“Cheap Chic - FABULOUS CONCEPT !!!”

aloft Philadelphia Airport
Ranked #58 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed December 29, 2008

I'm not sure what to say... Other then I love the concept and I think Starwood is on to something big here. I am a Gold SPG member and this was my first visit to an Aloft property. I was impressed with the swanky lobby, funky decor and friendly service at registration. The hotel is a great deal for the price and as long as Starwood keeps it reasonable its a real value. But SPG Gold/Platinum Members beware. This is not a full service property and only room types here are Queen or 2-Dbls. There is no upgrade, there is no recognition other then level key card holder. There is no SPG floor. There is a sign at the front desk. But there is no dedicated check in for Elite Members. Basically they don't really care here weather you are Elite or not. The front desk agent that greeted me with a loud "Aloha Sir" was wearing a Aloft branded polo shirt and khakis with a peace sign pin on his lapel did not really care if I was SPG member or not. If this is part of the concept or not im not sure. If it is its a bold move for SPG which has traditionally valued its elite members more then any other chain. I was really out of by this. Not to mention that at check out my SPG number was not even added to my folio so I was not going to get my points.

What you get is a funky, groovy hotel that works. Its a great lobby scene. I stayed for 2 nights and the lobby always had a crowd. Young and energetic. Room was new and very functional. Firm and comfortable bedding. You get 2 bottles of water complimentary each day and there is a refrigerator in each room. The hotel is in a secured compound with two other Starwood property's. Very safe to park at night. Very well lighted and convenient to airport and I-95. Pool and gym are great. Better then some full service hotels. Snacks and fun stuff available for purchase 24 hours a day at reasonable prices. In room amenity's are from Bliss and they are fantastic. The rooms all have a free safe and digital climate control. The A/C is the wall type under the window and while ti works very well. It is very loud. But I guess you can drown it all out with your 42 Inch - wall mounted - LG Plasma TV with surround sound. It was all HD cable and it was awesome.

I am concerned that the hotel opened in October and already its showing some tear. My housekeeper did a terrible job of cleaning and the floors in the bathroom you can tell don't get cleaned much. They look ok now because they are new. But this time next year they wont be looking so good at the rate they are going. Carpets in hallways (5th floor - top floor - Is where I stayed) where not vacuumed properly and always had dust and debris. The elevators where not very clean. The door to the back room/office that's opposite the check in pod was always kept open by the night clerk. This looked terrible and really took away from the experience. There are already light bulbs that are being replaced with different bulbs then the original ones used. Also some bulbs are just out. Clearly not a very good maintenance department here. This is a new property and a significant investment or the Starwood brand. I am surprised there is not better upkeep.

The service is friendly and relaxed. But don't expect a whole lot. They are always understaffed and have only one person for a 150+ room property at night. This presents a real challenge as this person checks in - answers phones - and does everything.

I recommend staying here and checking it out. The concept is awesome. The rooms are comfy. The value is unbeatable. Its just a shame they are not keeping it as clean and well maintained as such a beautiful hotel deserves

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank miamiskyboy

Reviewed December 29, 2008

Wasn't sure what to expect when booking this property but it was overall a good experience.

Lobby/Check-in experience was pleasant and the WXYZ Bar and adjacent lounge/pool area had a great feel.

Kitchen/Snack Bar area was OK but I would've liked to have seen some beer offerings as there was no mini-bar in room.

Hallways and elevator were sleek and trendy (borderline "fad") modern but didn't look quite refined and finished (IKEA meets W).

Guestroom foyer and bathroom was nice and efficient with glass shower and modern vanity and fixtures. 42" plasma was excellent with great channel offerings and picture quality.

Living Area was surprisingly comfortable and well planned but, again, didn't have the level of finish you would expect at a starwood property. That said, this is an amazing value at around $90/night.

Tip: Make sure you get your parking validated by hotel attendant.

John
NYC

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed December 28, 2008

My first stay at an Aloft was a little frustrating, but overall a really nice change from bland beige business hotels, kind of a W-lite meets Danish upscale dorm room.

Pros: Hyperenergetic staff; food selections in a 24/7 pantry (fresh and good - especially the breakfast sandwiches); free, fast wireless; comfortable bed; cool in-room magazine selections; nice shower and amenities; pool table in the lobby.

Cons: Hard to find an AC plug in the lobby lounge (esp strange given their emphasis on tech-savvy travelers); drab rooms (would a piece of art have killed them?)

Overall, it was a nice change and I'd welcome the opportunity to stay there again. Non-frequent travelers might find it a bit too spartan and cold.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed December 27, 2008

We stayed for just one night after being stranded by US Air. The Hotel reminded me of the small boutique hotels in Europe with a few small twists.

The reception desk was a circle oddly placed on the ground floor with unclear signs. Next to this was the "refuel" area where $3 muffins cavort with their like priced espresso. Other than "refuel" there is no on-site restaurant, you need to go to the other two hotels on the property, which were overpriced as well. (A $12 with no sides dish.... is definitely overpriced!) The front desk is attentive and quickly answered any of our questions or requests. Okay, maybe the Aloha thing wears thin, quickly. The shuttle from the airport is shared with the other Sheraton properties.

The room was well designed, albeit lacking in storage space if your stay is longer than a day. (Five hangers is the limit, folks!) Some people may not like the blinds, which didn't fully darken the room. The shower was a coolly designed with glass. There was a mirror door to cover the toilet/shower area, allowing access to the sink while the other part of the bathroom was in use (great if someone wants to shave/dry their hair while a second person is showering. The shower had ecologically minded dispensers. The bed was a firm mattress on a platform. There were switches for the over the bed lighting (though none for the main room lighting.)

