“Excellent Service & Concierge Lounge-Enjoyed Restaurant Week!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
Ranked #41 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Basseterre, St. Kitts
“Excellent Service & Concierge Lounge-Enjoyed Restaurant Week!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2012

The Philadelphia Marriott Downtown is conveniently located to major attractions, excellent restaurants in the heart of the city. A rather easy and fixed price ($28.00/single and $29.50) for two cab ride from the airport. Consider sharing a cab if that works for you! There is an Elite Check-In counter that is staffed late afternoon to early evening and check-in was fast. The rooms are clean, and set up nicely for working. I used the concierge service several times downstairs to book last minute reservations or get a suggestion and they were extremely helpful and knowlegeable. The Concierge Lounge is one of the larger in the Marriott system and even with a fairly full hotel and a busy lounge, they did a nice job of keeping the food re-stocked and the area clean. Great workout facilities, but a bit crowded at 6:30 a.m....consider a bit earlier or later and it was almost empty in mid-morning/mid-afternoon. This is/was Restaurant Week in Philadelphia and the highlight of many good meals was at El Vez, a Mexican restaurant within 2 blocks of the Marriott. Very different than most Mexican restaurants, the 4 course meal they offered @$35.00 was an outstanding value and delicious. A busy place, but the Marriott Concierge service got us a table within 30 minutes of my request. Enjoy the Marriott and the local restaurants.

Room Tip: If you have elite status ask for an upgraded concierge room...no additional cost and the little amen...
1 Thank William S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2012

I stayed here for a business trip a couple of weeks ago for three nights. Upon arrival in the room there was a pile of kleenexes on top of the dispenser and a random pill setting on the bathroom counter. Unfortunately, I wasn't as brave as Neo in the Matrix, and decided not to take the red pill and instead threw it away.

Annoying things about the room:
-I guess it was too much trouble for housekeeping to actually put kleenexes IN the dispenser each day, and instead left them on top of it.
-Thin/Not enough sheets to make me feel like I'm in a bed
-Pillows that seem to be oddly smaller than normal, stacked up against giant pillows. And on my third day there, housekeeping threw my big pillows in the closet! And a random chocolate was on the bed! Yay, but it was the only day I got one :(.
-The TV didn't work, but I didn't use it until my last night there and didn't feel like it was worth it to call maintenance at that point.
-No "do not disturb" signs were in the room, had to borrow some from someone else that had three of them for some reason.
-Towels felt too cheap and thin to be in a Marriott.

General Issues:

-I could not for the life of me print out my boarding passes for the flight home from any computer on the entire premises that I tried (4 computers).
-The "concierge room" for elite members snacks and breakfast were kind of lame, but I generally feel that way about most Marriott concierge rooms considering you have to be a pretty hardcore traveler to even get in.
- And why did it seem to take forever to get the rental car from valet every time?

Okay, enough of the bad stuff, and onto the good.

Good location, heck great location right in the middle of downtown. AWESOME staff. Probably one of the most friendly and helpful group of hotel employees I've ever seen. One guy that I recognized earlier even tried to help me with the boarding pass issue even though he was off the clock!

Even though this place had some odd, slightly annoying quirks, I'd still recommend it. I really wanted to give 4 or 5 stars, but due to the weird housekeeping issues I had to dock it to 3.

1 Thank the_ambler_rambler
Mahopac, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

Overall, this hotel was very nice. Clean, comfortable, was connected to the convention center, which is why we stayed there. We had a convention to go to and came in the day before. On the morning of, the line for check-in must have been 100 deep!! It ran all the way through the lobby and went out the other doors on the NEXT block over!! Luckily we checked in the day before! Later that day I went to the frontdesk worrying about getting our car out of valet parking the next day knowing everyone from the convention would be leaving almost the same time. The clerk assured me they have experience in that and it would only be a short wait for my car. Well, we left the convention an hour early to make sure we could get out ok. I was the 5th person on line and gave my ticket to the valet desk and was told about 10-15 minutes. Well, the convention let out and an HOUR later we had to end up yelling at the employees that we were the 5th one here and people are comming and going!!!! WTF?!? We even put our luggage in our car that morning after checkout (with a valet escort to our car) because we didn't want to wait for our luggage, then our car. They were telling us that our car was buried and had to get other cars out 1st. We knew where our car was and knew this was a lie!!! For a hotel connected to a convention center, you would think they would have a system that was ok for their customers!!! For this reason, if we have to stay again here for next years convention, we will defiantly park in the self park next door!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
McKinney, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2012

This Marriott is well kept, lobby is large and well appointed. There is a loung and a separate restaurant. I didn't visit the lounge but ate in the restaurant bar several times. The staff ther is very friendly and food quality is good. The steaks aren't prime so set your expectations accordingly. The bar has a good selection of draft beers, I especially enjoyed the Long Trail IPA.

Rooms are clean with white linens and down comforters. The workspace in the room is spacious and comfortable. Television service is very nice with on demand programs and an interactive program guide.

The executive lounge is a bit small but the breakfast is very good. They have fresh fruit, an assortment of muffins, bagels, yogurt, eggs and bacon. Of course they have fresh coffee and juice. It's a great way to kick start your morning.

There is an exercise room and indoor lap pool but I didn't visit them so I can't comment further on them.

This hotel is about 1 block away from the town hall building that marks center city. There are many restaurants around within walking distance including Maggiano's, Hard Rock, Chili's, McKormick & Schmick and a few others I can't remember.

Room rates are reasonable but expect to pay dearly for parking. The hotel only offers Valet although there is a parking garage across the street that is a bit cheap.

This has become my favorite place to stay in Philly.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor to get away from the street noise.
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2012

Stayed here for a convention in mid-January. I was very impressed with this hotel. The service was excellent, my room was clean, comfortable, and well-decorated, and the location is perfect.
I was able to walk to the convention center via a bridge so I didn't have to go outside to get to my convention which was very convenient. The hotel is located very close to Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. It is also close to Reading Terminal Market and other great places to eat. There was public transportation all around to take you other places but I never used it.
I can't think of any complaints about this property. Great stay!

1 Thank FLCouple
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

Just stayed at the Marriott for a large convention Jan 13-15 weekend. After a number of years in Baltimore, we returned in Philadelphia. Aside from geography and being able to go back to the Reading Market for lunch, what I noticed most was the quality of the service we received vs. the Hilton that is connected to the Baltimore Convention Center. Consistently, every single individual I encountered provided really exceptional service. They were courteous, polite, friendly and helpful -- from front desk staff, to security personnel, to room service staff encountered in a hallway, to lobby ambassadors providing directions to meeting rooms, etc.

To boot, rooms were very clean and quiet, and beds were comfortable.

My only complaint was that I couldn't find the in-room coffee maker! And, for large conventions such as this, it might be helpful to set up Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts coffee carts as the lines were incredibly long each morning.

1 Thank Bobeana
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

We have been to Philadelphia a number of times and without a doubt our favorite is the Marriott Downtown. We were lucky enough to be at this hotel on our first trip to Philadelphia and the location could not be better. Is you want to take in the sights, you can walk to all of the site you will most likely want to see. The Reading Terminal in about two blocks away and will provide you with plenty of tempting sandwiches, treats and other items you may find you want live without in one of their many small and speciality stores.

The hotel is often booked so book early and the price is well within line for the area. We have had to stay at another Marriott property in the same neighborhood and prefer the Marriott Downtown without a doubt. THey have recently gone through a remodel and was told as they remodeled the various floors several rooms were not available. Hopefully this wil improve with the renovations completed and the full service and lovely hotel will meet your every need.

Room Tip: HIgher floor provides a nice view
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family