“Convenient Location, the rest is what you make it!”

aloft Philadelphia Airport
Ranked #58 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed October 8, 2010

This hotel has gone down a little in the last two years but don't get me wrong...the setup is exactly like the pictures! I had a number of people come up from Baltimore & spoke with Danielle who was absolutely great! Knowing it was my birthday, she even gave me a complimentary card that entitled me to a free drink & snack at the wxyz bar in the hotel!

The pool are was less to be desired. We went when the weather was in the mid-upper 60s and the room looked really humid & sweaty..even with no one in there. It reminded you of one of those community pools that you would think twice before swimming in. The outside lounge area was tastefully decorated however, it was raining and I noticed the area was uncovered..which meant mildewy sofa cushions, etc.

Overall the customer service was spectacular! Rooms looked just like they do in the hotel pictures. I liked the fact that they had wireless, a pool table, board games, etc for guests as well.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 18, 2010

Other reviewers call this edgy, funky- it is definitely different from the average hotel in its reasonable price range, but I was not all that impressed. I did find both the staff members I encountered absolutely wonderful, very solicitous, (and anyway I am always wary of reviews that target a single staff member.) The lobby/ bar area is lively and fun but the techno-pop music is blasting so loud there and in the elevator that it is quite distracting. Much of the decor was sort of corny in its self- conscious hyper- modern appearance, such as the quilted pads hanging on the elevator walls like you would see in a freight elevator. The hall and room decor seemed a cross between a dorm and a doctor's office (but not an upscale one.) Personally the hyper-- modern appearance with no interesting touches (other than a few brightly striped accents) seemed sterile and depressing to me.The furniture was dorm-style built in laminated cube stuff. There were magazine racks like you'd see in a Dr's office with Wired and Spin copies (again, isn't this a little selfconscious?) The closet was like an airplane closet with a curtain over the door. The bathroom fixtures were interesting, different- but then, interesting and different is about all that could be said for the place overall. Mostly a depressing gray/blue/ teal palette. There were a couple of irritating features- as other reviewers have mentioned it is not possible to turn off the blasting loud ventilation system that cycles on and off every few minutes. I am a sound sleeper, but it meant that I could not hear the TV without sitting on the end of the bed in front of it- not very relaxing, the only other semi- comfortable place to sit was a vinyl bench- style couch that was UNDER the wall mounted TV so it did't work. I guess I didn't mention that the room is quite small, not much room but to walk around the bed. I stayed here to check it out; now I have and I found it unimpressive and visually, not very welcoming or comfortable. Understand that there was nothing especially wrong here (except for the loud unstoppable fan) but I just felt mildly insulted by what I experienced as an imitation of hipness. If another review means by "European" stripped- down and sterile ;looking, then if that is all one finds in Europe, fine, but I would not go out of my way to stay at a place like this with a comparably priced choice that was warn, inviting and comfortably furnished.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 5, 2010

Dropped my daughter off at U. Penn and stayed here three nights. Friendly staff, quiet room, free internet (wifi in room, two computers in lobby, free printing). Parking is $7/night (free in-and-out), but lots of spaces. Only food option in hotel is a la carte (cereal, muffins, yogurt, fruit, sandwiches, wraps, etc.--lots of choices) from coolers. Sheraton Suites next door has full dining menu. Workout room and pool are nice. Nice bar with hip music right in lobby. Really close to airport, but you don't hear a thing. Took me 10-20 minutes to get to Penn, depending on traffic. Overall, had a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 28, 2010

I had no idea an airport hotel could actually be enjoyable. Great staff, nice amenities, excellent room. Quiet hotel. Had everything I need. Excellent value. Hidden gem. So convenient. I may plan my next trip so I can stay at this place.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 26, 2010

I've stayed at this property several times. Unfortunately, my most recent stays prompted me to write this review.

The hotel is not very clean and the front desk staff are often surly. While I realize this is a Starwood Category 3 hotel, it operates as if it were a Category 1 hotel.

If you need to sleep, I suggest you book another hotel. The air conditioner is so loud when it cycles on and off that it will wake you up throughout the night.

The floors in the room often appear very dirty. On my most recent stay, the toilet had human waste in it (someone forgot to flush). The hallways are also dirty and there are room signs just left on the floor of the hallways.

While some of the front desk staff can be pleasant, most act as if you are interrupting their day. The front desk is consistently unmanned when I go to check out in the morning.