On the desk there is a central hookup to connect your computer or ipod to the room's TV. And a large TV at that. We asked for an RGB cable to connect our laptop and while the "engineer" didn't know which cable it was, he came with a box of cables and lent us one. The hookup was great and let us watch from the laptop on the big screen.

The Internet access was slow but acceptable. They try to up-sell you a $4 faster access. We asked for it, but it was still slow. (and we didn't get charged for it.) They provide you with access in room or a pass-code if you want access elsewhere in the hotel from your wireless.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 22, 2008

Great place - and surprisingly inexpensive. Stayed there because I had an early flight from PHL - was a quick drive to the airport - easy to get in and out. The rooms were SUCH an interesting break from the norm (i travel a lot for business and get bored of the same old set up). Bliss products - great flat screen - plenty of space. Great if you're arriving late - they have a lot of food/drinks available and a good selection. I'd definitely stay here again and can't wait to see more open up.

• Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed December 15, 2008

In theory I really like this concept, and there are some things about it that are really awesome. This Starwood product caters to the younger, trendier traveler and features a price point that's quite a bit lower than other Starwood brands. The furnishings and lobby have a European feel, and it's all very design-y and cool - I love the in-room magazine selection and the bath products are specially made for Aloft by the fantastic Bliss company (you can buy them online but they're expensive, like other Bliss products). However, having stayed in other Aloft properties, I can tell you the PHL hotel needs a bit of work. I'm a Starwood Gold member and like another reviewer, I don't think there's much at Aloft properties even available by means of upgrade. I didn't notice a program member's floor, either.

* There's a "jack box" on top of the desk near the telly that supposedly will allow you to plug in a laptop, IPod, what have you to watch your own media. Mine simply didn't work. When I called down to the desk, a well-meaning but not very effective engineer showed up to tweak the system a few times - coming and going - I appreciated the effort but I'd really like for it to have worked without my spending 45 minutes answering the door while he went to get different pieces of equipment. He never did get it working. I tried to change rooms to be able to use the AV system but he told me the entire hotel was suffering an outage. I'm dubious.

* The AV system also functions as an alarm clock, rather than guests' being able to use the old-fashioned kind. (There's a clock in the room but I'm not sure it even has an alarm feature, although I'm sure you could still also get a wakeup call from the front desk.) You're intended to set the television to come on at a certain time, thus awakening you. This would be great in the abstract, but - no lie - my television switched on at 6 AM both nights I stayed here (in room 317). I changed the alarm time on the system repeatedly - language indicated the time set was meant not to carry over from day to day - but to no avail. This was really no fun, as I was up very late both nights I stayed here, had busy days and could have used some good shuteye.

* There was a loud (LOUD) party in the lobby on Friday night. I stayed on the third floor and could hear the music quite clearly through the walls and floor until after 2 AM. It would have been nice to know this was going to happen before I booked at this property. The music in the lobby was positively deafening as I came in from my car. They did give me a free pair of earplugs when I went down and asked, but keeping music blaring until 2 AM seems a little extreme.

* They lock the back doors at night (I never did find out what time) and most of the parking is around back, so you'll face a long walk in the cold to get to the front door if you arrive back at the hotel after a late movie or some such.

* As someone else mentioned, there isn't a room darkening option. They have slick looking pull down blinds, but there's a big gap around all three edges of them and it's very bright in the room once the sun comes up.

This, combined with the TV spontaneously turning on and the fact that the beds aren't the most comfortable - plus the loud party in the lobby - resulted in a profound lack of sleep over the duration of my stay. I do like what Starwood is trying to do here, but I really think they should explore some management changes at this particular property. I'd probably opt for one of the other Sheraton brands were I to return to the area.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank DivemistressofthDark
Reviewed November 18, 2008

Their slogan goes something like this: "Live Life Aloft". Strange.

The theme is more like 2001 Space Odyssey meets Disco meets College dorm. I just didn't get it as a lodging option but I appreciate the effort.

The property is situated about a mile from Philadelphia International Airport in a fairly nice gated complex that houses two additional Starwood hotels, the Four Points Sheraton and the Sheraton Suites. I chose Aloft because I was awarded it after a $90 Hotwire selection. The other two run about 140-160 per night during the week and appear comparable in quality.

The main floor of the hotel has all of the standard amenities of a Marriott Courtyard with the addition of dance music blaring in the background, billiards table, a little grocery market, "new wave" bar and a swimming pool with a similar ultra-modern design. It actually felt like a place where you would go to pick-up a lonely flight attendant.

The staff actually greet you with "Aloha" when you check-in or ask them a basic question. I couldn't decide whether or not to answer with an Aloha back or break out with a "Buenos Dias".
That being said, everyone was really nice and took time to answer questions about the local area.

My room resembled something similar to my dorm when I was a freshman in college. It had a bed, a work table and little else. It was tiny and there was no tub. Rather, you get a stand-up shower, a sink and a toilet. I was waiting for a Resident Assistant to assign me a roommate. The only thing resembling a perk is the flatscreen. This is not what I expect in a room design.

Upon my return to retrive my car (you can keep it parked there for 6 dollars per day so long as you prepay) my car battery went dead and I forgot one of my bags at the airport. Staff were great. They immediately called for a driver who took us back to the airport where I found my missing luggage. They also called for a maintenance engineer from one of the adjacent buildings who was kind enough to give me a jump with his cables. My car started immediately. I am going to contact the management to let them know about their kind actions as they both went beyond the call of duty for me.

Overall, this place will probably work for single guys or men on business who are looking for a place to crash without their wives or girlfriends. I would stay again if traveling by myself but would not recommend for older couples, female professionals or familes traveling with children.

• Stayed: November 2008