“Nice. Clean. Modern.”

Ranked #55 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Düsseldorf
“Nice. Clean. Modern.”
Reviewed June 29, 2010

A nice convenient hotel close to the airport (incl. Sheraton shuttle). Very modern environment with good facilities (fitness center, bar, pool, free parking). Especially the bar is quite nice to relax in the evening with some beers. VERY friendly people. Free WLAN. Perfect business hotel! Thanks for the good stay!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed June 25, 2010

Without a doubt the hotel is new aged or trendy modern; however you choose to state it. The real question is, at what cost $$ do we justify our hotel stays based on the tricked out faucet and sink in the bathroom or the colorful accent lines in the furniture and carpeting?

Flat out, the hotel is over priced. Starwood owns 3 properties on one larger property right next to the airport. I paid $125/ night (corporate rate) but I found out others paid $199/night!! (OUTRAGIEOUS) There are a few other minor hotels near by, but the after them, its downtown. So basically, they have price control due to limited market. Extremely friendly staff with a customer service attitude. Every employee I walked by greeted me politely. The room was very clean with the exception of a large “soda” stain on carpet by the bed. The internal and external general grounds were maintained well also. Very nice club/bar in lobby that is open late, I believe 1am ($8.80 for Captain and Ginger ale). Club is loud but I never heard it in my room and I stayed on the 2nd floor directly above the club. Bed was comfortable yet the pillows were weirdly small and I had to request more. My schedule forces me to sleep a bit during the day so I can not complain too much since MOST people are active while I try to catch some zzzzzz’s. The noise level from within the halls and shutting doors definitely ranks as one of the loudest I have encountered. The most important thing, FOOOOD. Here’s the options and they are very limited……the very expensive lite menu downstairs ($9 sandwiches), the two other hotels on the property with equally expensive menus that have a serious lack of concern for healthy eating and are only open after 6pm, or fast food in the hood under the bridge. Anything else is all the way in the city. Now all the way means 15-30 minutes one way depending on bridge traffic. That’s leads to the next cost of staying, parking. Parking is $7 a night to park in their parking lot!!?? They charge as if they are in DC or New York. It’s a large parking lot for all three of their hotels and no other businesses yet they still stick it to you for another $7 a night. Internet was free I believe. I forgot to check if they charge regular travelers. Remember, although I am usually on business and not paying out of MY pocket, I’m still fiscally responsible for my company.

BTW, South Philly had a storm Thursday afternoon. The hotel lost power from about 3pm until 9:30pm. Many were blaming the hotel, raising hell demanding refunds, and complaining to management seemingly until they owned stock in the company. I’m sure these are the same folks that will give poor reviews about dust on a lamp and I’m confident they wouldn’t tell you all the facts. The hotel AND 100,000 other locals lost power, the staff was outrageously helpful and courteous during the stressful and anxious time to all guests. All management was on staff, the other hotels on property had staff at the Aloft for assistance, fans were in lobby, the general manager was passing out free water to everyone that walked by, etc…

Overall good comfortable stay but to expensive for average travelers considering the flare is nothing more designer furniture, colorful paint, and great attitudes.

1 Thank Somtinfishy
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed June 21, 2010

Seems like they have some good ideas, but it just didn't fly overall. The bedspread was full of strange lumps. The pillows were foam, but seemed like they had been washed, so it was like trying to sleep on a bag filled with little chunks of foam. Also, I'm not a huge fan of shampoo in a dispenser in the shower. Found a tick on the bathroom wall and someone else's trash still in the waste bin when I arrived. Overall they just didn't pull it off.

Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 20, 2010

Good location by the airport for business..great beds..free internet...snack shop although open 24hrs is very pricey....awesome staff! Draw backs for me though...no drawers...no ice machines..

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed June 17, 2010

The hotel is absolutely beautiful and the staff is more than accommodating. A few things I'd like to point out are the bright colors, stylish decor, young and attractive staff at the Front Desk, and the comfortable beds. Daryl Archie, Front Desk Supervisor, is pleasant and attentive. There was also a young lady with a long pony-tail (didn't get her name but she worked the morning shift on June 13th) who had a soothing voice, and was very knowledgeable about area attractions. What a great experience! I will be staying at this hotel the next time I visit Philly. I worked in hotels for many years (Marriott, Renaissance, Ritz-Carlton and Walt Disney World hotels), so I have high expectations when I travel. This hotel exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 16, 2010

My friends and I were visiting Philadelphia for a conference and were originally planning to stay at the Econolodge at the Philadelphia airport. After reading reviews for that hotel online, we decided to cancel our reservation and I did some more research and found great reviews about Aloft. Not to my surprise, I was just as thrilled by Aloft as most of the people whose reviews I had read.

Aloft was amazing. First of all, the location was pretty great. We didn't want to stay in the heart of Philly because it was too expensive but Aloft ended up being really convenient. They have a free shuttle that runs every 20 minutes 24/7 to the airport. So each morning we could catch the shuttle, then jump on the train from the airport and that took us directly into the city. The shuttle was always efficient and on time. The airport pick up location for the shuttle can get crazy but it's nothing unnatural for a big city airport. The only downside is that the hotel isn't within walking distance to any restaurants, but many restaurants deliver directly to your hotel room so it's not a bad deal. Just remember that parking is about 7 bucks a day, so that will have to factor into your Aloft stay.

The folks at Aloft are so nice and very helpful. From the minute we arrived, they were very attentive and friendly. And the interior of the hotel is really great. It's very hip and spruced up nicely. There's a bar area, a pool table, two computers for guest use, and a lounge area. They also have a snack bar but the food is pretty expensive/overpriced. But it's still good to know it's there in case you need it, since they don't have room service. There's also a great pool, very clean and really enjoyable to swim in. And an even better fitness room. The fitness room featured top of the line equipment and a very nice weight training area; they even give you free headphones for your stay.

The room itself was incredible. We booked on Orbitz so for 90 dollars we got a room with two queen beds, a huge LCD flat screen TV, free wireless, a small fridge, and a great bathroom with free amenities. It was really pretty unbeatable. Everything was very clean, pristine even. The housekeeping staff was very friendly and very efficient. The beds were comfortable, in fact, I slept better there than I do in my own home - and I was on a business trip.

All in all, you really can't beat it. Aloft is really the way to go. There are a few other hotels near Aloft but I think Aloft easily outdoes the others. I'll definitely be visiting another Aloft location soon!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed June 8, 2010

Booked a king for three nights, and at check in am told that they are sold out and would have to take twin queens. Okay, fine. The room ends up being a handicap room, for which I was not told. I would have booked another hotel. They stated that they would move me the next day, but it would be just as easy to move to a place that doesn't lie to me.

The room is dark, fairly clean, and the beds are very low to the ground and lumpy. Not traveler friendly, as they have very few plugs and poor wifi.

Parking is $7 a day.

This is my second stay at this hotel, and I normally like to find one place and stick with it. This won't be that place.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philadelphia
Sheraton Suites Philadelphia Airport
Renaissance Philadelphia Airport Hotel
Hampton Inn Philadelphia-International Airport
Embassy Suites by Hilton Philadelphia Airport
La Quinta Inn & Suites Philadelphia Airport
Four Points by Sheraton Philadelphia Airport

Been to aloft Philadelphia Airport? Share your experiences!