“Real Deal Vietnamese Food in West Philly”
Review of Vietnam Cafe

Vietnam Cafe
Ranked #297 of 4,372 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Newtown, PA
“Real Deal Vietnamese Food in West Philly”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We hit this place several times a year when visiting my son in West Philadelphia. And we've never had a bad meal. The pho, and the rice noodle dishes are excellent. The restaurant is clean, nicely decorated, and the wait staff is efficient and usually friendly (some waiters can be a little brusque during the busy times but I believe that is due to the fast pace required to service a full restaurant). We ate "lunch" there recently at 3:00 p.m. on a Friday afternoon. We were half expecting that it wouldn't even be open at that time of day. They were, and they were happy to see us and we were surprised that so many other tables were occupied at such a strange hour.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Highliner

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Outdoor dining indoors; delectable food”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We were supposed to meet family at a brew house at the Firehouse, but when we arrived we were forced to sit outside on concrete in 86 degree sun, with no table umbrellas.

So we drove 3 blocks to Baltimore and 47th in West Philadelphia to this lovely, cool and serene restaurant, with a big free parking lot in back (on 47th). The lovely wood-and-glass buiding was built like a solarioum with huge door-windows that hinged open, floating cool breezes in through tropical plants and natural wood. There were 5 of us plus a guide dog and we were seated in the next room. When I mentioned it was very warm, the host immediatley opened a wide window and soon we felt the same cool breezes.

The food: my brother didn't think he would like Vietnamese food, but love their barbeque bowl with noodles. We all got a giant appetizer lazy-susan with fixings for summer rolls -- chicken,
greens, small grape leaves rolled over meat--all we could wrap in paper-thin "crepes" to make our own summer rolls. My husband as usual, got something hot-spicy. Everybody but me ate
and ate and still brought leftovers home for the next day. Everybody but me--I ate everything on my plate.

Prices: we were being treated, but prices looked good. Many university students there, so I assume it was fair. Food was top quality. Service was friendly, helpful, speedy. I felt like we were in a forest summer house for slow and leisurely evening. (P.S. They have a liquor license.)

I didn't think anyplace could equal our family favorite, Little Saigon in Upper Darby, but this has a whole different feel--like summertime eating outdoors, with screens. We'll go back soon.
The 2 places are different, equally wonderful. Little Saigon is mom and pop, everything cooked to order, a small, quiet well lighted place Vietname Cafe is serene yet bustling,
2 large dining rooms with all the large doors and windows wide open, lots of people yet plenty of space between tables and good soundproofing, so it still felt quiet. Two winners.

• Visited May 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Lovely restaurant in West Philly”
Reviewed May 6, 2012

I went to the Vietnam Cafe this past Saturday with my daughter and her fiance. The place is beautiful and clean with a very colorful atmosphere. It was quite crowded but we were seated after a very brief wait. The staff is professional and friendly and at the same time unobtrusive. It was a special occasion for us so we celebrated with cocktails. Both the Lemon Grass martini and Cosmopolitan were excellent. We shared the veggie spring rolls as an appetizer and they were crispy and flavorful. I got the grilled shrimp with broccoli and rice which was very good. My daughter and her fiance are obsessed with their rice vermicelli noodles bowls. The beef was melt-in-your-mouth delicious. We finished our meal by sharing a slice of the lemon cake that was so good. This is a great place to get together with friends and family for a terrific dining experience.

• Visited May 2012
philadelphia
“Great food, terrific value”
Reviewed April 23, 2012 via mobile

From pho to rice bowls to noodles - this place has something for everyone. Even my picky 6 yr old loves it here

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Reliable Good Meal in Nice Ambiance”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I've eaten here many times and highly recommend it. The food is excellent. The service is good. The ambiance is delightful. It's a good choice for dates, friends, colleagues, families or groups. The bathroom is spacious and clean and has a diaper changing table. They serve alcohol.

• Visited January 2012