“The magic of peace and quiet!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fort Casey Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coupeville
Fort Casey Inn
Ranked #6 of 13 Coupeville B&B and Inns
Kennewick, Washington
“The magic of peace and quiet!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Our stay was March 3-5, 2012

When my sister and I decided we wanted to take a Spring vacation weekend we thought about the Coupeville Mussel Festival since it had recently been featured in our Sunday paper’s travel section. Maggie has actually lived on Whidbey Island for a couple years while her first husband was in the Navy and stationed there. I, on the other hand, had never visited the area and was much more familiar with the other coast (read Main, Massachusetts, New Jersey…). Anyway, this was a chance to get out of the Tri-Cities and see some trees. The festival sounded like fun too!
This review isn’t about the festival however I’ll come back to that another time. I want to share with you folks my comments about the place we stayed named Fort Casey Inn a couple miles out to town and many years removed from today’s concept of a hotel. I really want to take this time to review the Inn since many of the reviews I read while looking for a place to stay were so negative.
For the record, we stayed in unit 1 in the first house and it was certainly quite clean. I can’t tell you the condition of any of the other units. We almost didn’t go here because of all the comments from previous guests who said the place was dirty. I even called back after making our initial reservation and spoke with Patty just to ask if she was aware of the bad comments and what her thoughts were. She assured me she had stayed there herself and would do so again if the opportunity arose. So, with some lingering concern we kept our reservation and decided to make the best of it. Go, stay and if it was not what we expected, never come back.
I am so happy we decided to stay there. These houses are exactly as described in the literature with lovely front porches and comfortable Adirondack chairs to sit and take in the view of the fields and marshland rolling toward the bay in front of the house. Each house is a two story duplex unit. The kitchen is a typical old country kitchen with a huge window over the small dining table, tall wooden cabinets and some period knick knacks. There is ample kitchenware, an electric stove, microwave oven, fridge toaster even a cork screw and wine glasses. There is dishwasher and plenty of supplies.
Caution, when you enter the house you come in from the backdoor into an enclosed porch area and there is a tendency to carry in pine needles and other debris from the outside if it’s been raining. There is a broom and dustpan to tidy up so you don’t drag stuff into the living room and kitchen.
From the kitchen you enter the living room that has a gas fired free standing stove that provides plenty of heat and a great deal of charm for the for the romantically inclined. There is no internet, phone or TV. This place is perfect for getting away from the nonsense of our daily lives and just sitting back and relaxing. Sitting out front on the porch with a glass of wine after dinner listening to the night sounds was so peaceful. And the fresh scent of the forest and rain on the air just after spring rainfall was more that we could have expected.
The second floor has a bathroom and two bedrooms. Please note, the stair treads are VERY narrow and you should be careful here. This is typical of older houses of this era. Additionally, be careful when you first come downstairs. Since the ceilings are quite high and rooms so tall the stairwell is not just steeper than you’re used to but there are more stairs than the average house. Both my sister and I stumbled with the last few steps the first time and we both commented on it, just a note of caution.
OK, here is the bad part. The term bed and board must have been invented for the mattresses. That is the only really negative thing I have to say about our experience. The mattresses in both bedrooms were the hardest I’ve ever seen. So make a note.
There is plenty of hot water in the bathroom and there is an old fashioned, cast iron, claw footed bath tub. I did ask Debbie about a shower in the house since I prefer a shower and some of the literature had stated that a couple of the units only had bathtubs. I was assured our unit had a shower. Well, it did but it was one of those hand held units that are almost useless except for rinsing out the tub after taking a bath. Yes, I was disappointed with not having a legitimate shower but I made the best of it.
The bottom line here is that this is a wonderful, charming, quiet and peaceful place to stay in amongst the tall pines with lovely views and few distractions. It’s clean and well maintained and the staff is very nice. I’d go back I a heartbeat and just might for next year’s Mussel Festival.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank James S
FCIManager, Manager at Fort Casey Inn, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to visit us and review. The Mussel Festival is a great time to visit the Island. We are updating our mattresses at the Inn and have taken note of your comments. We do have some units with showers, and others with clawfoot tubs with hand held sprayers. We try to make mention to all guests about this and apologize we missed the mention. Your comments are correct about the description of the homes and the historic nature. We hope you will return too!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Kirkland, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

