“A Natural Wonder”

Devils Tower National Monument
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This 870-foot stone monument, thought to have been created from the remains of a volcano, is the center of many Indian religious ceremonies.
Reviewed December 26, 2013

This is one place you need to visit. It's just amazing to see what nature can do, The native Americans view it as a religious experience. I would call it a natural anomaly.

1  Thank qopel
Write a ReviewReviews (2,790)

Reviewed December 22, 2013

This imposing rock tower is the remnants of molten magma rising to the Earth's surface from volcanic activity millions of years ago. It's 865ft high and the columns of rock soaring above the landscape are truly an amazing sight. We arrived around lunchtime and there were visitors everywhere but we managed to find a car park. Be sure to take the short walk to the base of tower to see the boulders strewn around the bottom and the vertical columns of rock. As we left the tower we saw a whole meadow full of prairie dogs peaking out of their burrows. What a treat to see these gorgeous creatures.

1  Thank Nan S
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

I love Devils Tower, and as you approach from any direction the views change. Once there, the vertical rocky texture is fascinating to study and photograph. Sunrise and sunset cast beautiful light, as well as snow and thunderstorms. The drive through the Black Hills is well worth the trip.

1  Thank deeda c
Reviewed December 5, 2013

This was a specific destination trip for us. Pictures of the tower do not do justice to it. The rock formation is outstanding to view in person. We strolled around the base on the 1.3 mile paved trail. There are many interesting observations in the rock face that differ if you look closely. You can clearly see the old wooden ladder pieces still in place 3/4 of the way up used on the first assent to the top in the late 1800's. The information signage is wonderful. Just about any one could walk this trail but wheel chairs, dogs and smoking are not allowed on the trail. You can not leave your dog in your car at the parking area as well, So, no dogs to this site if you are going to get out of your car and hike. A real nice day, makes me wish I could still climb.

2  Thank Poudre1
Reviewed November 28, 2013

On our way east from Yellowstone I suddenly saw a marker which said Devil's Tower. I remembered it was featured in a movie and much to my husband's chargrin I insisted that we detour to take a look if only to mark it off the Bucket List. Once again our senior pass came in handy and I advise all to get one. This was a very interesting National Park and we were fascinated by the climbers we could see scaling the rock which is a geological wonder. We did not have time to explore longer but I saw several hikers starting out to circle the rock. If not your actual destination I would strongly advise not to miss out on this one.

2  Thank cargo1962