“Crazy Hosts, Cluttered Spaces, Great Breakfast” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Compass Rose Bed and Breakfast

Compass Rose Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coupeville
Compass Rose Bed and Breakfast
You added Compass Rose Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
508 South Main Street, Coupeville, Whidbey Island, WA 98239   |
Ranked #10 of 14 Coupeville B&B and Inns
Kent, Washington
“Crazy Hosts, Cluttered Spaces, Great Breakfast”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

We stay at bed and breakfasts a lot but this place offered a lot of new experiences, ones we could live without. When we arrived, we had just been kayaking and were anxious to shower and use the restrooms. The owner had a different idea. Instead of showing us our rooms, she led us to the cluttered parlor for a "chat." She quizzed us on our weekend plans and proceeded to tell us when and how to do things. When we tried to disagree and say that we knew the area well enough to make our own plans, she would not have it and said that breakfast would be served so that we could take her advice rather than sleep in like we wanted. Our chat went so long, I finally had to ask to take a bathroom break. She said it was upstairs and after trying every other room, I found a restroom. I found out later that restroom was the unattached bath of our friends. (We thought their bath was attached.) I missed the rest of the "chat" so I don't know what it was about. Once I finally had a shower in the tiny bathroom, I felt better and we went out to dinner to a restaurant the owner raved about. It was okay. When bed time came around, I was happy to find a very comfortable bed, something too many b&bs are lacking. I was not happy to wake up several times that night, courtesy of one of the many noisy clocks. In the morning, we were served a wonderful breakfast in the dining room. It was over the top but I was not mad at that at all. Breakfast was the best part of the stay. We even got champagne because our friend was graduating. And champagne almost made everything better except now time has passed and we are no longer viewing the experience through alcohol. They took our picture for what we were told was IRS records. They later gave us the pic as a souvenir. Of course, the picture was not the best because we all just woke up and were told not to worry about posing, because it was just for documentation since they only take cash. One more thing, the entire time the couple were dressed like they were from the 1800's. Our friends were convinced they were bossy ghosts until they hugged us goodbye. Nope, not ghosts. Just crazy people.

• Stayed June 2011
6 Thank starannies

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Canton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

We had a delightful stay at the Compass Rose! The breakfast was beautiful and delicious. Our king size bed was comfortable. The house was filled with rare and beautiful antiques. We were treated like royalty! Jan and Marshall are delightful hosts. If we ever return to Whidbey Island, we will stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank KathyHex
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

The bed and breadfast website stated that the two guest rooms had private bathrooms. This was a misleading claim. The queen bedroom has a toilet, sink, and shower. There is no private bathroom in the king bed room. Instead, there is a bathroom in the hall outside the queen and large bedroom. From the moment that we arrived to the moment we left, we felt rushed. Apparently, the owners planned a full weekend for themselves when we were there, and they wanted us to check out as soon as possible on Saturday morning, so they could go to a baby shower. After traveling a long trip, I was so looking forward to a hot shower and a warm bed when we got to the Compass Rose. Instead, the owner insisted that we sit in the parlar once we got there to chat. She asked me a million questions that had nothing to do with me being tired and taking a hot shower. There is no walk room in the house. There was wall to wall antiques. The bed were extremely comfortable, and the breakfast was good. However, the dust made it hard to sleep and breathe. The three antique clocks that chimed every 30 minutes also made it difficult to sleep. There were large flies in the house. There was also a spider in my bed. My only advice to anyone would be to stay away.
They claimed to have Wifi, but they never gave me the passcode.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank sutherland101
susiepants
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

Well, what can I say? I had read the reviews in advance on T.A so wa expecting SOME antiques and a superb breakfast, but to arrive at a completely overcluttered house with no surface left bare was completely OTT. The owners were away and instead Erin was looking after the place as best she could, but when we were asked about what we would like for breakfast (we were all greatly excited after what I had read in the reviews about the great meal in store for us!!), she said she could only offer us eggs benedit or pancakes. Not the sumptious 3 course meal that another TA review had mentioned. Erin did say that if the owners had been there, then we would have been offered 40 something different options! Not worth the $120+ that it cost us!! We should have been offered a discount for the lack of breakfast choice (our daughter ate cereal that we had brought with us (didn't even have any cereal to offer her)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank susiepants
seattle wa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Marshall and Jan are energetic and very engaging hosts. We even got a ride in the Packard and a folder to remember our stay! But you won't forget your say because you will be so well treated and entertained. All their collected stuff is a kick, too. If you like dishes, they will show you their 52 sets. That does not include luncheon sets and little stuff like that. It's just a fun experience. (They told us that some guests had stayed with them 52 times, including a family that was with them for a solid month while renovating their house.)

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank pugetsound
Orange County, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

Just a place out of time, Captain and Jan made you feel at home, just the experience has made me want to go back and spend more time with them and their lovely home.
Breakfast was absolutely delicious, the best Eggs Benedict I have ever had, very gourmet. They truly enjoy entertaining strangers, and when you leave you feel as if you have known them forever, I certainly will never forget them.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank kbroad42
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2007

If you're visiting Whidbey Island you must stay at this bed and breakfast! I can't recommend it enough. It's a beautiful victorian house, wonderfully decorated with antiques, well located in Coupeville. I came over with my parents from England to attend a wedding at the nearby Jenne Farm. Jan and Marshall Bronson were brillant and made our stay memorable with their excellent hospitality. The rooms are spotlessly clean and comfortable and the breakfasts were fantastic. I have no hesitation in recommending this place to anyone planning a break in Whidbey Island.

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank JDW_UK
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coupeville
The Captain Whidbey Inn
Garden Isle Guest Cottages
Garden Isle Guest Cottages
#3 of 14 in Coupeville
4.5 of 5 stars 111 reviews

Been to Compass Rose Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!