The Captain Whidbey Inn is a quiet, quaint, and rustic inn which has landed it on various "Best" lists over the years. This was a return trip for my wife and myself after not visiting for several years. Unfortunately the owners apparently think the quaint includes beds brought over from the old country by the captain himself. We had a room in the Lagoon buildings. The bed was hard; was swayed; and slanted foot to head. I would expect better in a flop house. We complained the next morning and the staff said we would be moved to a room with a "new" mattress. When we returned from sightseeing, we checked out the new room. Same crummy mattress. If this was a new one, these folks don't know a thing about buying a mattress. My wife discussed the problem with staff while I was on the phone looking for another place to stay when magically a room with a pillowtop bed appeared to be available. The second night was a much better sleep experience.
The rooms have stained carpets with cigarett burns. Real class. One of the chairs was covered with a massive coffee stain. The rooms are in need of major work. The inn advertises WiFi throughout the property. Whoever wrote that never tried connecting from the Lagoon buildings. Yes I got a signal but it was so weak it would not connect. The signal in the Inn itself was fine.
On the plus side, the restuarant, while having a limited menu, has excellent food and service. The grounds are beautiful, quiet and relaxing.
Unfornately we will not stay here again unless we hear that someone has actually tried to make this into a comfortable and clean place in which to stay. We will return to whidbey Island and will eat at this restuarant again but will find another inn.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Captain Whidbey Inn is an enchanting log inn that was hand-built in 1907. Located on the shores of Penn Cove inside the Ebey’s Landing National Historical Reserve, the Inn is centrally located for nature enthusiasts, island explorers and those seeking the charm of historic Northwest towns by the sea. Activities popular with guests include hiking, kayaking, cycling, antiquing, horseback riding, fishing, wine-tasting, and beachcombing. With both rustic and modern accommodations, the Captain Whidbey Inn offers three types of lodging: quaint log-walled rooms in the inn itself, romantic private waterfront cabins, and the more modern Lagoon rooms. Guests staying at the Inn will enjoy the various water views on the property and from many guest rooms, on-site dining in our restaurant, a fun happy hour in the tavern, Complimentary continental breakfast, parking and WiFi are included in each reservation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Captain Whidbey Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Captain Whidbey Hotel Coupeville
- Captain Whidbey Inn Whidbey Island/Coupeville, WA