“Beautiful Historic Hotel”

Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown
Ranked #14 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 5, 2014

This hotel has a very modern updated look for a Historic Hotel. The room was very nice and bathroom just as nice. Nicely located to a lot of attractions. The hotel staff was very nice from doorman, the check in. Its a Courtyard...so the Courtyard does not have room service.....but they use "Chilis" . We did room service 1 time and the food and delivery went perfect dealing with Chilis. There is a Starbucks in the hotel along with a bar and restaurant The Reading Market is right across the street and so is Macy's. Also close is a convenience store and a Dunkin Donuts. We will return again.!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed August 5, 2014

We have stayed in a lot of Marriott Courtyard properties in our travels and we've always had very good experiences with them regarding the staff and level of service. Most of the ones we've stayed at though felt more like a toned down, more casual Marriott experience suited to more budget conscious travelers - both families and business travelers alike. However, this one did not present that same experience. We felt like we were staying in an upscale Marriott metropolitan hotel. Bravo Marriott for not toning down the experience even with your other property basically across the street. I've had the pleasure of staying at the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown a couple of years ago and I think this property was more than comparable.

CHECK IN: We got there early and we were spending the entire day at an event nearby. We did pre-registration with the front desk clerk and she called us on our cell to let us know when the room was ready. No issues at all with the check in process when we got there. Speedy, efficient and pleasant.

ROOM: We had a room on the 9th floor overlooking Penn Square. The room was clean and the decor was very upscale. The bed was very comfortable. The only issue we had here was that there was not a fresh roll of toilet paper when we arrived and once we used what was there, there was no replacement roll to be found in the room. Luckily, we didn't run into that issue until we were ready for checkout the next morning. I'm sure if we needed it prior to that however, housekeeping would have been able to correct this in a hurry.

FOOD: We didn't use the restaurant, but we did have a drink at the bar while waiting for others in our party to be ready for dinner. Service was good and as a craft beer drinker I was pleased to see some decent beers on tap.

LOCATION: The location is outstanding. Our event had a free shuttle that was located a couple of blocks away which was easy to take advantage of. We also walked to dinner two or three blocks away near restaurant row. Lots of options. We also ate breakfast and shopped around a bit in the Reading Terminal Market which was very close.

PARKING: Valet parking is expensive - $42 a day. There is no lot associated with the hotels. They park at one of the garages nearby and they charge you for the service. Less than half a block away and within eye shot of the front door there is a parking garage for $30 a day. We chose that option.

Overall, we had a great stay at this property and I wouldn't hesitate using it again for a stay in the city. This has to be one of the best, if not the best Courtyard property in the chain. At least that we've experienced.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2014

The first room we were given had a better view (city facing) but the door lock was broken. The second room was just fine though and we didn't look out the window much anyway.

Everything was clean and fairly new (recently remodeled).

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2014

-Very friendly, accommodating front desk staff
-Clean, updated decor room
-Room was small, but I changed my room type at check in, so it could be that mine was what was available last minute (it was near the end of the hall, at the stairs)
- walking distance to Independence Park, Reading Market (across the street), many other restaurants, convenience stores
- valet parking is $50/ day, and they temporarily lost my car. Really, they couldn't find it for about 1/2 hour.
- elevators at both sides of the building, make it more convenient to get to your room
- very close to convention center
- many panhandlers in the area, the tourists probably attract them

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank MominVA
Reviewed July 30, 2014

I would first like to say that this location really do know how to take care of their Elite members, as I was upgraded to a great corner room with a fantastic view. The hotel is in a great location near many things, and within walking distance of shopping and restaurants (mostly medium cost locations) and you are one block away from the Reading Market which is full of eating choices (closes at 6pm) the hotel staff is very accommodating and helpful. The only negative I could say would be you are in a city and therefore the noise maybe a little too much for those that are light sleepers (would suggest ear plugs) as this hotel is worth a little discomfort. The bed was very comfortable and the shower had great pressure (was on the 14th floor). There is a Starbucks located inside the hotel and a restaurant (didnt try it) there is a Subway just outside the door in the Residence Inn, just outside the back door is a Chili's so one could dine on the cheap, also a 7-11 in the same area for sodas and other smaller snacks. I would come back to this location again.

Room Tip: The front of the hotel has more historic views.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank heumanntouch
Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

I stay here mainly because it is Center City and easy to get to from the train AND it is a Marriott property. Each time I have had impeccably clean rooms, and great service from the front desk. The restaurant staff and bar could use a bit of an overhaul from a customer service perspective, but overall, not bad.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank CPhi74
Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here overnight on July 19th. Upon arriving, it was quite difficult to utilize the valet parking we paid for, as a bus was parked directly in front of hotel, and we had to endure angry philly traffic as we were stopped in a lane waiting to see a valet attendant.
The hotel itself looks rather lovely... I enjoyed the decor and furniture layout in the rooms. The bathroom had a shower head that allowed you to adjust the stream. The bathroom did however have signs implying they "go green" and basically asking you to keep and reuse your towels (tho the signs did state they will glady bring you more). Our room came equipped with the smallest amount of amenities I've ever seen....enough soap, shampoo, etc for one use. The coffee maker came with 2 paper cups and maybe 4 sugars and 2 creamers. Cheap much? There were also no OTHER cups or glasses. I asked the lady at the front desk where I could get wine or drink glasses, and she said 'at the restaurant'. I said 'isn't it closed?' (It was close to 2am, and I knew it was closed) She said no. I went....it was, of course, closed. She just didn't care about customer service....I work at a hotel and our front desk staff would go GET you a glass.
I think my biggest gripe is that I am a smoker. Hotel is non smoking, fine, whatever. But there is absolutely NO where to sit outside. The only place to enjoy sitting outside of this hotel is right out front. There is ONE measly little table with 2 chairs...and the entire night it, was occupied by a bum. As I sat on the ground outside for an hour to smoke and use my phone, I was pestered by mutiple bums. There is no security. Its not safe. You'd think a hotel like this would as least have the bum sleeping for hours on their outside furniture removed. Nope. So the bum ueed the furniture and I paid and sat on the ground.
The beds are crazy comfortable, and it's in an great location... right by reading terminal market, and in walking distance to a lot of great restaurants.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Christina S
David K, Assistant General Manager at Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

Dear Christina S,
Thank you very much for staying with us at Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown. We appreciate your positive comments about our excellent facilities and outstanding location, with easy access to all the great things which Philadelphia has to offer. We were disappointed to learn of some of the challenges which you had, I assure you that this is not our normal standard as we have a long tradition of providing excellence in service. We do take your comments very seriously and will incorporate them in our ongoing improvements to provide the best possible services and amenities to our guests.