“Fabulous location, OK accommodations”

Captain Whidbey Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Coupeville
Vancouver, Canada
“Fabulous location, OK accommodations”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Stayed here for a couple of days in July. I have to say that this hotel has a great deal of charm and is in a fantastic location... SO beautiful! We stayed in a lagoon cabin, which gave us the feeling of being in our own log cabin out in nature. Very peaceful and really lovely. On the down side, though, the room itself was more than a little "tired". A fresh coat of paint and cleaning up some of the mineral crud buildup on the faucets and shower would go a long way to improving the room experience! Ok, so the room wasn't exceptional, but as I mentioned the location is stunning and let's not forget that the staff was very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Many rooms have shared bathrooms, so if this is not for you, make sure you ask about rooms with priv...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank gnomike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Issaquah, Washington
Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

The Captain Whidbey Inn is lovely and the location unbeatable. The water views, the deer greeting you in the morning, the grounds and gardens are like a historic estate... All peaceful and pristine.

It felt as though they weren't quite ready for high-season, though. The hot tubs were closed for maintenance, the gardens in need of grooming and weeding, the wifi out half our stay and the staff's noticeable frustration made things seem more chaotic than they had to be. We wondered if the Inn is under new management or just didn't expect a busy June weekend?

Things to know: no TV, don't count on any wifi and the beds (at least in Lagoon Rooms) are small and uncomfortable. But don't come for any of that. Come for the beauty, the peace and quiet and the potential that they'll smooth their maintenance an processes before summer!

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank pattygalhnl
Puyallup, Washington
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Do not stay here if you want a good nights sleep. My friend and I stayed
for one night and got almost no rest....the bed was the worst I'd ever slept on....it felt like trying to
sleep on doorknobs! The room was old and the bedding was shabby. There was no tv and the room had a weird smell. We had planned on staying another night, but couldn't stand to. We had booked the room for $115 and ended up having to pay almost $200 with taxes....the clerk said there was a "mix up" and we were given a different room?!!!

Room Tip: View of lagoon was blocked by a large white tent!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
11 Thank Donna T

Travelers are raving about these Coupeville hotels

Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed May 31, 2014

My companion and I paid $176 per night for a shabby double room with threadbare sheets and dingy towels. Non-working wifi in room. A cheap, poor quality breakfast, with unripe and overripe fruit, and no warm food, even though they have a kitchen on site. Coffee pot in room didn't work. Hair in shower. Poor upkeep and maintenance in room. The website and photos are misleading. I've stayed in nicer mom and pop motels on secondary highways. A real ripoff for the money.

Room Tip: Stay away. You either get crummy cabin room as my friend and I did, or an upstairs room with a share...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
9 Thank Carol A
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I would highly recommend Captain Whidbey's Inn to anyone, whether you live here in the Pacific Northwest or if you're from out of state. The staff is wonderful, the grounds beautiful and the food in the dining room is superb! It is so nice and quiet that you will think you're much futher away from Seattle than you really are. Personally I reserved a Lagoon Room outside of the Lodge itself, as you share a bathroom when staying in the Lodge.
You're also near a quaint town named Coupeville which offers fun shops, restaurants and history.
Get away for the weekend and enjoy.

Room Tip: Reserve a Lagoon room unless you don't mind sharing a bathroom.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Seattle, WA
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I discovered this Inn through an online voucher and thought it the perfect place to unplug, but it had WiFi! Not that I'm complaining, mind you. It was perfectly charming and as expected from the description and photos on the Inn's website. Tiny uneven stairs you had to haul your suitcase up, floors that creaked as you walked on them, tiny rooms with a wash stand with hot and cold water - I thought I was going to get a wash stand with a pitcher of water! The bathrooms are in the middle of the hall.

I stayed at the Inn proper, not the cabins or the modern Lagoon view rooms. I had bought a weekday voucher with a charming garden view and was able to peek into the rooms with the glorious view of Penn Cove and sitting area as the unoccupied rooms had their doors open and were simply roped off.

My room was tiny and the floor sloped a little. Two large windows provided a lovely view of the gardens and I propped one open for fresh air. There is a library and two chairs upstairs and a room with a large fireplace at the entrance of the Inn - which I availed myself of both nights I was there.

The Continental breakfast is substantial with fresh cut fruit, juices, various pastries, bagels as well as yogurt and cereal. It was a pleasure to take a plate and a cup of steaming hot tea and sit outside in the sun on a chilly May morning with a view of Penn Cove. Truly a lovely place to unplug at.

Room Tip: The water view rooms are more expensive but if you want the private sitting space, well worth it.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Carolyn K
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Purchased voucher for 2 nights from LivingSocial.com. Prior to purchasing I called the Inn several times to ask if there was wifi in the rooms. I learned they had no tv sets so I took my ipad. I was assured that there was wifi in the rooms and I didn't have to hang out of the window to get it. This was not true for my room. There was no wifi. They sent someone over and he confirmed there was no wifi getting into that room. They did not have another room to accommodate me and my friend. I had upgraded the room when I booked it. I spoke to the staff about leaving the next day and wanted some type of refund. The owner was the only one that could handle the situation and he was not in town but the staff emailed him. I waited for some word from him the day I arrived. Waited the next day and finally it was too late to head all the way back home. He never returned my calls or responded to emails from his staff about the issue.Poor service from the owner. The staff was very nice and expressed they did understand why I was not pleased. You may wish to check out other places on the island to stay. I looked at a few and they were very nice.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
7 Thank tblanks253
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coupeville
Best Western Plus Oak Harbor Hotel and Conference Center
#2 of 16 in Langley
Harbor Inn
Harbor Inn
#1 of 1 in Freeland

Been to Captain Whidbey Inn? Share your experiences!