All reviewsbliss productsstarwood hotelsphiladelphia airportan early morning flightpark and flyone night stayindoor poolwake up callbed was comfortablefree shuttlelobby areashuttle servicehipphlconcertuber
Reviewed August 30, 2009

We stayed at Aloft on the strong recommendation of my Frommer's guidebook on our last night in Philadephia to be close to the airport for our flight. We booked a pre-paid room for $118. Overall good value - very clean room with all the basics, although I would have liked an extra towel (only 2 provided) and the bed was extremely firm for my taste.

No restaurant on-site but there was one a short walk away at the Sheraton - the only real option for breakfast with a pretty limited buffet for a pricey $12.95 per person. Aloft has a "grab-and-go" bar with multiple food and drink options, and a full bar with expensive drinks.

There was a decent indoor pool and fitness center. I especially liked the business center where I easily printed our boarding passes.

Complimentary shuttle-bus was easy and quick and got us to the airport with plenty of time to spare.

I would definitely consider staying again at an Aloft if I needed to be near the airport.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2009

I stayed at this hotel one night, as I missed my flight back to LA - picked it because because of the catchy ad at the airport kiosk, ("loft -inspired design..."), free WiFi, reasonable rates, and my SPG membership, in that order.
Check-in went smoothly, I was informed that there would be a DJ that evening, and so based on my preferences was given a room on floor #4 of 5... I could always come down to the party.
Room itself was not bad, lots of work surface, a bench under the 42" flat screen LG hi-def TV was a nice touch. The only concern was a noisy wall air conditioner, as noted by other reviewers, but I suppose a tired traveler like myself may not find this too big a deal.
However, what IS a big deal is dining options, or the lack thereof. All that aloft had was a selection of ready-to-go items at steep prices, even the beverages from the coffee machine were not complimentary! Their sister property Four Points supposedly had a cafe, but during my stay was being remodeled. Other options available were the burger bar at the Sheraton Suites (acceptable I suppose if one's idea of a healthy dinner is a $17 burger), or delivery from a pizza place, or Chinese takeout. Nothing was appealing, so I decided to salve my hunger by enjoying the shower instead.
Bottom line: Seriously lacking in basic food requirements, the blurbs for re:fuel (their in-house "dining option") are marketing gltiz, an otherwise decent stay was made borderline-acceptable. If you have a car then this place may make sense, otherwise I would avoid.
LIKES: forward-looking ecological considerations (e.g., in-wall shampoo and bath gel dispensers, wooden pencils instead of pens); room size and layout; Kohler shower head; options for attaching your own electronics to the hi-def TV; option for wired internet connection
DISLIKES: lack of food options; trying too hard to be hip and hapening; lack of accessibility -- you're pretty much stuck here if you don't have a car, though I suppose you can take the shuttle back to the airport and from there go to Philadelphia...
PS: The DJ was rained out, so I can't attest to the "trendiness" of this "hangout."

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 26, 2009

This is a nice place for the price. I stayed two nights. Bed is good, bath is good. Free wifi is always a good thing. A/C was noisy the first night, not bad the second night, but why they don't have quiet, central air I don't understand. It messes up an otherwise very good experience. Check this before you accept your room. Also check things like the alarm clock and coffee maker. On separate nights, these things were inoperative. Breakfast is extra charge, a la carte and not cheap, but overall this hotel is a moderate price.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 25, 2009

We arrived at the hotel and it was a pretty nice place. Very contemporary. Looked like everything was purchased at Ikea, so I was worried that things might break. There is no restaurant at the hotel, hmm. The pool was tiny and crowed. The beds were hard. Pillows were very small. Bar area in the morning was dirty. This place was far from everything. Never again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2009

There's no doubt that the aloft is an interesting concept hotel. Hip, trendy, cool, fun, different, entertaining, and modern. It reminds me of the West Wing at the MGM in Las Vegas, only on a cheaper scale.
This property is an excellent choice unless you are looking for food or a quiet place to sleep. The hotel has no restaurant, but it does have a trendy bar with lounge music. You have to go across the parking lot to the Four Points where you can eat in a space that reminded me of a high school cafeteria with hard plastic chairs, concrete floor and fluorescent lighting. The other choice is the Sheraton Suites which serves a dozen different kinds of burgers and that's about it. Hard plastic (wood grain Formica) chairs and no ambiance describes that restaurant. Even the staff appeared to be embarrassed by the lackluster decor and the limited menu.
The aloft rooms are equipped with single built in air conditioners like you would find at a Motel 6. And they're just as noisy. I had to change rooms because of the noisy a/c - it sounded like a 747 taking off. And yes, I looked out my window which was a stone's throw from a runway and there were no planes taking off. The second room was no better.
Pluses are the free Internet and the HD TV built into the wall. The bed was comfortable, the shower was large and there was hot water, and there were no bugs or rogue hairs in the sheets or bathroom. The staff was very friendly.
Note about the area:
The PHL surrounding area seriously lacks restaurants. The nearby Hilton has one the is reminiscent of a funeral home with a menu right out of 1977. Or you can go a couple miles to a Ruby Tuesday.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business