“great hotel great location would go back”

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
Ranked #40 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“great hotel great location would go back”
Reviewed June 5, 2011

Got a great price through Priceline for Saturday June 4 (about $80 with taxes). Our room was ready at 9:00AM on Saturday and was one of the reburbished rooms. Flat screen TV, clean room and even though it was near the elevators and the ice machine was quite. Hotel is centrally located. I would definitely go back .

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mynameisnotimportant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (602)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2011

“If you like bad service this is the place to stay”

My 9:30am check-in went well and I was directed to a refurbished room on the 9th floor (with a cheery "don´t forget your luggage sir" - i.e. we are not going to take it to your room for you.

Breakfast: only tried the breakfast buffet one of four mornings during my stay. Cold food and pretty average service.

Minibar: What minibar!

Laundry: "sorry - you need to have it in by 8:30am to get it back the same day", "oh I am not sure why we haven´t returned it"... I eventually got my laundry back on the day I left.

Newspaper: Only delievered two out of the four mornings I stayed here.

Noise: Lots of people running up and down the corridor making a lot of noise until 2:30am on Saturday morning.

Maid Service: Came in to the room three times on Saturday morning (the first at 8am) despite a do not disturb sign on the door. On the third occassion, when I compained and told the maid that it was totally unreasonable someone should knock or come in to the room three times despite the sign, she left and started grumbling very loudly to her colleague in the corridor that it wan't her fault and that I ought to have checked out 20 minutes ago (in fact I had arranged a late check-out).

Late Check-Out: I had arranged a 3pm check-out but my key card would not let me back in to the room at 2:50pm. The security guard who happened to pass by was very helpful and let me in.

If you can stay somewhere else - do!

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank Adventura1405
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I recently attended "Lighfair" an annual trade show for the Lighting industry, booking quite late I found the only hotel with vacancies was the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, I duly booked and later read the Tripadvisor comments which I have to say were less than complimentary. However with what seemed like no alternative I stuck with my booking. On arrival from UK I received a warm welcome at reception, with no delay in line, the young lady who checked me in even collecting from engineering, a electrical adaptor to enable me to recharge my laptop, phone etc... ( after I forgot my own). I was given a room on the 7th floor with view of the City Hall & Maceys which I found to be recently refurbished and in excellent shape. The Concierge found me details of the local Harley Store, and also their outlet details at the airport. In the evening he even directed us to a local cafe famous for its Philly Cheese Steaks, " Sonny's" turned out to be a real treat with the genuine article being served up. The following day my colleague staying elsewhere in the city , arrived and had forgotten his Blackberry charger, another visit to the Concierge provided him with a charger, ( the concierges own which she told him to keep until the end of his trip). All this genuine service in addition to the delightful waitress's in the Lobby bar made for a truly pleasant and memorable stay. I would heartily recommend this hotel for its facilities, decor, breakfasts,convenience, and down right old fashioned service.

Room Tip: My room 714 was quiet, overlooking City Hall
Manassas, VA
Reviewed May 27, 2011

I recently finished a 3 night stay here. I was lucky to get one of the newly renovated rooms, the Marriott bedding and flat screen, etc. I had a great stay. The concierge lounge is under renovation so they moved it to the second floor in a restaurant that is now closed.

Pros: Updated rooms (if you get one), great service, especially at the front desk and lounge, location, right on the subway line for a quick trip anywhere. Tons of restaurants just a few blocks in any direction.

Cons: Lobby, which others have raved about, seems out of date to me. There is little space to just sit and relax.

I would certainly return on a future business trip or if I was visiting with my family.

1 Thank david10225
Angmering, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 23, 2011

Located next to city hall and reading market. Some rooms have been updated but ours still had a plug that did not work. (It is one of my bug bears). Good service from most staff. The restuarant was very good.

Room Tip: ask for an updated room
1 Thank HbsLittlehampton
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed May 22, 2011

We were in town for a graduation and the staff was exceptional. Everyone in our group was very impressed with customer service at this property. Included in our group were several road warriors who travel frequently so this was no easy feat. Its location cannot be beat, easy access to attractions, Reading Terminal Market, transportation and shopping. This is our place to stay in Philadelphia!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Boynton Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 11, 2011

I've never been to Philly before but was sent there for a three day stay for business last month. I usually don't give all excellent ratings but I could not find any flaws with this Marriott.
The hotel is located on Market Street which is the main business district, financial, legal etc. If you have time, the Historic area, China Town, parks and lovely neighborhoods are all in walking distance. The hotel lobby is business attire and the staff professional. The rooms are spacious, comfortable, quiet and clean.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business