“Second best spot in Whidbey Island”

Ebey's Landing National Historical Reserve
Ranked #2 of 14 things to do in Coupeville
Coupeville, Washington
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Second best spot in Whidbey Island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

OK, número uno is Deception Pass, but this scenic gem, a "thin place" in the Celtic worldview, offers farmland that runs to the ocean, stands of old trees, eagle fly-bys, hikes on the water-view bluff, or on the beach, and up to the pioneer cemetery, cruise ships and submarines sailing by, the seals on occasion, surf fishing, Port Townsend and the Olympic Mountains right across the Passage to the west - it's amazing and beautiful.

Visited March 2013
3 Thank Tom J

Seattle, Washington, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Very picturesque”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

We came on a lovely sunny day and it was gorgeous here. In front, we had the water, the beach, and lots of driftwood (we also saw a submarine!). Behind us there were beautiful fields and barns as well as Mt. Baker, and to the sides we saw Mt. Rainier from afar as well as a lagoon. The cliffside trail was fun and the views kept getting better as we went!

Visited March 2013
Vancouver, Canada
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Beautiful walk!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and I hiked along the top of the bluff before dropping down along the path to circle back along the ocean. We enjoyed the scenery from both up top and on the water.

Visited February 2013
Singapore, Singapore
239 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 483 helpful votes
“A good day's hike”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

If you are from way of out town/state,you will likely miss Ebey as the Deception Pass Nat Park and the towns are where most visitors head to if they only got a day to spend en route to Seattle from BC or vice versa.

A half day hike will take you past farm lands, a cemetary, several charming farm houses, a beautiful coastline and beaches and ahike uphill passing through some pine forests on a narrow ledge overlooking the ocean.

If pictures paint a thousand words, check out my pixes on what you'll see on the hike. Have a good hike and bring some along water and snacks. Came in Dec and lucky to have a sunny day

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Highadventurer
Snoqualmie
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Views are wonderful, but directions are sketchy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

I found it hard to find good directions to this park. I had read recently that ownership was being transitioned (don’t remember from/to what agency) but found it listed as a National Park. The National Park site says you can follow signs, but I promise you I did not see one sign that pointed me in the direction of Ebey's Landing (I came from the North, over Deception Pass bridge). The driving directions on wta.org did not make any sense either when comparing to maps, so I drove to what looked like a parking lot on the maps (in the north, up by Lake Pondilla). Now that I have been there and found the National State Park site, parking at the very end of Ebey Road would also be a good parking spot in the south (http://www.nps.gov/ebla/planyourvisit/upload/ebeyslandingmap.pdf). My intent was to do a loop hike, but lacking good maps or directions opted for starting at the North parking lot and planned to figure it out from there. I thought if I started in the North, followed the Bluff Trail south until I reached the Fort, I could go inland and loop back. The problem with that is there were no trail maps whatsoever on site and once you got to the actual Fort, the trails were very intermingled and I could have gotten lost pretty easily. I opted to just continue south on the Bluff Trail and then turn around and come back. Now that I look at the National Park pdf map, it looks like a loop is possible, but I'm not sure what trail you'd take to make that happen. If you were to walk from north to south on the Bluff Trail it'd probably be about 4 miles one way, so be sure you're prepared for 8 miles if you don't have a car at each end. Also note the water spigots are abundant around the campground and Fort area, but all turned off. You'll need H20.

As I mentioned, I started in the North parking lot. Note, there is a nice bathroom north of the parking lot, but not marked or visible. There is a little beach at this point that is fun. I had the place to myself for a good 30 mins before 1-2 others moseyed in/out. Lots of logs, sea stuff and birds. I spied the same (I think) bald eagle coasting the coast line from the beach and the trail. Exit the beach, go back to the parking lot and look south in the woods and you'll see a trail going through the woods...this is the Bluff trail. It climbs a tad bit and then you take a few rollers through the woods and it seems like you're going away from the coast...be patient you'll drop down, turn left and then curve right and back to the coast. It's a nice trail that looks like it's maintained. As soon as you get to the top and start following the coast your views are amazing. Be careful, though…it’s straight down in most places. Keep the dog close! About a mile in you’ll get to the Fort. You’ll see a nice flat grassy land to your right with a picnic table and a few trees. While this might look like a great place to drop the leash and let the dog stretch it’s legs, don’t do it. The grassy park is used as a hang glider jump/landing point and the drop offs around the grassy areas are dangerous. Note that if you opt to go walk around the glider area, the spur trails to get back to the Bluff Trail are deceptively steep with loose gravel. I’d go back to the Bluff Trail via the Fort…

We continued for another mile or so passing the campground and continuing our enjoyment of the sea lanes, military aircraft, eagles and ever changing views. After meandering around some of the campground trails (well marked but no idea where each one went or how they interconnected) and other spur trails, we headed back to the car going North on the Bluff Trail. Views are slightly different this way, so the double backing isn't unbearable. Spent another 30 mins of solitude at the beach by the parking lot…we weren’t able to find Lake Pondilla – no maps or signs for it :).

This is a nice park that could be great with some attention and care. It’s very close to Deception Pass State Park (less than 30 mins) and you could hit both in a day trip.

Discover Pass required.