There were 6 of us, 2 adults and 4 kids 3-13. We had so much fun wandering the beach, visiting the battlements, watching the orcas, sea lions, seals, and playing in the water. There was a heated pool available to us b/c it was summer-wonderful! If I was to back I'd take our bikes (it's only a few miles to Coupeville) and our tennis rackets. The kids loved all the exploring. We had deer for our neighbors. The kitchen had service for six. For this price it was well worth it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jennifer H
Thank you for your comments about your stay. We too love the pool in the summer and the bike idea is a great one! Some guests also bring binoculars to check out the bird watching on Crockett Lake or behind their rental! We hope you'll come back again.
Seattle, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

My husband and I just stayed at Fort Casey Inn over the Labor Day weekend. It was wonderfully restful and relaxing like always. We have stayed there many times and can't stop coming back. There are so many great places to visit and explore in the surrounding area. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: When making reservations it might be helpful to choose a Unit with a shower. Clawfoot tubs are nice...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Becky1012
Issaquah, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

These are officer quarters at historic Fort Casey. The porches overlook an inlet and farm fields. There is a full kitchen, living room, two bedrooms and a bathroom. Bathrooms vary from shower stalls to tubs, depending on the unit.

If you are like me, the solitude, stars, views, and the feel of these old houses make the stay absolutely wonderful. If you are someone who insists on all of the amenities, and loves prettied- up historical houses, the Fort Casey Inn is not for you. These houses have industrical carpet and old (but very clean) linolium and appliances.

The staff is wonderful, the units very clean, and the experience unique and wonderful

Room Tip: Some units only have bathtubs, some only showers.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Lois2272
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

Fort Casey Inn offers much to the traveller. First, there is the history of Fort Casey itself; it's pleasant to visit a miltary establishment and see some of the original equipment and to stay in the houses built for the Fort. Second is the area. It's near the ocean and with many paths through the woods. It's an excellent place to just stroll of engage in more strenuous activity. Third is the housing. Our unit, #1, was clean, comfortable and with decorations and furniture appropriate to the time Fort Casey was a military post. The unit was clean, the beds were comfortable and the kitchen with all the equipment necessary to prepare meals. There was even coffee and filters available. Fourth, it is close to the Keystone Ferry so we could walk from out unit to the Ferry, spend a day in Port Townsend and then return. This is the fourth time we've stayed at Fort Casey Inn and we shall be returning time and again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jack M
Ferndale, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

As we have driven back and forth to the ferry through the last few years, we have admired the old officers' housing units that are now the Fort Casey Inn. Our stay in early August was for only one night and included the grandparents (my husband and myself), our daughter and son-in-law and our two granddaughters, 8 and 5. Maybe we have toured and stayed at too many historic places coast to coast, but the other reviewers almost made me think we had experienced an alternate reality!
This is an historic property...i.e. it is OLD! As for cleanliness...our unit was spotless and the bathroom a pleasant surprise as it had all that we needed (plus additional supplies of TP, soap, shower caps, etc.). It all worked, there was plenty of hot water for showers, and "taking turns" for the bathroom brought back memories of all that "sharing" of facilities in the "olden days" (and being thankful for "indoor" plumbing that current attitudes seem to forget about!) Our only disappointment was the shortened swimming schedule that meant our grandkids couldn't be in the pool either the afternoon we checked in or the next morning. Our kitchen was light, pleasant and well equipped...we were sorry we only had time to make breakfast there. The sitting room was comfortable and had some interesting touches such as the pressed tin ceiling. We adults enjoyed waiting for the "but where's the T.V.?"...and then the kids remembered the Sound, saw the family of grazing deer and fawns on the lawn and later complained that bedtime had come too soon. We would all choose to stay again if we have the chance!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Redmond, Washington, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

Overall, we had a lovely time. However, the bed had a pretty serious swail to it, so I slept the first night on the couch--and woke up with a knotted muscle that is still bothering me! Sitting on the porch, reading together, watching the deer, and chatting with the folks in the other unit, was lovely. The kitchen was well equipped, although we weren't there long enough to make use of the cooking utensils. The living area and bathroom were fine. We didn't use the pool or the fitness center, so I can't comment on those. The best part of the Inn is its location. We took wonderful morning walks both days, one along the beach and one along the bluffs. So quiet and beautiful! Overall, my assessment is somewhat more positive than that of the other reviewers--although I agree that the beds were bad.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coupeville
The Captain Whidbey Inn
Anchorage Inn Bed and Breakfast
Auld Holland Inn
Auld Holland Inn
#4 of 6 in Oak Harbor

Been to Fort Casey Inn? Share your experiences!