“Gourmet food but do not go in a hurry”

The Captain Whidbey Inn Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Captain Whidbey Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 29 Restaurants in Coupeville
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Not open every day for lunch so check. Limited selection. Three of us had different lunches and were all delighted. All ingredients were super fresh and beautifully cooked, which excuses the slowness. I had the best sea food chowder ever,so fresh and creamy. The chef was new and excellent. The waterfront lawn and picturesque old inn make a lovely setting. A reasonable price for such good quality.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

We have long awaited our time for a special occasion at Captain Whidbey. We sat outside on a fairly nice sunny day. The service was not the best, I guess we were expecting to be spoiled. The food was also mediocre and the price for the food was relatively high for the quality. Will be selective if we decide to return.

1  Thank Garys9992013
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

We had known of this place for more than twenty years. My mother-in-law has made the inn's "Washington Apple Cake" for the family on many occasions during that time. She was in town recently, so we thought we would try out the restaurant on a day trip. I don't know where to start. The property is beautiful and wonderfully situated. It was a little difficult to ascertain where to enter... The entrance door is not well marked. The inn itself is very quaint, but the tavern, where we were seated, was musty and cold. They apparently turned on the heat for us, but it never warmed up, although we were there for quite some time. We all ordered salads and along with them came a swarm of tiny little gnats, flying around our faces. It was a challenge to eat while dodging these creatures. They subsided when our chowder (finally) arrived, thank goodness. The Washington Apple Cake is no longer on the menu, but that was okay. We declined to stay for dessert anyway; we were more than ready to leave, because of the atmosphere in the tavern and the fear of the gnats' return! The rest of our drive was wonderful, but we won't be returning to the Captain Whidbey Inn. We thought it would be welcoming, but it was definitely not.

1  Thank alaskalolo
Reviewed October 12, 2013

After a long 3 hour drive, my wife and I were ready to relax. We gave the Captain Whidbey Inn restaurant a try and were delighted with our choice. I had blackened cod which was prepared with perfection and served over a medley of toasted corn and fresh cubed squash. My wife had clam chowder which came infused with salmon and fresh muscles in the shell. Delicious. Fresh bread hot out of the oven was worth waiting for. The presentation was very pleasant. Give it a try.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We love going to this Inn, 3 years ago, we spent the night and had a fantastic meal. Went back this summer, still enjoyed staying there, but our dinner was awful. Service terrible. My husbands salmon was raw, and my seafood pasta, the pasta was so over cooked it tasted like glue. It wasn't busy, and the 2 waitress kept disappearing. Service slow, and we found them rather crude. We asked what was wrong with the chef and she said she would give him a kick up his ...... A few days later we figured out that maybe there was no chef!! the servers must have been doing the cooking! The Breakfast could do with some updating too, Costco muffins, I don't think so, go to Anacortes and get some scones from the scone lady, and while there, buy the granola from the lady there too!! We got an email from the Inn recently and said they have a new chef, hopefully its true.

2  Thank Lorna R