“Fun night and good sleep for most of us”

aloft Philadelphia Airport
Ranked #56 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed February 27, 2009

We liked the Aloft and had a great one night stay there prior to an early flight. We had already eaten dinner downtown and were there for sleeping and parking, what we got was that and more. We r a family of 4 and the kids had a blast, playing pool with us and using the free computers to check on their internet stuff. My Husband and I enjoyed a drink and the staff at the bar and front desk were great! After that the kids took a swim and we were the only ones in the pool, again they were very happy. The pool was very clean and had plenty of towels and a shower to rinse off. Back to the room for real showers and sleep. The room was great for us, yes it could use some art work and it is a bit dorm like, but it was comfortable. The kids and I sleep well, my husband did not. We were up early grabbed a quick sandwich downstairs, which wasn't that great and hoped on the shuttle. Next time we will just get breakfast in the terminal, but the snack and things at the hotel were good enough for a one night stay. The shuttle was fine getting to the airport, but on the way home we waited about 20-30 minutes and you must remember to call when you are heading to baggage, so they are there for you. All in all I would go back and we had a great night! :)

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed February 20, 2009

Stayed for one night before an early morning flight. If you're not a hipster who doesn't mind no amenities whatsover, do not stay at this hotel. No glasses in room, no ice buckets ("guests stole them") no vending machines save the area in the lobby that was virtually empty, really nothing but a bed and good HDTV. Blasting music in the lobby was really unerving after a 90 minute drive. And then who wants to go to the lobby for everything with the music blasting.

We didn't have a problem with the parking and the front desk staff tried to be helpful, but come on, give me an old fashioned hotel with some amenities, please! Even motels have vending machines.

Reviewed February 11, 2009

I had read the reviews about this hotel so I was skeptical about staying here, but it was a new hotel so my husband and I decided to give it a try. When we arrived, we were greeted by a lovely young woman; in fact, all of the front desk staff was extremely kind and professional. They were also knowledgeable about the area and worked their hardest to accommodate our needs.

The room decor was nice, but the room was not clean; I thought since this was such a new hotel, it would be cleaner, but there was dirt, dust and stains all over the room. The hallways also looked like they hadn't been vacuumed ever and there were dirty footprints everywhere.

There was a nice lobby that had a D.J. after 10pm. If you don't like loud music, this is not where you want to stay. My husband and I enjoyed the music and lobby; we had a couple drinks and it was nice. (very expensive, but nice)

The hotel does not offer a restaurant...therefore, no room service. It does have a small assortment of sandwiches, fruit and snacks, etc.. There are restaurants at the Four Points and Sheraton Suites across the street. We ate at the Four Points and the food and service were very good.

My major problem with this hotel is that I was charged a $55.00 "incidentals fee" THREE days after we left the hotel. When I called the hotel to question this expense, I was told that it was for incidentals "just in case something happened". When I asked why I wasn't charged this fee prior to or during my stay, I was put on hold and "accidentally" disconnected. As of right now, I still haven't heard back from aLoft concerning this charge.

I wouldn't go back to this hotel. I'd much rather stay at the Sheraton Suites.

