“Great comfy way to visit Devil's Tower”
Review of Devils Tower KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Devils Tower
Devils Tower KOA
Reviewed July 4, 2011

We camped here one nite in late June. Campground was clean with roomy sites with lots of room for tents. Showers and bathhouse were clean with plenty of hot water. Best feature of this campground is the awesome view. It is right outside the entrance to Devil's Tower National Monument and the Tower is prominent from everywhere in the campground. We were treated to spectacular sunsets and a wonderful sunrise with the Tower becoming iluminated by the early morning sun. The restaurant at the campground is adequate and a bit of a throwback to the '60's but good enough.

Room Tip: Online booking worked just great
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed June 27, 2011

Keep in mind that we did not camp here. After seeing the prices we opted for the campground in the park itself right next door. Devil's Tower was $12, very nice and quiet. Flush toilets but no shower or utilities. We stopped at KOA to eat. Two school aged children waited on us. After 5 min of this is cute but please get an adult who can answer a few simple questions we were graced by a high school girl. A cheeseburger with onion rings and a soda was $16. I guess they get away with being the only eatery nearby. We paid for sodas and rode to town to eat. Be prepared to spend some cash at this place.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank tomahawk65
Reviewed June 3, 2011

Loved walking around Devils tower, however when we went to the Longhorn and ordered are lunch we could not believe we paid $38.57 for a buffalo burger just the bun and meat, no condiments, a cheeseburger that was still very pink inside and dripping with so much grease the bun was soggy, once again no condiments, a grilled cheese sandwich, we paid an additional $3.95 for natural chips, which were burnt. And to top it off we had two small pepsi drinks which added to $4.70 and a small chocolate milk which we where charged $3.25 for. The food was bad. Then as we pay, the lady at the counter asked us if we were locals because if we where we could get a discount. I guess they only rake the visitors. Will not go there again ever.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank orion42
Reviewed September 26, 2010

We arrived at 4:30 p.m. on a Friday and were told the office would close at 5:00 p.m. The restaurant was closed, the pool was closed, there was no movie, and the horses were not available. We visited Devils Tower, and it was amazing. The view from our cabin was wonderful. However, the cabin was not clean.

There was dirt, bugs, and cobwebs everywhere. Dust was all over the curtains and blinds. The refrigerator was filthy, with dirt caked on the door. The front door had dirt all over it. The toilet had hair on it, the shower had mold in it, and the bathroom sink had gunk on it and the countertop. The beds were sticky to the touch, as were the countertops. All of the utensils were dirty. We had to thoroughly clean it. We did talk to management about it, and they said they "would look into what kind of cleaning products were used." From what I could tell, there were NO cleaning products used. A bedroom window was broken, and had a bandaid across it to hold the panes together. One of the blinds was broken. Just really awful. When we went to walk around, there was dog waste everywhere.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
7  Thank bestofbeth2
Reviewed September 1, 2010

I have to admit upfront that I have a built-in prejudice against KOA Kampgrounds. This stems from my childhood, when my parents made us stay at dozens of various KOAs across the country on our annual cross-country road trips. KOAs almost always seemed to be stuck next to a major highway, busy train tracks, or some other loud and/or unsightly thing. We were tenters, and we could almost always count on KOAs to lack shade and scenery, and to have rocky or uneven campsites. And, you usually had to pay a premium price for them!

After I grew up and went on camping trips on my own, I avoided KOAs like the plague. But on a recent trip to Yellowstone with my family, I ended up in the vicinity of Devil's Tower with no reservations, and no spots available in the campground at the National Monument. Reluctantly, we went to the KOA -- and we're glad we did. This is by far the nicest KOA I ever saw. The location is perfect -- right at the entrance of Devil's Tower, with every camp site having a great view of the Tower. While most KOAs are geared almost exclusively to RVers, the Devil's Tower KOA has a large tenting section, with big, grassy and nicely shaded sites, including several right along the Belle Fourche River. The folks running the KOA were incredibly nice, even though the place was packed and they were very busy. We got one of the last spots available for the day.

The campground has the usual camp store and a restaurant that, while nothing special, is a welcome spot to grab a sandwich or some ice cream after a hot day exploring the area. They also show Close Encounters of the Third Kind every night, weather permitting. (kids liked it - I've already seen it at least five times.)

It's the tent camp sites that really shine here. They're large, fairly far apart from your neighbors, and most have good shading. NO highway noise, NO train tracks, NO airport noise, NO RV generators going on all night right next door to you -- just the sounds of birds and the Belle Fourche, and that spectacular view of the tower (especially in the morning at sunrise, and under the stars at night -- just awesome).

I gladly recommend this place.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank RidingwithJim
Reviewed August 21, 2010

I've stayed here for 15 years and it was always a great location but so-so accommodation for the price. This last year they have updated specifically the bathrooms and added wifi so even though its the most expensive KOA I stayed at $30/tent, considering location I am going to give thumbs up. The bathrooms use to be pretty bad, now they are acceptable. The showers are great, they are big and individual closets and hot water. Although there is 15 acres for tents, most of it is sunny. But we managed to get one of the great few shaded locations near the bathrooms.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2010

Yes, standard KOA fare, but the location is unbeatable. Not camping at the National Monument so this is the next best thing. Tip, do you laundry while the evening movie is running to avoid the crowds.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Devils Tower KOA? Share your experiences!