“Not Business Traveler Friendly”

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
Ranked #42 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed July 13, 2011

Beware: the "business center" is actually a FedEx Offfice branch that charges .25/minute for computer use. This Marriott does not actually offer in-house business services beyond limited fax and copies at the front desk.

Perhaps large business groups are able to make deals with the hotel for business services, but if you're an individual business traveler bring your laptop, buy your own wi-fi and bring a portable printer because that's the only way you'll be able to get anything done.

When I complained to the front desk about the misleading description on their website and in-room information I was told that this material doesn't state that their business center is "free." I will not be staying at the Marriott again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,361)

Reviewed July 12, 2011

I travel to Philly regularly and am a repeat guest of the Marriott. Their recent remodel is wonderful! Public areas, hallways, rooms, baths and convention facilities are top notch. All employees I encountered were professional and friendly. Got a great deal on price line for $90.00 however would totally go back and spend more for such a positive experience...

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank bowman716
Reviewed July 8, 2011

The hotel was located in a very good part of the city and it was pleasing to look at.The hotel is well presented and looks good on the first day. The second day we were out for over 5 hours and came back about 3:30 pm, the room had not been cleaned i had to go to the front desk and we waited in the lobby while room was cleaned for over an hour. The third day the same thing happened - the Front desk manager gave us a voucher for $40 to appease us. We waited another hour for the room to be cleaned.I appreciated the manager's gesture but I would rather have had a cleaned room. That incident colored everything else on that trip. The quality of the bedding in the room left much to be desired the mattress must have been in use for a lot of years. It was kind of compress and looked dirty when the sheet lifted. The comforter was dinghy looking and we were worried about contracting germs.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Logic_Constructor
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Great Hotel in a very convenient location within walking distance of many attractions and only a block from the train station (which connects to the airport). Our room was very nice and very clean. You are right in the city so in my opinion late evening strolls are not a good idea but overall the area is safe and if you are looking to hit all the tourist attractions you probably could not find a better spot.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 7, 2011

Stayed for one night for business. The lobby for this hotel is really large and beautiful. The center fountain area is a very soothing place to do some work. Room was extremely clean and comfortable, which I would expect from a Marriott. Location was great for me, within walking distance of my client. Lots of restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 5, 2011

After a $30+ ride from the airport, (you really don't want to pay the $$ to park a vehicle here)we had a very smooth check in to this nice and newly renovated hotel. (Our room was one of the recently renovated). A bellman was ready to go and had us situated in our room quickly. The vanity is inside the nicely done bathroom. As we have found with many large hotels (particularly Marriotts), it doesn't seem like there is really adequate personal temperature control. We kept the drapes closed in the afternoons but could never get the room to the cool temp we like for sleeping. The beds did not seem to be "new" and were in fact creaky even when just turning over in the night. Our pillows had no loft but at least they were better than foam neck breakers. There seemed to be issues at the Concierge desk. The hotel was full many nights while we were there but the desk was never fully staffed. It seemed like available check in staff were trying to do double duty. Compared to other large city Concierge desks, it was definitely lacking and not what is expected. The temporary Concierge lounge seemed to be working fine and it appeared the new one is almost ready. The staff in the Concierge lounge were great - morning and night. One night we were in there with a child and they brought several selections of ice cream to our table. The gentleman and lady (Ray - her name) were very friendly and made us welcome. The cleaning staff were also accomodating and friendly. Reading Terminal (just across the street) is great for a wide selections of food choices in a fairly quick manner. There is a nearby indoor mall area for air conditioned shopping or just relief from the heat and humidity. We walked several times to Independence Hall area as well as Penn's Landing. The double decker/trolley tour was well worth the price and can be booked right outside the hotel. I would be glad to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Takemeaway79
Reviewed July 5, 2011

Initially, I wasn't so sure about the location - but it turned out to be convenient afterall.
We got a pretty spacious corner room in a high floor so had a pretty nice view of the Delaware River and northeast part of Philly. Everything looked new and clean which we loved.
We used the gym - which was nice. It's connected to the pool area (being a holiday weekend, filled with kids). The pool attendant had an attitude which I didn't appreciate - when I walked in - she followed me to the gym area - didn't explain anything as she gestered me to come back with her and as if I'd done something wrong so I asked "oh sorry, did I need to sign in?" by showing her my room key. Only then she claimed that she didn't hear it beep so thought I'd just walked in- didn't apologize for making me feel like a criminal in front of other guests. I don't know how one would do that given you need the room key to get in (note she was on the phone when I walked in - I actually waved hello to her but she ignored me). Next day, there was no pool attendant, there were kids running about with wet feet trying to use the gym equipment/treadmill. I tried to tell them that it's dangerous to use the equipments without proper shoes. but they ignored so I had to use the phone to ask for an attendant to come. This was disappointing to me - that in such a nice place - there were no proper supervision. In other hotels i've been to, the attendants are more polite and actually there when supervision is required. It's a shame because everything else about our experience in the hotel including the service at the front desk was very good. Maybe they have a different training/hiring procedure from the front desk to the pool attendant. otherwise I would come back and recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple