spread of desserts in the evening, also a decent breakfast in the morning. For such a big property, it's pretty calm and quiet once you get up to your room as most of the folks in the hotel are business travelers.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Natasha A
Reviewed April 14, 2012

I stayed here for one night and it was a pleasant experience. I was able to check in an hour early. The room was typical Marriott. The location was ideal. I walked from there to South Street and then took a cab back for $6 . I would not drive there again because valet was $45 a night. The hotel bar is huge and the drinks were good and reasonable priced. My highlight...Starbucks in the lobby!

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank SmoothGem13
Reviewed April 13, 2012

This is the first time I review a hotel on trip advisor but, since I always use it as a reference decided its about time. I stayed at the Marriot during spring break with my husband and 4 kids. I got it through Priceline for $ 92 w/ tax a night for 4 nights.1st location is great close to any tourist spot you need to get to. Right outside the door is "The Reading Terminal", a historical building with many food vendors and a few other things . This is a must. Inside you can take an escalator down to the Galleria or walk into the convention center. The lobby is very large and nice check in and check out was a breeze I requested a room away from the elevator , a fridge, and a roll away bed no problem. The staff was very nice. A shout out to Ben the bell hop. It was quiet a walk to the room because there are two buildings. The room had double beds & the roll away & there was still enough room to walk around 1st thing I did was check for bed bugs none found mattress was clean. The bed was comfortable a medium firm mattress & lots of pillows and nice bedding. Bathroom was big but nothing special. Iam a neat freak & didn't see anything to complain about. Every night my kids went to the pool. It stays open until 11 & the gym is 24 hrs. The gym faces the pool so I got to get a workout while watching my kids in the pool. We didn't use their parking because it was too much for $41 a day. There was a large church convention & hotel was full but, it was still quiet and everything ran smooth.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Headstower are slightly larger . We had to change rooms last 2 days. Sorry didn't t...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank NisreenM
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I met my boyfriend in Philly at the tail end of him doing a short work stint over there, decided to get him out of the flea bag hotel his company put him in and do a nice long weekend at the Marriott. I love the Marriot company in general....they have a hotel for every price point, the Residence Inns, Courtyards, all are great. The Philly one is clean, huge HUGE (tons of conference rooms for venues, etc) and is centrally located. We got some deal where you get champagne and chocolate covered strawberries upon checking in, something having to do with a deal for couples, of course, and it made it a little more fun and silly for us. Check to see if they have other great deals like this! We did room service for breakfast (typical hotel food, nothing amazing but good standards). The bed was awesome, it was also HUGE and so comfy. Great linens!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple