“THIS IS NOT DIMSUM!!! But its a good chinese food rest”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Dim Sum Garden

Dim Sum Garden
Ranked #71 of 4,339 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Delivery, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Liverpool, New York
“THIS IS NOT DIMSUM!!! But its a good chinese food rest”
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

Went here with some friends and the food was good ish. However this restaurant is not dim sum. There are no carts of hot food. The "dim sum choices" are just dumplings and fried food. All of this is done alacarte from the menu. Its not a fun experience at all. They dont even have sesame beef or would accomodate the request. They will not make you food that isnt on the menu. The huge point here is this is NOT A DIM SUM RESTAURANT.

• Visited October 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Dim Sum Garden has moved! Sparkling location on Race between 10th & 11th St.”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

If one reads through most of the previous reviews, comments usually laud the food and (rightly so) have misgivings about the (old) location. Yes, the previous location was rough. The owners must have finally gotten the message because they put some serious effort into moving to a very nice and modern new place on Race Street between 10th and 11th St. I ate at the new digs last week and will take the better half there again tonight (we live nearby so have seen the new location under construction). Soup dumplings are for me the signature dish here - 8 succulent, hand made in real time dumplings (bite a side first lest you explode it all over yourself) for $5.95 is the best deal around. I have tried the scallion pancake a couple of times but found it just Ok--really just fried bread. I have stuck pretty much to the dim sum portion of the menu and found all dumplings in all varieties to be good to great. Other diners order from the larger menu, but I cannot comment. The wait staff is efficient but not real conversant so don't expect a lot of interaction. Cash only but the hit on the wallet is light!

• Visited October 2013
Maryland
“It's a dive, but you MUST go!”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I was in Philadelphia on business, and looking for an Asian restaurant. My Trip Advisor app brought up Dim Sum Garden. I remembered seeing it on a previous trip, but not going in because it looked dicey from the outside.

I read the reviews, and everyone loved it, so I went. I have to say it IS a dive in appearance, but I'm glad I stayed. This Dim Sum served from rolling carts. You go up to the counter and order, then either sit at one of a dozen tables, or take your food with you. Most took their food carry out, and judging from the appearance of the restaurant area, I can't blame them. But to do that would likely diminish the freshness of the food, so I took a chance.

I ordered the scallion won-ton's, the scallion cakes, and since my meal was under $10, I figured I hadn't ordered enough food, so I asked for a recommendation. They suggested the soup dumpling's, I agreed, and my meal was still less than $15.

I sat and in a few minutes the soup appeared. The broth wasn't overly favorable, but the scallion won-tons were amazing. I figured there would be about 4 in the bowl. There were TWELVE. And I still had 2 more items coming??? Less than 5 Won Ton's later, my scallion cakes and Soup Dumplings arrived.

The Scallion Cakes were delicious. Crunch outside, soft inside, and a mouthful of flavor in each bite. I lifted a soup dumpling into my mouth and took a bite from the side. OOOPS - Hot soup squirted out the side and almost doused a man at the table next to me. I mentioned something about how juicy these were, and he just gave me a nod. Next ones I ate upside down so the soup would spill into my wonton soup, adding great flavor.

I couldn't finish my meal, and took it with me. I gave it to a homeless man down the street with a warming about how juice the soup dumplings were.

Next trip to Philadelphia, this will be my first stop

• Visited September 2013
New York City, New York
“Excellent”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Maybe not the safest street, or the cleanest dining area for a tourist but if you gravitate towards "hole in the wall" places, I would add this to your itinerary. I was not very hungry but needed something for dinner on a Sunday night when the whole area seemed deserted. It was this or the convenience store. So I took a chance and ordered some vegetable buns to go. They were "hands down" the best I have ever had. And while I was waiting I watched the preparation. In very little space they did a good job. And it was not all frozen or premade- there was a guy in the corner just chopping and chopping and chopping. It was also not as fast as some places, but the food made up for the wait. Oh-and I will add-the prices are astoundingly low.

• Visited August 2013
Little Rock, Arkansas
“Great dumplings”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

This is definitely a hole in a wall, but sometimes those are the best places. Even though it is not much to look at, the food is very good. I enjoyed the dumplings and triple steamed buns. The noodles with minced pork are also good. The sauce is very flavorful. Service is very friendly and attentive.

• Visited August 2013