If there is a positive, the shuttle bus drivers are very pleasant. Also, the fitness center has nice treadmills with tvs built into the machines. Overall, the fitness center is nice, albeit small.

Stay away. I know I will.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 23, 2010

I've stayed at alofts many times in several cities. Upon my most recent stay here at Philadelphia airport, I finally figured out my feelings about this chain. It's a great stay for a single, but not so good if you have to share a room.

If you're looking for traditional, conventional, typical... aloft isn't it. Aloft is edgy, funky, modern, minimalist. I love the contemporary room decor, the carpeted walls, the wi-fi throughout, the club atmosphere in the lobby (and yes, I like the music blaring!). I couldn't care less about no restaurant or room service. The Philadelphia airport aloft is part of a three-hotel complex. The two other (more traditional) hotels are a 2 minute walk and each has a full service restaurant. You can eat there or bundle your food up to bring back to your aloft room. Problem solved.

Now for some of the not-so-good: there are elements of the aloft room design that are hard to deal with. I'd say the worst is the bathroom. When you enter the room from the hallway, BAM, you're smack-dab in the bathroom. Heaven help your roommate if you open the room door as s/he is emerging from the shower. It's showtime!

Secondly, I hate any bathroom where the sink area is outside. I prefer a 100% enclosed bathroom. Sink, shower/tub. toilet all in one space with a good, solid DOOR. There is minimal spread-out space on the bathroom counter and virtually none in the shower/toilet room. If you want to spread out your toiletries, you use the floor or the toilet (lid down, of course). And the toilet/shower room is tight. Not enough room to get dried off and dressed in. Your choices are suck it up and get dressed fast in the cramped area or come out into the sink area and give your roommate a show.

Aloft hotels don't have a comfy chair in the room. Either you sit on a hardback chair, a bench under the TV (so you can't see the TV) or on the bed. Or the toilet (where, again, you can't see the TV). Those are your seating options.

Now, on to this particular aloft in Philadelphia. The hotel is about two years old. I first stayed here when it was just a month old. I was highly impressed with the staff then and my impression has not changed. The staff is still top notch. Delightful! They always greet me with "It's good to see you again!" even though I'm sure they don't really remember me (I don't stay there that often). It's still a nice warm-fuzzy and I really appreciate it.

On our most recent stay, we had a mix up with bed making. Apparently, aloft has changed its policies and now they don't make up your bed unless you specifically request it. When I called to the desk, they explained the policy, apologized profusely for the misunderstanding, then offered me extra star points as compensation (I'm a Starwood member). Additionally, when we called to ask for extra towels, they were brought up in under 15 minutes.

The staff is attentive and always make me feel as if I were their only guest. I don't know if they do that for everyone but it sure does make me feel good!

Now for a few more not so good bits. You pay for parking. At a downtown hotel, I'd expect that but this is an airport hotel. Some of the cleaning was a tad slipshod. The shower has some glass walls. When it gets steamed up, you can see where people have touched. You can also see whether not not it has been cleaned because soap splatters show up. On our most recent stay, it was obvious that some lil chicky had open-mouth kissed the glass wall -- her lip prints were quite pronounced. Ick. Additionally, the toilet needed at least two flushes in order to get even the minimal job done. Not good.

I don't know if all alofts allow pets but this one does (I think that may be a new policy for them, too -- I don't remember pets in the past). And there was pet hair on the hallway carpets mingled with dust in the corners. Disgusting. I am NOT an animal lover. The hallway carpets looked to be in need of a good vacuuming, at the very least. I didn't look hard at our room carpet. I didn't want to know.

Bottom line, staff at Philadelphia airport is divine, but unless I'm alone, I probably won't stay here again. Did I mention how great the staff is?

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed August 16, 2010

This is an attractive hotel with a real European flair. However, don't stay here if you need a good night's sleep. Why? First of all, it sounds like you're under Niagara Falls when the air conditioner cycles off and on. Every time it came on it woke us up.

The sink and vanity has no door between it and the sleeping area. So, if someone wakes up early and wishes to brush their teeth or shave, the light wakes anyone trying to remain asleep. Why do hotels do this?

In all honesty, it wasn't that clean. There was a glop of shampoo on the shower floor that wasn't cleaned up. Good thing I didn't slip on it. The carpeting the hallway needed a good vacuuming.

The last thing is the place is run by kids (twenty-somethings). When we were checking out we couldn't address our concerns because the person behind the desk was too busy flirting with one of Philadelphia's finest.

Oh, and you have to pay for parking!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple