“A Pleasant surprise........but...”

aloft Philadelphia Airport
Ranked #58 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Read several reviews on the ALOFT and after my experience recently at the Hilton took a chance here..the previous reviews hinted at some problems so with some reservation checked in not really expecting much? Well I was surprised by both quality of the room and attention to detail / space? The room was tidy/clean but with some signs of wear and tear - but overall impression was not as bad as previously stated - perhaps I was lucky? Once I'd worked out the various hiding places for Hangers / Irons etc it was ok? I have to say that for once I was impressed by the quality of the Steam Iron - shows you how much I travel when things like that get a rating - but its important right..?? Now some negatives - Air Con/Heating too loud and program not responsive - ok when it was switched of from the mains. Doors weigh a ton and you cannot help slamming them - which leads to a lot of noise from other guests when closing doors etc? Could do with a few more items in terms of Soap- accessories but from a room perspective..thats about it? Yes the Bar area does get some "visitors" and not sure of there motives etc but possibly due to the music/ambience of the Bar area? Staff Training was going on and it was clear that the person being "trained" had some challenges - but from what we observed that was more down to the quality of the "Trainer"...overall I had reservations but I'd give it a 3/5 rather than the 1/5 for the Hilton.......

Room Tip: Away from the lift and a high floor would be a benefit......
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

At no time did I ever feel safe at this hotel. I arrived at 9:30 pm. The lobby area was inhabited by apparent prostitutes, assorted thugs, a man by whom his popularity I'm assuming was a pimp and a heavily sobbing and despondent washed out 50 something barfly. The room was worn. The bed uncomfortable. I couldn't get out fast enough. I have never left a review like this. I have literally over 1800 hotel nights experience and this one was in the top 3 worst. Never again.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank fradel61
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at aloft Philadelphia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear fradel61,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent visit. Safety and security of our guests is our first priority and we do not tolerate any illegal activity on the premises. Any activity reported to us will be forwarded to the authorities for appropriate handling. Thank you for letting us know.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

The Aloft Hotel brand is its non-traditional style. with emphasis on a modern and fresh look and a social atmosphere, which encourages guests to spend time in the lobby and meet other people. Rooms were basic, but functional. There is no restaurant, you have to walk across the Parking lot to either the Sheraton Suites or the Four Point. Staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. My GF liked the gel pad in the elevator.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at aloft Philadelphia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear rickn32058,
Thank you for choosing Aloft Hotels. We're so glad you loved the modern, fresh, open spaces. Thanks for sharing and we look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

I have to say I'm pretty surprised by some of the reviews left here. My room is very clean, the bathroom functional (with a terrific shower), free fast wi-fi and a very pleasant bar. Best of all, the staff has been friendly and accommodating.

Sure, there is no overpriced restaurant at the hotel, but if you need food the Sheraton is right next door and the snacks available at aloft are more than adequate.

As for the comments about lack of storage space in the room - it's an airport hotel. I can see if you were here for a week, but the majority of people will only stay for a night or two. The bed is comfortable and the room is modern, with lots of power points for charging cell phones, iPads and laptops.

It's a fantastic hotel at a great price, and next time I am in Philadelphia I will definitely book again.

Stayed: February 2014

Dear jimu16,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay in Philadelphia. We're thrilled you gave Aloft Hotels a chance and enjoyed your room, free wifi, and W XYZ bar. We look forward to welcoming you back to the area.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

I was stuck at Phil airport and had seen Aloft outside the airport before (from the air). Thought well, a good time to try Aloft. Rate was good compared to the others I called ( at midnight! ) It was funky is best I can say. Staff a little scattered. Elevator had like curtains draped in it. Room was not as clean as it should be. The beds are like situated almost on the floor. I didn't get a wake up call as I asked and the room was just kind of creepy. I don't like the curtain hiding the iron and other amenities. I guess just my taste but I couldn't wait for morning to come so I could leave. The room doors are heavy as one reviewer wrote. And the breakfast bar that you have to pay for whatever you select- it's nice they have something but after you pay there really aren't even paper plates or anything. Just a bag to go. ok for some I guess, but really after all said and done, yes I did get a shower and few hours sleep but next time I might consider just staying in the terminal all night. I think the staff tries to be nice, it just needs different management or something- and I good cleaning at least.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Don't waste your money. You seriously would be better off at the airport. When my travel coordinator told me options near the Philly airport and mentioned the Aloft looked nice, I said "sure" without bothering to check. MISTAKE. First of all, I don't know who this is intended to attract. Typically airport hotels are not the nicest, but what they lack in luxury, they usually compensate for in practicality. NOT HERE! Others have talked about the décor and cleanliness, which was relatively benign, although I did have an issue with the alarm clock 1.) being set to the wrong time and 2.) not going off. I only noticed because when I went to call the front desk for a wakeup call, I received a busy signal every time I called for an hour. But! I am going to talk about the food.
Do you like food? Breakfast? Here are your daily breakfast options from the "chef":
-Microwaved tater tots
-Microwaved stale english muffins with fake eggs, mystery meat, and velveeta sliced cheese
-Microwaved frozen pancakes with blueberry saccharine goop on the inside
-Breakfast PIZZA (which was a god-awful rubble of brittle sun-dried tomatoes, HOT cucumbers (?) cheddar cheese and fake eggs cut into inexplicable strips, all atop a stale pita. I should have known not to order this when the lady said, "Are you sure?"after I said I wanted the Breakfast Pizza. But as I had tried all the above, it seemed like the only option, especially since I wasn't willing to try the next one from a place such as this:
-Monte Cristo.
I am suspicious of any place serving a monte cristo to begin with, but this to me is the equivalent of ordering paté at your local gas station restaurant.
Speaking of which, the cafe also included many prepared food options similar to what one might find in a high school cafeteria, gas station, or airport quickie stop, which is why I said at the beginning… you may as well just sleep at the airport!

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear Elizalegs,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience in Philadelphia. We're sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay at our airport hotel. Aloft Hotel is a limited service hotel, catered to the self-sufficient traveler and does have limited food options. We offer a small bites menu at W XYZ bar, as well as, made-to-order breakfast options at Re:fuel and other pre-made salads and sandwiches of your choosing. Thank you for sharing your feedback.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

The carpet was filthy. Looked like vomit on the carpet by the bed. The floor by the sink into bathroom was dirty, had to wipe it down before walking on it and the wash rag reflected the filthiness of the floor. The shower was disgusting. We inadvertantly left property, when we called, we were transferred three different times and ended up with an answering machine - no one ever returned our calls. The room was extremely noisy.

We cancelled our second night reservation and opted just to stay at the airport all night. Would not recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Do Not Stay at the Aloft.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at aloft Philadelphia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Dear Verne S,
We're sorry to hear your stay did not meet your expectations. This is not the level of service we hope to provide for our guests. We have forwarded your comments to management. Thank you for sharing and we hope you will give us another opportunity to impress you.