Reviewed February 9, 2009

My admin contacted the hotel due to a sold out condition at the Marriott (which is right at the PHL airport) that I usually stay in. She had never heard of Aloft and took a chance - she will not be taking that kind of chance in the future! The location is close to the airport and the staff that greeted me was very friendly. However, what I found lacking was how little I was told about how the location differed from your typical hotel. I was not given anything other than a room key and thankfully only had my one carry on bag to pull as there seemed to be no bell person to assist anyone. There was dance music playing in the lobby (and the elevator) but not so loud as to be intrusive to me. However, working there I would probably end up shooting the speakers off the wall after a while. The hallways of the hotel were unexpectedly wide and nicely laid out but the room really set me back. I walked into my king room and was immediately in the bathroom area. Right in front of me was a large wall and around to the front of it was the bed with little built in side tables, a large flat screen opposite it on the wall with a bench under it, a small desk next to the TV, a circa 1970 heating cooling unit and that’s all folks! I really did just stand there and turn in a circle for a moment thinking what the… just could not believe I was basically in a dorm room. There was no information anywhere! I had to call down to the desk asking for an iron and ironing board to be brought to my room and they told me it was in my room already in an alcove hideaway on the opposite side of the bed. I had to inquire ‘how do you expect people to know this?’ The ironing board is very tiny so I ironed on the bed. Not amused. Also, when I went to wash up (great Bliss products by the way!) I found I was given only one wash cloth one hand towel and one bath towel. So I called down and was told that I could come pick up additional towels from the front desk. Okkkkk hummm…what about room service? They had none just a enhanced vending machine option with a microwave in the lobby. I saw that service area, called Fuel, but thought it was like a snack shop. I thought that the restaurant was some place out of view but never thought it would be not nonexistent! When I came down to find something to eat they told me I could sit at the bar for wings and such or walk over to one of the other nearby hotels for a sit down restaurant. As I walked out in the snow I really wished I was staying at any of the other locations vs. where I was. I had dinner nearby walked back (had started snowing again) and tried to settle into the room but the shades on the windows blocked little light it just poured in on the sides and was really annoying. Bed was basic nothing heavenly about it but it was ok. Only had 2 very soft pillows and didn’t feel like trekking downstairs to get another one so just dealt with it. All in all this is not a great place for the business traveler at least none that I know. And my rate was only 25.00 cheaper then I normally get at the Marriott. I was able to leave my car there for a low rate of 6.00 per day and take their shuttle. Which was fine but once the shuttle got to me it had filled up so I was left standing while it made the rounds to other hotels. They only have a mini bus. When I returned I lucked into walking out the doors at the airport and the shuttle was just pulling up. However, the parking fee was not charged to my room like it was supposed to be for the 1 night I stayed there and when I went back in to pay for the other nights my car sat there I was told I had to pay in cash they will not let you pay with a credit card for parking but you can use it for the rooms??? When I didn't have enough in cash I was told that I could go out to the booth and pay with a card there. After waiting in the car line for 15 mins while every car that approached the gate had some issue or another with a few needing all of us to back up so they could go back to the hotel it was my turn. Well I found out that not only could they not take any money (cash or credit) at the gate I had to insert a room key - that the hotel took back from me when I checked out! I told the gate agent to look me in my eyes and understand that either they were taking my card and charging me or they were lifting the gate and it was free. But I was not moving - game over! They let me go. I was very serious! In summary- I felt like I was working during my stay and not a guest.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 7, 2009

Our one night stay was due to US Air flight cancellation. My husband and I were curious to experience this new hotel where we were assigned for the night. Initially there was a backup at the round reception area due to the numerous passengers checking in from the cancelled flight, but everyone was patient and the process went quickly. We noticed the contemporary lobby, with its plasma screens, and hip decor. Our room on the 5th floor was on the small side but was quiet and worked out very well for the night. Note: probably not the best place for more than a couple of nights, due to storage constraints. The platform bed was extremely comfortable, the shower had two dispensers built in with Bliss products and the decor was modern and trendy. Like others who have written, the shades did allow more light in than needed in the morning. The internet connection was very fast. I made the mistake of having a cup of the "Steep and Steam" citrus green tea and stayed up all night from the caffeine. Who knew??? The front desk people were always helpful and friendly. The wake-up call came as requested. The do-it-yourself breakfast area was just marginal. Their version of an eggmuffin was not the best choice, but all in all, I would definitely stay there again.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed February 3, 2009

The aLoft hotel near the Philadelphia airport was a refreshing change to the traditional finds. The outside was pretty dull, but the inside is ultra modern and chic. The decor lends itself nicely to a younger contemporary crowd ~ seeking something outside of the box. The rooms are spotless with a beautful shower, great storage and an awesome flat screen t.v. The bed is crazy comfortable and the window treatments help the room stay dark so you can sleep in :) . The lobby and pool area is mega hip with lots of awesome artwork and lounging areas.

We stayed at this hotel while in Philly for an Eagles football game The location near the airport is super easy to access and we got to the stadium really fast. I definetly recommend this hotel over my former favorite the Holiday Inn Stadium (which I hear has Seriously gone down over the last several years). The aloft reminds me a lot of the super trendy (and unbelievably expensive) hotels in Manhattan. Fortunately you can get more square footage at the aLoft PA...and at more than 1/2 the price of NY. Enjoy!

• Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed January 26, 2009

took advantage of their buy one night/50% off next night offer, bringing average cost per night to around 80.00. Very reasonable for area and super close to PHL airport. Very sleek, ultra-contemporary concept. Bar/lobby area is quite loud at night , but fun. Everything was super clean and very new (property only open a few months). No free continental breakfast but items available for purchase in lobby. didn't look at the offerings so cannot comment on that. Staff is highly energetic and friendly, but the "aloha" will get to you after awhile. I feel they are still working out the kinks, but this is a wonderful concept and young business travelers should really enjoy the property. A few service issues (room never made up, coffee never replaced), while not major, should be noted. When I went to lobby to request coffee packet for next morning since room was never serviced, staff very apologetic, however it took nearly one hour for coffee packet to arrive. Only other issue is the paid-parking. Having stayed at several other PHL airport properties (Embassy Suites, hampton Inn, Hilton) which do not charge to park, it seems like the 6.00 per night can be waived?? All in all, my teenage son really enjoyed the stay, it is quite fun and reasonably priced, but I probably would pick a different place next time I needed to be in this area, unless the Aloft priced out MUCH lower than the others.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)