“quick overnight is a nice surprise”

aloft Philadelphia Airport
Ranked #56 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Portland, Oregon
“quick overnight is a nice surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2009

I stayed at this hotel when I arrived into Philly late on a Weds evening in April 2009. I chose to stay at the aloft because I've heard that they're a cool new brand under the Starwood family and I wanted to give it a shot.

I thought the room was very practical and utilitarian, without frills. I liked the sliding mirrored doors in the bath and the stand-up shower. I liked that they had a cost-savings and eco option with shampoo/conditoner dispensers in the shower - this was a great idea. The bed was comfy but the room itself had a cold feeling, not temperature, but just not a lot of feeling or homey decor. I thought they could have made it a bit warmer and inviting. The check-in area and breakfast options were really cool and modern and I liked that a lot. The breakfast sandwich I had was amazing! The choices they had were great.

I thought the location was kind of blah, in that it was just on the airport pretty much. So this wouldn't be a destination hotel for families, etc, unless your destination was the airport or if you were arriving late at night like I was and wanted a more funky place to stay. I liked the efficiency of this brand and will probably try it out again in future travel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank elh76

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2009

Pros: Very close to the airport, there was an airport shuttle two times an hour (never used it), rooms are clean, nice and new. The TVs in the room are HUGE and really nice! There was also a convenient port that you could plug in multi-types of media players which is nice for portable dvd players, game systems etc. We didn't know they had one, and would have liked to have known ahead of time. The decor is really trendy and modern.

Cons: Bathroom doors in the hotel (in the bedroom, in the lobby) all slam shut so loudly it's startling! The pillows were pretty small, like kid pillows. Paying for parking at a hotel that isn't IN the city is always a little bit disappointing. Plus we could never get in and out without some sort of a problem. Our card wouldn't swipe, etc. There was no restaurant for breakfast but you could buy snacks/hot & cold drinks.

BIGGEST PROBLEM: Kids in the fitness room. They were completely unsupervised and multiple hotel employees walked past and did not do anything. It was not even possible to use equipment since the kids were playing on it. there was even a DOG in the room at one point. It's not my place to ruin there fun but there are rules for reason. If one of the kids was to fall on the equipment that is a serious problem. When they all finally left the yoga mats/balls were all over the place, cups of water etc, no one cleaned it up for hours. I expressed my concern to the front desk but it fell on uninterested ears.

Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2009

I made reservations 2 weeks ahead of time and requested a particular room, everything was confirmed but when I checked in the room was not available and I was told "IT WAS ONLY A REQUEST", so remember don't make a request . More training is needed so people won't be so disappointed. If you are looking for a hot and trendy hotel this is it. No restaurant, no spacious rooms nor free parking but plenty of loud music. I was shocked to learn as a guest you paid for parking, a first for me... $6.00 a day, I'm glad I only stayed 2 days it could become very expensive. The highlight of my stay was the flat screen T.V. on the wall and the feel of relaxation when taking a shower.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Warwick, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the aloft for two nights. The room and the hotel was ultra modern. Everything is white, silver, and mirrored with music playing as soon as you enter the lobby and lasting until you get off the elevator.
The room was clean and a little on the small side but we were not there to hang out in the room all day. There was a small pool and fitness room and a very chic lobby bar. We had no problem with the parking and the staff was super friendly.
It was the perfect price and location for visiting the sites inside the city of Philadelphia. If you are looking for a luxurious 5 star resort with gourmet food than this is not the place for you... but if you are looking for something new and hip the aloft is definitely worth checking out. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
New England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2009

I've stayed at a couple of these hotels now, solo and with spouse- and this room was not comfortable for two people. This hotel scores high on cleanliness because it is new. It's a fun and funky design that doesn't take long before it begins to wear on you . The front desk staff need further training as they were unaware of Starwood Program benefits. Because it is a new concept I'm sure they are stil working out the kinks so here's how I see it.

Cons: Trying too hard to be trendy, relevant, and unique. Overbearing music at check in (confirms my old age). Room size: 2's a crowd. Over priced food, liquid soap (i prefer bars), Big Screen TV interface (no one could get it to work- the second Aloft property that had this problem), noisy HVAC, charged for parking

Pro: Rooms comfortable for one person. creative way of fitting all the design elements into a compact area, the sink area is outside of the shower toilet, tubless Shower, Big Screen TV.

I'd stay here when the price is $120 or below.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2009

we love starwood hotels and this was our first stay at an aloft. at first, we were a little disappointed that the room was a bit smaller and there wasn't a restaurant, etc. but then we realized that the aloft concept is specifically designed to be more minimalistic. everything in the rooms is more compact [similar to a "loft"] but is clean, modern, and very nice. the rooms offers a generous-sized flat panel lcd tv, complimentary bottles of water, bliss bath products, small coffee maker, and most importantly for us, FREE wi-fi! the lobby is a great place to hang out - cool vibe and music. there's also a decent sized gym. the airport shuttle is shared with the airport sheraton and four points and runs regularly. and if you want to eat a meal, it's a short walk to either the sheraton and four points restaurants.

overall, i think this hotel is an excellent value for the price. you just need to know what to expect - simple but trendy. best for business travelers, singles or couples. probably too small and inconvenient for a family.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2009

We checked in early Friday evening before an early Saturday morning flight. The room was nice. It was new and clean. It seemed a little small but I think it was more that the layout was not typical. We went to bed early due to the early flight the next day. We were awoke at 11pm by very loud music. Apparently the lobby had been rented out for a party. We could hear the music even though we were on the 5th floor. I called the lobby several times before they even picked up. Once they did I couldn't even hear them due to the music being so loud. The music didn't stop until 2am. When we checked out the next morning the lobby looked like it had been trashed. There were empty drinks and trash everywhere. I am perusing a refund from the hotel as we were not told at booking or at check in that there would be a party that day. This hotel obviously values the revenue they receive over renting out the lobby over their hotel guests.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank emilymad
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philadelphia
Sheraton Suites Philadelphia Airport
Renaissance Philadelphia Airport Hotel
Hampton Inn Philadelphia-International Airport
Embassy Suites by Hilton Philadelphia Airport
La Quinta Inn & Suites Philadelphia Airport
Four Points by Sheraton Philadelphia Airport

Been to aloft Philadelphia Airport? Share your experiences!