Courtyard by Marriott Philadelphia Downtown
Agoda.com
$229
Orbitz.com
1,119 results
All reviewsreading terminal marketgreat locationacross the streetconvention centerhistoric buildingwithin walking distancevalet parkingdunkin donutsshort walkfront desk staffliberty bellcentral locationbeautiful hotelwould definitely stay here againroom was spaciousroom keyearly check
Reviewed August 8, 2014

This hotel has history while providing a good level of amenities. The room was comfortable (mayb e a bit old fashioned, but this might be seen as part of the historic flavor of the place) and clean, quiet and provided with all the necessary for my stay. I liked the big bed, while liking less the noisy AC that I had to turn off. Stunning view from my window, and the-always-useful Starbucks for a quick snack next to the lobby were a plus. Wi-fi worked perfectly, and receptionists were very kind and professional. Could not ask for more.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Canzonedelbosco
David K, Assistant General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Philadelphia Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2014

Dear Canzonedelbosco,

We are pleased that you enjoyed our outstanding historic hotel and amenities. Like yourself, our guests frequently comment on how wonderful it is to have Starbucks coffee available right in our lobby. Thank you for your positive comments about our staff, our guests tell us that our staff provides efficient, friendly, and caring service. We look forward to your staying with us again in the near future.

Reviewed August 8, 2014

This hotel is located right across the street from city hall. We had a beautiful view of City Hall, although another guest commented that they had a view of a wall. Our room number was 604; it seems that anything from 01 to 09 would have a similar view. So it may be a good idea to ask about this if you care about the view.
The front desk staff were very pleasant and helpful.
We ate at the restaurant for breakfast twice, and the food was good. The server was very helpful: It was my 12 year old daughter and me, and I only wanted a bowl of oatmeal, rather than pay $18 for the full buffet. She told us that she could charge for a single item, and offer my daughter a kid's priced buffet. So what I thought would be a very expensive breakfast, turned out to be quite reasonable.
The hotel offers a really nice fitness center, small indoor pool and a whirlpool hot tub. The hot tub is situated in a corner with full length windows that provide a nice view. The pool, as mentioned, is small, but nice for kids.
The building is the old City Hall Annex, and they did a nice job combining contemporary style and amenities, while preserving a lot of the historic architectural charm.
Location wise, you are in the center of everything, and can walk to just about any attraction that you want to see. Reading Terminal Market is just a block away, the Franklin Institute is walking distance, as is Independence Hall.
For a downtown location, we also found the hotel to be fairly quiet.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of City Hall.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Dear TMRtraveler,

We are pleased to hear that you and your daughter enjoyed your visit to Philadelphia and your stay at Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown. As you experienced, our guest frequently comment about our outstanding location, excellent facilities, and friendly staff. We do have a unique hotel, with our building dating from 1926, but having been completed modernized when converted to a hotel, and having receiving a customized renovation earlier this year. We do hope that you will stay with us again soon.

Reviewed August 7, 2014

I spent a night at the Courtyard in August 2014. Even though the lobby looks average and the front desk is a bit slow, the room I stayed was unexpectedly nice. It looks recently renovated, was very clean and roomy. I've also stayed at Ritz Carlton right across the street from the Courtyard. Personally, room for room, I think the Courtyard is better than Ritz Carlton. (The fitness center is pretty nice too.)

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear yjbunny,

Thank you for staying with us at Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown. You are correct that our hotel recently received a complete rooms renovation. In fact, we have a customized decor which you will find in no other hotel of any brand to complement our unique historic building. We are pleased that you enjoyed our fitness center. While we pride ourselves on having one of the best fitness centers in all of Philadelphia's hotels, we do plan to replace all equipment by year end to ensure that we maintain this leadership. We do hope that you will stay with us again soon.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

I spent three nights at the Courtyard Marriott Philadelphia in April 2014. It was my first stay at a Courtyard and I enjoyed it so much that I've made it my default hotel of choice when traveling.

Although situated in a historic building, you'd never know the hotel wasn't brand new due to the quality of the hotel's decor, which in my room was ultra chic and stylish.

The hotel honored my two sole requests: A view of City Hall and a high-floor room. I was put on the 14th floor. The view of City Hall and the surrounding area was breathtaking. I heard no traffic or hotel noises at all in my room.

Although I didn't utilize many of the hotel's services (i.e. gym, parking, etc.), I did order room service. The food came from a local Chili's restaurant and it was fast, convenient and delicious.

I only had two issues during my stay. The curtain partially fell off of its track right where the curtain pull was. Although I could still open and close the curtains, it was slightly difficult due to the scrunching of the falling curtain fabric.

Also, two bright spotlights that illuminated the top of the hotel building were situated on a ledge outside of my hotel window, angled up toward the building. The lights came on at dusk and lit my room fairly well, making it difficult to look outside without needing sunglasses. However, the lights did turn off by about 9 p.m., so it wasn't a nuisance for sleeping at all. I slept with the curtains wide open and it was dark.

Overall, my stay was pleasant and relaxing. The minor issues I faced were nothing big in the grand scheme of things. I recommend the hotel to all visiting downtown Philadelphia and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 14th floor have building-illuminating spotlights that face the hotel room windows at dusk.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank GuitarGuy7

Dear GuitarGuy7,

We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. Like yourself, our guests frequently comment about our outstanding location, and our views of the city. We have the unique combination of an historic building from 1926 which was completely modernized in 1999 and completely renovated with a unique design earlier this year. We do hope that you will stay with us again soon so that you can take advantage of all of our amenities as well as all the great things Center City Philadelphia has to offer.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

I just stayed at the Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown on business, and enjoyed my stay. It's a no-nonsense well-run hotel, the grand building has got history and character and is wonderfully centrally located, and nicely renovated without losing its character, -- used to be the Annex of City hall, built in 1926. Think big halls, stone, brass.

Special mention to the staff at the front desk helpful and pleasant. Special thanks to Jerson who printed my boarding pass with a smile, kept my luggage in the cloakroom etc. and to Joe who suggested that if I paid an extra $ 20 a night I would get a room on the 14th floor in the front of the building a great view on City Hall and the city. I said yes, and it was worth it.
There isn't much to do in the hotel aside from a cafe downstairs which is fine but nothing special. I didn't try the gym or the pool. As a female travelling alone, I should add that I felt safe in and around the hotel, and would recommend it to others.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Annabelle G

Dear Annabelle G,

Thank you for staying with us at Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Like yourself, our guests frequently comment about our friendly staff, and we appreciate your comments about Jerson and Joe. As you discovered, our upgraded rooms with outstanding views provide a great value. We do hope that you will return to Philadelphia soon and once again choose Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown.